News:

• April 23, 2024, 01:16:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FP.20 by Dan  (Read 4316 times)

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
FP.20 by Dan
« on: February 13, 2006, 03:51:58 PM »
I have never seen this piece until Dan sent it to me. I have made it available from this site for those who wish to read it. I haven't read it as of yet but I will at a later time Thanks Dan

http://www.stunthanger.com/images/FP.zip
AMA 12366

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Re: FP.20 by Dan
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 11:07:28 PM »
I was confused about the 2 versions after reading it. Can an iron liner be just as good as the ABN version by swapping in an ABN piston and liner, or does the different case design matter as well?

Thanks,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:45:21 AM »
From what I've read the case design shouldn't matter.  However, the non-abn engines typically came with the 842 muffler instead of the 2030.  When you calculate the cost of acquiring the correct muffler, and the abn piston/cylinder assembly it makes far more sense to just hold out for an ABN engine to begin with.  They aren't that hard to find.  Expect to spend about $40 each for good used ones on Ebay. 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:56:54 AM »
I was confused about the 2 versions after reading it. Can an iron liner be just as good as the ABN version by swapping in an ABN piston and liner, or does the different case design matter as well?

Thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken,

The 2030 muffler, 9-4 APC prop, and stock set up is the key to the "pipe like" run the engine gives.  And it does work as advertised!  I have two set ups and a friend also has one.  One of mine is a steel liner engine that was converted to ABN, the other is still iron/steel.  My friend's is iron steel.  The difference is minimal if at all. 

My osn and I ran OS 40VFs for a long time (and still do at times) and this FP 20 set up is about identical in run characteristics.  If you change anything at all, it is almost certain you will not get the desired results.

This is NOT a traditional 4-2 run, and the 25FP set up identically doesn't run the same either.  It is just one of those "freak" things that Brett found.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:07:35 PM »
Who else but Dan could write 36 pages on "how to run a motor straight out of the box"?

Brett

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 08:48:04 PM »
Who else but Dan could write 36 pages on "how to run a motor straight out of the box"?

Brett

Yeah, well there is just a bit more to this...

A few months ago Brett properly chided me a bit for "over-selling" the 20FP w/tune-up by you-know-who. We had a mild exchange wherein Brett caught me in an error of semantics. Details never...

My reaction: You ain't seen nothin' yet!

Yes, it is a long piece. Better organization would cut it down to, oh, a mere 15 pages. (Insert insipid smiley-face icon.) But as long as I was actively flying the 20FPs I decided to pass along everything I had "discovered," including some pretty serious minutiea such as part numbers that are hard to come up with.

And a lot of people tell me they have for their first time had real success in flying CL Stunt using the information provided.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 11:42:59 PM »

And a lot of people tell me they have for their first time had real success in flying CL Stunt using the information provided.

I was just kidding, of course.   That's exactly why I did the entire  project - to get something that people could bolt up in place of the usual Fox/McCoy,etc  motors on profiles and get a reliable run. Reliable turned out to be pretty easy. Most of the motors I tried were far more consistent than Foxes on profiles, and provided better performance in every case. That's not setting the bar very high.

I also wanted to obviate the need for the local "engine expert" to provide "improved" (i.e. butchered) versions of various unsuitable R/C 40s, principally, the 40FP. I can see from very recent events, say, last weekend,  this is still a very valid concern. Now,  with the 40FP long gone, the local "engine experts" have taken up the task of "improving" the LA40 and 46 - to the point that now we have super-gutless 46LAs that won't fly the airplane, instead of super-gutless 40FPs that won't fly the airplane. I absolutely HATE having to point out to someone that their brand-new "Magic Motor by Joe Blow" for which they paid 3x retail runs poorly and with half the  power than a box-stocker. I was to the point of trying to track down a Fox for someone to replace their"improved" 46LA *to get more performance*. If you are going to buy a trick motor, make sure it's from someone who knows how to do the tricks. But that's a diatribe for another time....

But the 20 was SO much better than the others that I would rank it with the very best setups on the very best piped motors. And, you don't really need to know *anything* about it aside from a few simple things, and the most important is that *you don't need to do anything to the motor*; in fact, anything I have seen or have seen others try just messed it up. Most people have NEVER had this quality of run on any airplane at any time, and most really never realize that the motor run they currently have is less-than-ideal.

