News:

• April 26, 2024, 08:11:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jett60 with Windy's pipe tests  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Jett60 with Windy's pipe tests
« on: October 24, 2016, 05:39:22 PM »
Hi Everybody,
I have tested my stubborn Jett60 with Windy's one baffle diverging/cylindrical carbon composite pipe.
The results are attached.

I have a question for all of you: what planes will you recommend for each of the propellers except of Zinger that indeed is a canoe paddle rather than a propeller. I would like to build something well known that will fly well with one or more of the setups presented in the attachment, instead of endlessly tuning the setup to find this one and only elusive perfection.

I believe that 53 oz. max stunt plane with ~630 in^2 wings and partially build-up fuselage will fly well.

What are your suggestions?

Regards,
Matt

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Jett60 with Windy's pipe tests
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:36:14 AM »
Matt I don't think anyone considers picking an airplane to mate a prop.  You really need to do it the other way around.  You DO mate an airplane to a chosen power plant.  For the Jett .61 on a pipe 630 is acceptable but minimal.  You'd better build it very light.  Your 53 ounces?  Good luck with that.  The hardware alone including engine, coupler, pipe, tank, wheels, prop, spinner, and fasteners will be about 25 ounces.  Most covering and finishes will average 10 ounces.  That leaves something like a Ringmaster for an airframe to maintain your 53.  Odds are you might build a little heavier than a master so your wing loading will run pretty high for 630.  I'd suggest a known design over 660 sq. inches and find the right prop for your finished product.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 07:34:52 AM »
Hi Dave,
I know that my approach looks weird but the engine is weird too.
This particular Jett60 is a hybrid of old and new parts and does not run like "normal" Jett. Specifically, it could not reach the ground RPM that are expected from Jett60 on certain props., no matter what I did with variables like fuel, venturis, NVA, glow plugs etc. This deficiency manifested itself very clearly when the engine used Jett's header/muffler only and there was no pipe.

Without going into too many technical details that are described in my previous posts, I can tell you that this engine has some form of fuel transfer timing problem.
You probably know that timing is a very sensitive mechanism and minute differences in ports geometry and surface roughness in critical areas have large impact on the overall engine performance, power, RPM and torque.

Yesterday's tests showed, for the first time, that this engine run better with pipe. Perhaps I was simply lucky when I set the pipe working length (18" and 1/8"), but the ground RPM a little bit below full 2 cycling were much higher than when using only header/muffler with other variables unchanged.
This means that the pipe is "helping" the engine to improve the timing problem, whatever the true nature of this problem is.

The RPM increase on 3blade carbon composite 11' and 7/8'x4" Bolly prop. is especially encouraging and, in my opinion, allows to start thinking about the stunt plane, lets call it the Advanced Stunt Trainer (AST) that will be build around this engine using this (or equivalent) prop and the pipe.

The entire power plant (Jett60 with header, propeller, propeller nut, pipe, pipe silicone connector and the connector clamp) weights about 500 grams (17.6 oz.).
660 in.square wing, lightly build with bellcrank, bellcrank mount, bellcrank to pushrod wire connection, leadouts and light heat shrinkable covering - 375 grams.
Partially build up (front portion only) fuselage with partially hollowed maple engine mounts, Sullivan fuel tank, carbon composite landing gear, light wheels and covered with light covering - 450 grams. Tail surfaces - 80 grams (very conservative). RTF model estimated weight -1405 grams (49.56 oz.). Even if I underestimated the RTF weight by 3 oz., the plane should fly ok for the training purposes with the wings loading around 11 oz./sq.ft.

I have learned to successfully mix different structural materials (foam, balsa, carbon composite stiffeners, Depron, various coverings etc.) and can build very lightly, maintaining reasonable stiffness and strength of critical elements.

Regards,
M

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 08:17:29 AM »
Matt I remember now a thread you had about this engine.  I know Jett's very well and think this one of yours is suspect.  If it were me I'd send it to Dub Jett for a shakedown before I'd wrap a new airplane around it. 
On your weight budget,  it seems quite optimistic to me for an airplane that will stand up to the daily rigors of flying.  Inquiring minds want to know so keep us informed. 

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 09:05:32 AM »
Hi Everybody,
I have tested my stubborn Jett60 with Windy's one baffle diverging/cylindrical carbon composite pipe.
The results are attached.

I have a question for all of you: what planes will you recommend for each of the propellers except of Zinger that indeed is a canoe paddle rather than a propeller. I would like to build something well known that will fly well with one or more of the setups presented in the attachment, instead of endlessly tuning the setup to find this one and only elusive perfection.

I believe that 53 oz. max stunt plane with ~630 in^2 wings and partially build-up fuselage will fly well.

