News:

• April 17, 2024, 09:42:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glow Plug for RO Jett  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Glow Plug for RO Jett
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:28:41 PM »
I have had excellent results for years with my RO Jett motors with the Thunderbolt RC Long Glow Plug. I have one left !!!. It appears that they are
no longer available. What other reliable glow plugs have you folks been using. This is for RO Jett motors only please.
Anyone using the Merlin 2005 in RO Jett with muffler?  I use a Ro Jett 67 RE. I hate to switch brands as the Thunderbolt RC Long plugs have been
excellent. Please this is for RO Jett motors only.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Glow Plug for RO Jett
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 07:48:16 PM »
I have had excellent results for years with my RO Jett motors with the Thunderbolt RC Long Glow Plug. I have one left !!!. It appears that they are
no longer available. What other reliable glow plugs have you folks been using. This is for RO Jett motors only please.
Anyone using the Merlin 2005 in RO Jett with muffler?  I use a Ro Jett 67 RE. I hate to switch brands as the Thunderbolt RC Long plugs have been
excellent. Please this is for RO Jett motors only.

I have only used Merlin (a flight or two), Enya (a flight or two), Thunderbolt R/C (one flying session), and Thunderbolt 4-cycle (1000+). I got a good supply of the Thunderbolt 4cycle/large bore 2-stroke plugs right at the end. So I haven't tried anything else.

I would suggest the Glow Devil #300 to start with, but you are going into unknown territory. As always, with ABC/AAC engines, be *very careful* on the first flight, and in particular, check it out in inside round and inside square loops whenever you try a new plug. If they are going to flame out, that's where it will probably happen.

Otherwise, experiment away - I have had good results on other engines with a lot of different plugs, and chose the Thunderbolt 4-cycle because it appeared to give slightly better power (as first discovered by Ted and David on the PA, after we started using the Thunderbolt R/C at Paul's suggestion (and because they were only 89 cents!)) over the R/C or other plugs. Of course you can tell if it's never going to work by checking for an RPM drop when you remove the battery. The only plugs to *never* use are Rossi, they have been implicated time after time in the flameout-like-you-flipped-a-switch problem dating back to the demise of the Temptation.

Brett

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 08:13:53 PM »
Thank you for the reply Brett.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 08:30:28 PM »
Thank you for the reply Brett.

BTW, I thought the engine run in the Spitfire last week was absolutely excellent!

Brett

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 05:36:37 AM »
Walter I've used nothing but the Glo Devils for a decade now in my RO Jett .40's , .61s and .76s with perfect results.  I've used both idle bar and open plugs but prefer the idle bar.  Actually since that's all I buy I use them in every engine I have with good results.
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 02:35:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply Glow Devils  on the way!

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 04:42:27 PM »
The  Merlin  2004  and  2005  works very well in the  Jett

Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 11:07:26 PM »
The  Merlin  2004  and  2005  works very well in the  Jett

Randy - I have a couple of Merlin plugs that won't work with my McDaniel battery - the circular cut on the thread side of the hex section appears to be too large in diameter for the clip to attach. I got it started by holding it in place, but without that, it wasn't usable in my setup. Has this been corrected?

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 12:33:45 PM »
    Randy - I have a couple of Merlin plugs that won't work with my McDaniel battery - the circular cut on the thread side of the hex section appears to be too large in diameter for the clip to attach. I got it started by holding it in place, but without that, it wasn't usable in my setup. Has this been corrected?

Brett

I don't know  but  I will  check for you, I have had no problems with my ni starter  and it is a McDaniel...  only problems I have ever seen was  with  Enya plugs .  I will try to pull a new  starter  and  report back

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 01:32:16 PM »
I don't know  but  I will  check for you, I have had no problems with my ni starter  and it is a McDaniel...  only problems I have ever seen was  with  Enya plugs .  I will try to pull a new  starter  and  report back

Randy

I did use my ni starter , and 2 others and there is no problem, I did not have a new McDaniel ni starter , but  will  order one in  to try

Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 03:50:25 PM »

I did use my ni starter , and 2 others and there is no problem, I did not have a new McDaniel ni starter , but  will  order one in  to try

Randy

It's been a while, but the new-style* starter (the kind with the crimps on the sides, instead of the ends), didn't seem to be able to grab because the gap between the head and the hex was too short.

Brett

*new being a relative term, they changed them in the late 90's-early 2000's. Randy already knows this, I think, but not everyone. Overall, there are two important changes - the barrel that connects to the glow plug is much thicker, and the crimps are pushed into it entirely from the side, and opposed to peening over the ends on the original. The other important change is that the wire from the positive side of the battery is coiled up and hard-crimped to the center terminal. The original version had a sliding contact. The new version  puts out much more current and it's much more reliable.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »
IF I remember correctly, RO-Jett sells glowplugs in their own brand. I've only seen one, that Mike Haverly got, some years ago. At the time, after looking at the details of the body and post, we decided they appeared to be the same as a Thunderbolt, so were pretty confident that they were made by Ohlsson Corporation, as were Thunderbolts and K&B. An alternate would be K&B glowplugs, available from MECOA. They're likely made for them by Ohlsson Corp. also. Zinger was another brand that appeared to be made by Ohlsson Corp. Would like to know where SIG plugs are made, if anybody knows.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »
IF I remember correctly, RO-Jett sells glowplugs in their own brand. I've only seen one, that Mike Haverly got, some years ago. At the time, after looking at the details of the body and post, we decided they appeared to be the same as a Thunderbolt, so were pretty confident that they were made by Ohlsson Corporation, as were Thunderbolts and K&B. An alternate would be K&B glowplugs, available from MECOA. They're likely made for them by Ohlsson Corp. also. Zinger was another brand that appeared to be made by Ohlsson Corp. Would like to know where SIG plugs are made, if anybody knows.  H^^ Steve

The Ro Jett plugs were made  by Al at Merling  if your  talking about the  flat black  or  black ones

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here