I'm probably not going to do it, but I think it would be just dandy if someone took up the reins and redoes the experiment with engines that you can still buy.  Use the 20 as the standard, and see if any of the available cheap (<$75) motors, with no or very minimal external mods, can match it. Use the same guiding principles, i.e. run AS LITTLE PROP AS POSSIBLE, don't go over about 4.5" of pitch, avoid a 4-stroke like the plague,    use only props you can get at any hobby shop, allow only extremely minimal mods, and make sure it runs dead-nuts reliably on a profile like a Twister.

Brett

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 01:52:51 AM »
Brett, not quite <$75.00 but the Brodak .25 is as close as anything I have found. Try one and let me know if you get the same impression I did.

Same setup as the FP-20 running in a rich two stroke except I had to go to a higher pitch prop to get the same lap times. Have only tried 3 props as I don't have a large selection of 9-10 inch props. Right now I'm using a GMA 9-6 wood which looks just like a Rev-up but with round tips. This prop works well but not easily found and therefore doesn't fit with the easy plug-N-play setup you are after.

The Brodak .25 will bolt right in to an FP-20/25 mount so trying one isn't a big deal. Tell you what if you would like to play with one I will order one, break it in properly and let you have it at dealer cost. I would give it to you but just can't afford to do that right now.

Bob

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 09:26:42 AM »
Even if the iron piston version runs like the ABN version, it can't be run on the same fuel, since it will require more oil.  If run on the same fuel as the ABN version the piston/liner fit will evaporate.  The ABN is more desirable and will cost nearly the same as the iron version.  There really isn't much reason to settle for the older engine.

The FP 20 setup works, but you can change things in the article and have it still work correctly.  It's just not recommended and any change could cause it to not work properly.  If anything it works too well.  It's kind of boring... Fuel it, start in one flip, runs exactly the same till its out of fuel... over... and over... and over... and it never consumes a significant amount of fuel... Boring.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 10:24:13 AM »

The Brodak .25 will bolt right in to an FP-20/25 mount so trying one isn't a big deal. Tell you what if you would like to play with one I will order one, break it in properly and let you have it at dealer cost. I would give it to you but just can't afford to do that right now.

I appreciate the offer, but right not I have a lot of other projects and  I am not up to a new developmental testing for this type of motor. I did my bit back in the 90's - there are plenty of people who can contribute!  If someone else wants to undertake the same thing with existing motors, then I will happily advise, and encourage them to try.

Just an observation - I would guess 95% of the performance improvement of the 20FP over the Fox results from going from 6" of pitch to 4" of pitch, more that compensating for the reduction of diameter. This is *absolutely key* to what I was doing. Its the old "low pitch/high rev" approach that several people still claim won't work, despite the fact that virtually every contest in the country is dominated by that type of engine (must be cheating judges....).

All the engine does is  closely control the revs at the necessary in-flight RPM.  6" of pitch is not going to provide the same type of performance. It may be pretty good and it may be pretty consistent but you will have to count on a lot more engine power variation to get the same performance. That's a legitimate approach, but it's definitely a completely different approach from the one I was pursuing.

To do what I was trying to do, I suggest capping the pitch at about 4.5", and then run whatever diameter it takes to get the engine in a medium  2-stroke in level fight. and a decent lap time.  A lot of engines will get fast enough, but not many will hold it properly.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 06:37:17 AM »
Even if the iron piston version runs like the ABN version, it can't be run on the same fuel, since it will require more oil.  If run on the same fuel as the ABN version the piston/liner fit will evaporate.  The ABN is more desirable and will cost nearly the same as the iron version.  There really isn't much reason to settle for the older engine.

The FP 20 setup works, but you can change things in the article and have it still work correctly.  It's just not recommended and any change could cause it to not work properly.  If anything it works too well.  It's kind of boring... Fuel it, start in one flip, runs exactly the same till its out of fuel... over... and over... and over... and it never consumes a significant amount of fuel... Boring.