I generally agree. These ground tests are getting you pretty much nowhere. I have no experience with the Windy pipe on the Jett, and it's definitely not an established system, but your numbers are in the ballpark. You hardly need a 60 to fly this size airplane - if nothing else works, put an APC 11.5-4 on it and treat it like it was a 40VF.

That's probably not a realistic weight, and it is certainly not necessary to build it that light.  For example, the first Thundergazer is about 67 ounces and the second is about 65 ounces. That's with 630 square inches. That's much more realistic as far as weight goes - and it is also about the weight of almost all of the successful airplanes of the last 25 years.   It's certainly possible to build it that light but you will be sorry.

Brett

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 05:13:32 PM »
Brett,
Without the tests, I would not be able to see for the first time the effect of the pipe.
It is not getting nowhere - it is learning the things still new to me.

Building light and structurally weak models is undesired but building lightly and structurally adequately to the task is, I believe, the Holy Grail of the entire exercise.

Regards,
Matt

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 05:45:55 PM »
Brett,
Without the tests, I would not be able to see for the first time the effect of the pipe.
It is not getting nowhere - it is learning the things still new to me.

Building light and structurally weak models is undesired but building lightly and structurally adequately to the task is, I believe, the Holy Grail of the entire exercise.

Regards,
Matt

BUT Light weight is not the holy grail, building an airframe that is compatable with the rest of the SYSTEM is the holy grail.. you CAN be to light ( I hve not achieved it but it has happened)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 06:08:11 AM »
Guys,
They have not found the Holy Grail yet but they (whoever they really are...) keep searching.
I have not found the design yet that can be treated as my perennial 60+ size stunt plane but I will keep searching.

I will design and build something in the 600+ sq.in wings category with Jett60 with pipe as is right now. It will be build as light as feasible using the mixture of available structural materials (balsa, Depron, carbon composite etc.) and will have partially build up fuselage for stiffness.
The weight budget will be published on this forum and I will update it while the project progresses.

When the thing is RTF, I will fly it first and then ask two of the best pilots in my club to fly it and assess it. If they tell me it is ok., I will fly it happily ever after practicing those tight corners that will become my personal Holy Grail for the next season.

If the thing does not fly well with Jett60 with pipe, I will install Jett76 and repeat the drill. I may also remove the ICE mount and the tank, clean everything, and install one of my 60-70 size electric motors.

If the thing does not fly well because the aerodynamics of it is at fault, I will retire it to my garage and keep searching for the perennial 60+ size stunt plane.

Regards,
M

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 06:52:37 AM »
Matt I sure am glad you are here and wish you luck.  I don't know what your goals are and we all have our own reasons and ways to enjoy the hobby.  If you want to really develop your flying skills quickly I can say from personal experience it's too easy to get bogged down trying to reinvent the wheel.  I spent some years doing that and now know I'd have been better off just using equipment like most everyone else had been using and pour it all out at the flying field rather than in the workshop.  Plenty of time for the design work later.
The rest I would say about the super light airplane.  I've built a few.  They don't last very long unless it mostly hangs on the wall.  Hollowed motor mount and light front ends yield vibration problems and shake the airplane apart.  Spindly wing ribs crush over time as doped covering shrinks and eventually smashes soft ribs.  Bell cranks can pull out.  Landing gear can be yanked out in the grass  unless you won't fly over grass which means you can't travel to contests much because most now are flown on grass.  Stress cracks can ruin a beautiful airplane in a hurry and I've seen a few simply come apart in the air,  including one of mine.  The worst of it is the realization of the time wasted until the 'light' comes to you.  Wish you the best!

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 09:14:50 AM »
Hi again Dave,
I completely agree with the flying part.
I was trying to fly as much as I could this season and, finally, after three years and four good planes smashed to splinters, I am able to fly the entire pattern more or less ok. but the quality is poor. I have lost a lot of flying time repairing my RToucan with Evo60NX in May and trying to tune my electric LGW to fly better. Because I smashed my best flier (Toucan with Magnum Pro 45) and seemingly indestructible Parrot (with EVO36 CL), for two months LGW was the only flying object I could use.

It was LGW (Little Great White) with Cobra 2812/14 that finally allowed me to fly the entire pattern. This ugly paper-foam-paper(PFP) kit plane flies now so well that I would recommend it for anybody who wants to learn the pattern for the price of roughly $300 CAD for the kit, motor, three 3S batteries and KR governor. The plane was repaired seven or eight times after crashes but, because it has the front crash zone, such repairs are fast and easy. You simply cut out the damaged front part, glue new PFP pieces, insert the cassette with the motor and off you go.

