News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:53:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 35 bolt pattern  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fox 35 bolt pattern
« on: September 26, 2016, 03:06:39 PM »
Hi guys,
I am a novice and have a Top Flite Nobler ARF.
I have read with interest the discussions about the ability of a Fox 35 to put the aircraft through the pattern.
I am a little nostalgic and the thought of the Fox with the Nobler appeals to me. I am also a realist and hopefully,  one day, I will be able to fly the pattern.
So, my question is this. Is there an engine, that will have enough power, that has the same bolt pattern as the Fox 35? Allowing me to change out the engine without having to modify the engine mounts.
Thank you in advance
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fox 35 bolt pattern
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
Craig, with all due respect for your optimism, if you're seriously interested in learning the pattern then budget time and money for crashing some planes.  Put the Fox in this plane, secure in the knowledge that by the time you know the pattern it'll be dust, and you'll have virgin mounts in the new one to mount a motor.

The motor mounts in the Noblarf aren't terribly good, so you might want to think in terms of just whacking them off flush with the firewall, maybe backing up the firewall with a layer of ply if indicated (I've never flown anything but hand-me-down Noblarfs  the only Noblarfs I've flown have been hand-me-downs), and using an RC mount.  This'll give you more flexibility for changing motors.  This is also a pretty good repair option after the first time you crash the thing, because the motor mounts seem to be the first thing that comes off.

At worst (assuming the plane survives that long) you can always fill in the Fox-ish mounting holes and drill new ones whereever needed.  Just glue dowels in the existing holes and drill new ones, respecting the fact that if you're trying to drill halfway over then the drill is going to want to wander.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:36:51 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »
Might I also suggest that you perhaps look at something else to begin your learning curve on, something simpler to repair? and save the Nobler perhaps?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 06:25:55 PM »
Thanks guys for the input. All good stuff.
I haven't explained myself properly. You are quite right about training aircraft. I have a number of profiles just about ready to go to learn with and learn how to repair no doubt. The Nobler arrives today and I probably won't get to it until Christmas.
Excellent tip about the engine mounts. I have read how the control linkages can be an issue and I am in the process of ordering an upgrade from Tom Morris.
Thank you for the advice.
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Dave Royer

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 07:53:44 PM »
To answer your original question, the Double Star .40 has the same bolt pattern as the Fox .35.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 08:23:05 PM »
To answer your original question, the Double Star .40 has the same bolt pattern as the Fox .35.

Yes, the Double Star 40 has the same mounting bolt pattern.  But, be aware that the front face of the thrust (drive) washer will not be in the same location as the one on the Fox.  The Double Star is a bit longer in this regard.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here