What you say about the fuel is important.  I run the Fp 20s on Sig 10% 1/2 an 1/2.  So far no problem with engine wear compared to the Foxes and McCoys.  But, I haven't put 100's of flights on them.  I do like the ABN a *little* better, but since I have drawers full of engines, I just took what guys had and mostly they are the old iron/steel ones.  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 09:18:55 AM »

All the engine does is  closely control the revs at the necessary in-flight RPM.  6" of pitch is not going to provide the same type of performance. It may be pretty good and it may be pretty consistent but you will have to count on a lot more engine power variation to get the same performance. That's a legitimate approach, but it's definitely a completely different approach from the one I was pursuing.

Brett

If I am not mistaken what we are after is constant speed, no slow down or speed up in maneuvers, no sagging over the top, easy starting and consistent performance. All I know is my Brodak 25 does all this with a 6 pitch (marked) prop. I do have an identical airplane with an FP-20 so it isn't like I am shooting from the hip. As far as I know I am the only one that has made a direct A-B compairson but would love to hear the findings and details from others.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 02:42:33 PM »
I bought a new OS 25FP-S back in about 92 or 93.  It was not an ABN engine.  It never had any fuel used in it other then Sig Champion 10%.  It's never been abused, and hasn't been run all that much.  When it's cold it starts fine, but if you fly, land, refuel, and try to start it again it takes some effort to get it running.  Comparitively the ABN version of the same engine (2-3 months newer) starts up right away run after run after run. 

I've got a non ABN 20fp and another non-ABN piston/liner set new in the package.  Honestly I haven't run them.  I've got several of the ABN engines that I know will work, no sense in wasting time with the iron version.

When I do get to fly I've got to fight with limited time to fly, the possibility of other people trying to use the same piece of ground, etc... To make the most of the time and the field I tend to stick with known quantities.

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 02:45:37 PM »
From what I've read the case design shouldn't matter.  However, the non-abn engines typically came with the 842 muffler instead of the 2030.  When you calculate the cost of acquiring the correct muffler, and the abn piston/cylinder assembly it makes far more sense to just hold out for an ABN engine to begin with.  They aren't that hard to find.  Expect to spend about $40 each for good used ones on Ebay. 

I just picked up two from EBay. One is the old style (I guess steel liner) with the pudgier case, the other is the newer style (I guess ABN) like the picture Tower Hobbies shows on their web site, both came with 842 mufflers.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 05:04:28 PM »
If I am not mistaken what we are after is constant speed, no slow down or speed up in maneuvers, no sagging over the top, easy starting and consistent performance

Well, not that those aren't good qualities, but, the entire going-in concept for my testing was to use the high rev/low pitch just like the serious stunt motors. No matter what, with 6" of pitch you aren't going to be running a lot of revs in flight, and you will be chugging around in 5th gear instead of whirring along in 1st gear.

The ability to run ~4" of pitch with sufficient control has completely revolutionized stunt, and what I was shooting for was to find a way to implement  the overwhelming advantages of that system that was also cheap, easily available, functional, run well on a profile, and "unscrewupable"

I'm not saying what you are suggesting won't work (since that's about all anyone ever did before about 1986, except for the WAM A Stunt experience), but it's very different from what I was suggesting, and not a logical extension.

Brett

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 08:17:32 PM »
More rambling on the 20FP, the engine which delivers enjoyment in so many ways. One of which is in actually flying the little sucker...

Beginning with Andrew, May 31st:

Yep, the cases from steelies and ABN engines are interchangeable; it's the internal parts which are of importance.

As to the cost of getting the proper assembly of parts, I must admit that was not a high-priority item when writing about the 20FP ABN with Brett Buck Tune-Up. At that time--and this is still the case--emphasis was placed on first putting together a piece known not only to haul the mail but to do so with amazing consistency.

Not to the total exclusion of dollars spent, but almost. Look at it this way: For approximately the cost of a new CF pipe, certainly less than a pipe and a CF prop, one can discover what approximately 50% of the Top 20 at the Nationals each year is talking about when going for the correct--and winning--style of run.

And, like Brett, I was interested in seeing those with no interest in engine work, presumably along with lack of interest not having the skills nor the tools to do the job.

Related, I have heard back from quite a number of guys who fly alone, have only limited opportunity to see proper engine runs. They need the Right Stuff and they need it the first time through.

So it is that with one's first 20FP w/BB T-U, it is real important to eliminate as many potential pitfalls as possible, as this single engine will be used to establish a baseline of performance.