I will be practicing indoors this coming winter and, hopefully, the quality and consistency of my pattern will improve a bit.

This thing with Jett60 is the attempt not to give up on a good engine that, I believe, is simply misunderstood.

Yes...I could have sent it to Dub for treatment but in total it will cost less if I simply buy new 60-61-65 bar stock Ro-Jett. It is total cost as I spent already more than $200 USD trying to repair Jett60 after the terminal crash of my Great White and so on and so on..

I have Ro-Jett76 and big plans for it so I am simply trying to use the existing Jett60 for something.

Lets stay in touch,
Best Regards,
M

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 12:01:31 AM »
My PA .51 and OS .46VF AAC both launch at around 10.5k+/-, so your Jett seems to have enough suds. I would throw away the #1 & #2 props. On my .46VF, for awhile I used a 12.25 x 3.75 APC re-carved into an 11.5 scimitar that worked ok. Worked better on a 3-blade Brian Eather 12-4UC cut to 11.5 and pitched up in the last 2" to 4.75". The PA .51 worked well on a 3-blade 12-4UC BE, but IMO, that was a pretty heavy load on the .51. The APC's might be useful props, at least to start with. A 3 blade seems to run smoother...or possibly the proper balance just is more obvious?   

There is no RO-Jett .65 anymore, but the .61, .67 and .76. Paul said the .76 liked a bigger prop than his airplane liked, but it didn't sound like he had any big 3-blade or 4-blade props. Otherwise, he liked the engine. He went back to the .61. Paul does an extremely hard corner; big prop diameter hurts that a lot.

Regarding the airplane...don't re-invent the wheel. Build an Impact, Shrike, SV-11, Saturn or something Trivial or Imitating and get on with it. The Imitation sounds perfect.  y1  Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 12:54:19 AM »
We will clarify this : watching the world superbikes , nothing personal , BUT ,

Though the  GP1 or whatevertheycallit top line ones WILL get around ' the Track ' quickest . Its Not Where youd start .
Because say you could get around two laps without falling of , or getting spat off , wouldnt mean it was a good idea
to enter a RACE on one , at first .

Generally someone starts somewhere less expensive in every respect , particularly in regard to ' miscalculations' , while
becoming acustomed to the proceedings .

Not to say that putting around the couse for a few laps wouldnt be intresting . But one wouldnt go balls out untill
theyed cut their teeth on something more manageable , also becomeing familiar  with dialing in the equipment .      THUS ,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will that thing run pipeless ? Equvalent of a Toungue Muffler ??

Bob Hunt says He is of the Opion that THIS Works , & His Saturn is purloined from it, in print . So fairly safe there as He would apear to be qualified to comment on such things . ;).
Planes can be like motorcycles & Cars , and Trucks now too I guess .
Youd learn far more on say a J.A.P. 1000 twin , a 31 Crysler 75 roadster , or a 41 chev or Dodge 6x6 than you ever could in one of these consumer friendly ergonomically something wonder toys .
In fact someone who was licenced in one might not even be able to get a Real W.O. Bently In Gear . Let alone moving . Saying nothing of winning Le Mans with it .

Getting the Hours Up would seem to be your soundest proposition , rather than making expensive holes in the ground .. A few of the classic 35 things are remarkably close to ' modern ' numbers ,
The Sig Chipmonk rib set being popularly used for many .

Thatr Cobra 7 with solid sheet aft would be quick n easy & help to balance it . YOU need something thatll take the odd glancing blow without  destroying itself . Wing Gears being dubious there .
Something that can & WILL be nailed back together to continue the fight , till your happy & even ENJOY going out in a 15 - 20 Knot battle with the elements would seem more logical .

A ultra light IS likely , as described , to Blow Apart in severe turbulance . A Good Mainspar , Belcrank platform , bulkhead & bearers tied together securely ,
a Stiff twist Resitand control system and aft fuselage , to maintain alignment in severe conditions would be of use , where a 10 Oz Sq Ft sucker would be blown into the next century in turbulance .

A design I have for balmy warm summers days would do a better emulation of a helicopters rotor if ' the blow ' was 25 or over .

Two Hundred Hours of Flying the Schedule , and you should be able to hold your own . 20 Hrs Nightflying earlier iihe war had Hurricane Night Fighters suffer about 90 % terminal difficulties .
Latter 200 Hours pre hostile engagement had them making a meal of the nasties , with about 10 % casulties max. overall .

So get out & FLY , ANYTHING . If its a dog youll learn twice as much taming it .  Formular Vee has better apeal ab initio , than hitting a wall at 200 mph plus in ' pro ' racing . Get the Hours Up .
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:55:54 AM by Matt Spencer »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here