In my view this eliminates used ABN engines, as without the history of use (abuse in some cases) one just never knows...

With a known quantity in hand, there are lots of options in coming up with more engines, some are less costly, even if we are not talking about saving a lot of money.

I do not know what to say about Bill Little's comment on the steelies and ABNs. The man clearly knows what he is talking about, note the very favorable comparison 20FP to 40VF. However, my back-to-back tests, while inadvertent and taking place early on in my testing of 20FPs (I had mistaken a steelie for an ABN), showed a definite preference for the ABN unit.

Were I to do these tests again, in a more controlled manner, I might even agree with Bill. But I strive to eliminate as many variables as possible and so all my motors have ABN parts, the only style currently available new.

Brett's comments, 31 May:

As with a lot of things from Brett, this deserves a second or third reading. And it needs to be noted that a few short years ago I am not so sure I would have agreed as enthusiastically as I do today.

This deal of "engine experts" selling to us whack-job conversions of various sorts is really quite annoying, and I say that as a flier who did indeed once buy a custom engine, a Fox 35, from Larry Foster. Look, it was a real good engine. Indeed, it was a better Fox 35 than I had been able to build and I have had some success in this area. So it's not as if all the tuners are frauds; it's just that the number of true experts is really quite small. And note that not only did Larry do his homework on the Fox 35, he specialized in this engine. Exclusively, I believe...

And sure enough, with the engine which begged for mods when forced to act like a larger Fox 35, the 40FP, now gone tuners are looking around for more fertile ground, this currently being the LA series of engines when from what I have seen Brett's approach to the 20FP is the only approach to the LAs which makes sense.

I'm pretty sure that I am familiar with the engine and the parties involved to which Brett alludes as to working on "improvements" to 40LAs and 46LAs. This is of a piece with a comment I made on SSW, that of being told a large-bore muffler-pressure fitting delivers "more pressure" to the fuel tank, in turn this being one of the keys to the puzzle of converting an LA series engine to CL Stunt.

This is a clue. This is nonsense. I don't mind overmuch if a customer swallows this line, even if he should know better. But when the seller--a self-declared expert, remember, one who expects some cash in exchange for his expertise--puts something like this forth as fact, you can pretty much cross that guy off your list.

But this is also an area where the 20FP w/BB T-U again demonstrates its worth, why a proper engine almost no matter what it cost to put together is a good investment: It gives one a real good benchmark to use in evaluating the custom engines which show up at the flying field from time to time. These sorts of comparisons can be quite enlightening...

Still with Brett's comments, it is true the 20FP has not been produced for years, although engines and parts are readily available. So as long as we have a repeatable base line of performance for small-bore engines, it does make sense to find a current engine to use in the stead of the 20FP.

Brett says he is not interested. I am not interested either, and not just because Len at SSW promptly established himself as a rather obstinate block to spreading around some real good ideas. Should I be bothered to retrieve a 20FP on loan to a friend and his son, I think I've got six of the things. All have fresh parts, with a single exception** all are interchangeable one with the other. I'm set.

What about the HB 20 Gold Cup, now made by or available from RJL? (Sorry, I don't know which it is, although Mr. Google pointed me in the right direction using search words "HB 20," "Gold Cup," and "RJL.") I recently got a note from Mikey (Mike Pratt) and not only has he settled in at a new job, he's back on board and designing a new model, the competitive fires having come back.

That in itself is Great News--details never--but Mikey says the HB 20 is a good 'un. It's a ball bearing engine, is still in production and can be had for a good price. He is using a tongue muffler on his, Bolly 9.5 - 3.4, revs set at 12K. "Big time power and punch," according to Mikey.

Reading between the lines of the note, it seems as if the HB 20 might not be ideal for things like Flite Streaks, but more suited to larger models, possibly something like the SIG Primary Force, in itself a Design by Mikey.

Or maybe his current design project, although you will not get any other hints from me! While I have not been sworn to secrecy, friends are friends, and if you have a friend like Mikey one treads real lightly without being asked...

Again with Andrew: Agreed, there are certain aspects to the tune-up which can be changed without changing the run. Plugs and fuels, for example. While I am sure you understand this, in the beginning it most important to first make every effort to experience the exact sort of run being described. I have no problem with those who set aside a proven tune-up, going off the res in trying to make a differing tune-up better.

Just as long as the known tune-up is used to evaluate further evolution, even though the 20FP can so easily be devolved...

Yes, the 20FP can indeed be boring! I was almost excited to see mufflers coming adrift. Aha! An item which needs to be dealt with in coming up with modifications. Even if it is only cap screws and a suitable hex key. Sigh...

As to more current tricks, I am really liking the Hayes 3-ounce tank mounted to the left side of the fuselage. While it might not be a common complaint, more often than not I found the needle to of a sudden go non-linear on me. And the motors would take too long to get up to temp, this being handy when getting a setting. Uh, we're talking about contest flying here.

It seems to me that with some models and engines, ground revs in the range of 11,200 to 11,400 see the setting go just a little bit too rich as the needle is wound open. One more click is all it seems to need, this is just a touch rich, back in one click. Again, this does not happen all the time, but with the inboard-mounted tank and revs in 12,200 to 12,300 range it never happens.

And at the higher revs/leaner setting the 20FP builds heat faster, this hurrying the process along, sometimes a factor in contest flying.

Still with tank issues, the Hayes tanks don't seem to be a full three ounces. I have not actually measured one, other than using one of those ubiquitous "ketchup pumps" as part of my fueling rig, but they pretty reliably deliver one ounce per stroke. It seems as if these tanks were rated as three ounces prior to stuffing the plumbing inside, leaving us with something like 2.75 ounces.

If you find yourself with range problems, the 4-ounce Hayes tanks are probably interchangeable as they are only .026 taller, less than 1/2" longer, just over 1/8" wider. The length is probably a deal-killer on a Flite Streak with outboard tank, but in most other cases should not be a problem.

However, before giving up on the three-ounce tanks, notice that during fueling there is an air pocket in the forward-protruding tongue. Tip the model on its nose to get rid of it. And if you are seeing foaming in the top of the tank during fueling, this merely slowing the process, two or three drops of Armor-All in your fuel will eliminate the foaming.

Said with a conspiratorial tone and behind the back of a hand: "Modifications to the 20FP."

As you might assume, head clearance is slightly variable on the 20FPs. Using the squished-solder technique of measuring head clearance on assembled engines, I got readings of .029, .029, .033, .031, .028, .030, a variance of .004.

Far, far from something to worry about in the beginning. All of these engines ran well, although my notes indicate some minor issues with the engine running at .033, mostly in the area of getting a good setting for the first flight of the day.

Still, some of us revel in excess and so...

**With one engine/model combination I have been fiddling as of late, contest flying being the ultimate goal. And I wanted more grunt when winging across the top of the circle.

The first "modification" was to switch from SIG 10% "Champion" fuel to 15% "Champion." Stealing a tip from the crowd (Brett and Crew) which flies on the left coast and at low altitude and then tromps off to Muncie once a year, that was the only change and ground settings of 12,300 with 10% are also used for the 15% fuel.

In my view, this is worthwhile as the model is a plans-built Flite Streak which, uh, came out a little heavy as I insisted upon 1/64" ply laminated to both sides of the fuselage, this leading to quite a slug of lead in the nose when going for the 1.625-inch balance point I like. My first whack at using LustreKote on the fuselage didn't help in any way I can see, although the finish looks good...

Wanting some more grunt and remembering the issue of getting heat in the motor while on the clock during official flights, I measured head clearance at .031 and reduced this to .025, using a stack of .001, .002 and .004 heads shims a friend cut for me.

This was a guess and nothing more. Well, I was interested in making a change in squeeze large enough to see any negative characteristics, fine-tuning to come later.

So far, I like this setup. The model goes across the top with more authority, the needle didn't go all wonky on me, the motor gets hotter faster, the runs are still superb. Whether or not I will lower the head further, probably not with the engine on this particular model.

It might be worth noting that I am taking a cautious approach here. On hand is a proven model/engine combination, The World's Most Labor Intensive ARF Flite Streak (TWMLIARFFS) and I will sometimes fly the two models back-to-back in order to avoid any wild claims as to improved performance...or to simply demonstrate that I have screwed up a good thing.

Lines: I have been going back and forth between .012s and .015s, suggest you do the same. In general I prefer the lighter .012s, but one does not really know until testing both sizes with the attendant changes in trim to the model.

The only thing I am comfortable in stating is that on an ARF Flite Streak without adjustable leadouts you are probably stuck with .015s. The leadouts are too far to the rear, but they are even further off when flying with .012s.

Brett has suggested the .012s stretch too much in flight, but I am hard pressed to see this as a negative, at least when used in conjunction with a hard-point handle, Ted's design and from Carl Shoup. More often than not the .015s with their increased drag show me an annoying "belly" to the lines while flying and with some models I get mild to "What was that?" hints of line whip in the maneuvers.

If you don't understand what is meant by "line whip," (cautiously) try a set of .018s. Back when I was flying Combat and we were still using .015 lines Show Biz square eights were pretty easy. When we went to .018s line whip meant this maneuver was real sloppy, which was why some of us at all times had on hand cheater lines for sport flying and general showing off.

Again, try both .012 and .015 lines, although I have had less than stellar results when going much beyond 60-foot line sets, measured centerline to centerline.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 12:32:34 AM »

As with a lot of things from Brett, this deserves a second or third reading. And it needs to be noted that a few short years ago I am not so sure I would have agreed as enthusiastically as I do today.

This deal of "engine experts" selling to us whack-job conversions of various sorts is really quite annoying, and I say that as a flier who did indeed once buy a custom engine, a Fox 35, from Larry Foster. Look, it was a real good engine. Indeed, it was a better Fox 35 than I had been able to build and I have had some success in this area. So it's not as if all the tuners are frauds; it's just that the number of true experts is really quite small. And note that not only did Larry do his homework on the Fox 35, he specialized in this engine. Exclusively, I believe...

And sure enough, with the engine which begged for mods when forced to act like a larger Fox 35, the 40FP, now gone tuners are looking around for more fertile ground, this currently being the LA series of engines when from what I have seen Brett's approach to the 20FP is the only approach to the LAs which makes sense.

Very flattering.

I want to make it *perfectly clear* that my concerns/frustrations on the matter of "engine experts" refers to the guys who really aren't experts. I own several mildly modified motors, including a L&J Fox, and they work quite well. However, for every true, competent engine expert, there are 20 self-styled "engine experts" who aren't qualified to change the spark plug in a lawn mower.

With only a few exceptions, I doubt that most of these guys are in any way malicious or scam artists. I think that they genuinely believe they are helping people and passing on their "discovery" of what ever "trick" they have found. But, paraphrasing the great Richard Feynman, *the universe doesn't care how nice a guy you are, you can still be wrong*.

By way of example, things I have seen over the years:

Plain-bearing motor retrofitted with ball bearings. The guy hands it to me, proudly, and I can't turn it over with my hand, and it's obviously bound up between the crank and the case because the ball bearings are eccentric to the plain-bearing section. He tells me "oh, that's OK, I just have to break it in, and it will loosen up"

Problems with a Fox 40 Compact. Another magic fix job. I watched them try to get a decent run for the better part of 8 hours. It ran, but went lean, went rich, all over the place, and never gave a hint of actually working. I eventually decided to look it over, and one flip, I hear a hissing sound as it comes up on compression. Pour fuel on the head/liner joint and turn over, looks like a fish tank aereator there are so many leaks. I take the head off, and find probably 20-30 head gaskets made from pop can aluminum. That's not that bad in and of itself, but on closer examination I see they were cut with something like a hand-held compass. Still not that bad, until I flip one of them over, and find that they started trying to cut through on one side, gave up, then started a completely new cut with a different center. The half-through scratches from the first cut cut across the mating surface of the finished gasket, and of course every one of them leaked. I take them *all* out, cutting the head clearance by something like 1/16", back to stock. No leaks, runs pretty good, a little hard with a 11-6 but nothing that you couldn't more-or-less cure with an APC 11.5-4. I mention this, but no, they want a "stunt run" so the solution is to go cut 30 more head gaskets out without the scratches. A week or so later, there they are again, mostly the same problems, no power, incredible inconsistency. Then I find out this is a "customer motor" that they sell at the end of the day as a "trick stunt motor"

Hand drill spraybar holes: Engine modified (unnecessarily) for a "through the center" spraybar. Hole drilled through case and venturi in one shot with a hand drill, *way* off center to the point that there is virtually no clearance on one side of the spraybar and a gaping gap on the other side. All sealed up with 5-minute epoxy. Good luck ever getting a different venturi to fit in that baby. Oh, and it ran like poop, too, naturally.

Engine "retimed", (subtitled, "retarded apes need jobs too"):  40FP, "retimed" by expert for "stunt run". Kind of works on the first run, definitely goes over the hill on the second, lots of gray oil coming out. Engine was disassembled, and there were huge scratches in the case where the liner goes. Engine was obviously retimed with Dremel tool, and not deburred. When the liner wouldn't go back in the case with the burrs, large hammer employed to force the liner in. Of course, motor wasn't cleaned out, and had eaten itself up in 2-3 runs.

ST51 blowdown breakthrough: This one made SSW - ST51 "retimed for stunt run" by introducing the miracle of "negative blowdown"

And then most recently:

I'm pretty sure that I am familiar with the engine and the parties involved to which Brett alludes as to working on "improvements" to 40LAs and 46LAs. This is of a piece with a comment I made on SSW, that of being told a large-bore muffler-pressure fitting delivers "more pressure" to the fuel tank, in turn this being one of the keys to the puzzle of converting an LA series engine to CL Stunt.

This is a clue. This is nonsense. I don't mind overmuch if a customer swallows this line, even if he should know better. But when the seller--a self-declared expert, remember, one who expects some cash in exchange for his expertise--puts something like this forth as fact, you can pretty much cross that guy off your list.

Brand new LA 46 "retimed for stunt run". Workmanship looked fine, unfortunately, power was anemic. Pathfinder ARF, should go pretty good with an LA46. Well, dead 2-stroke and 5.9 second laps are not what you want. Obviously, need a lot more pitch, right? Oops, too bad, prop is already a 10-7!! This time, I was trying to find someone with a stock Fox *so the airplane has more power*. You have a 40LA new in box? Great, let's throw that in there. Unfortunately, this one had *also* been "retimed for stunt run" and therefore is even worse (by virtue of 13 percent less displacement). Two brand new "expertly reworked" "stunt motors", total price 3x a stocker, at a contest, no way to fix it, sorry, I can't help you. It did get great fuel mileage, only about 3 oz for a 9 minute flight. Too bad it was a *wasted* 9 minutes. I was EXTREMELY frustrated by the end of the session, I hated telling the poor guy there was no way this new"trick" system was *ever* going to work, and to go find a $70 stock motor so he could get much better performance.

What is so bad about this sort of thing is, once again, one of those deals were someone thinks they are doing the world a favor by "fixing" the motor for their buddies. I know not many people are making fortunes at it, I think people do it for their love of the event.  Bu there seems to be a bizarre school of thought where a "stunt run" means taking a pretty nice motor and making it run as gutless as technology will allow.

I don't know anything about the "large diameter pressure fitting" for "more pressure" aside from the numerous fundamental physical laws that are violated by that statement. I am unaware of that having anything to do with the situation above, maybe its the same engine, maybe not.

The pressure drop through an orfice is roughly proportional to the square of the flow rate. The flow rate, since it's hooked up to an otherwise closed tank, is about 3 oz jn 9 minutes. Even a conventional fuel pressure fitting is a completely negligible restriction at those flow rates.

Of course, the pressure pulses at pretty high frequencies. Maybe the pressure pulses *are* restricted by the fitting. Of course the muffler/tank system acts like an accumulator and filters out the pulses and the engine doesn't react to them at all in a mixture sense. Maybe, just maybe, it will make the tank more likely to fatigue and leak, but I don't think that's a good reason to make the pressure fitting larger. You can get plenty of nice thick fuel to run a thirsty 75 through a .020 restrictor, so I am exceedingly skeptical that you can't get the exact same volumetric flow with thin hot gas through a 3/32 pressure fitting.

Brett

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 12:10:02 PM »
I tend to leave this stuff to the experts. I'll try some stuff that doesn't include cracking the engine open (unless directed to do so by the engine builder) and I've certainly taken off back plates and heads of mass market engines to insure no "junk" is in the prior to firing it up, but I generally leave the things alone if they work well and dump them if they don't or can't be make to. Amazing what some guys think will work.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here