News:

• May 04, 2024, 05:41:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First Run Of Enya .09 MK III  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
First Run Of Enya .09 MK III
« on: April 12, 2017, 03:07:25 PM »
Hi all. It is not a huge deal to most I'm sure, but I just wanted to say that I just got in from running my Enya .09 MK III. I had honestly never run a 'real' control line engine, except for Cox. I had received it early December 2016 and promptly built a 'Platter' for it. The spraybar was loose when I got it as well, so I did honestly guess as to where to locate it. Anyways, today I had screwed the plane to my bench, filled it up, adjusted the needle to what looked good, primed, and then hit it with the starter. Took about 10 seconds max then it fired right up. Died a few seconds later. Re-adjusted the needle and had at it again. Ran about 2 minutes on the tank I have installed. Runs strong sounding too. Now here is where it got interesting. As I walked by the plane in the rear, I felt a lot of moisture. Again, this too, besides a Cox engine, is the first time running an engine without a muffler. So I thought that was all it is, then I noticed something. The fuel was being 'sucked' out of the top fill pipe on the wedge tank. It was rather funny to see the fuel coming up the pipe then getting blown backwards. On the next couple of runs, I had placed a piece of extra fuel line on top of the filler tube and it had immensely cut down the fuel coming out. So, I will leave it as is for now, but may put a clunk tank on it yet. We'll see.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: First Run Of Enya .09 MK III
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 07:00:19 PM »
   When you run the engine or fly the airplane, plug the over flow tube, and then put a short piece of fuel line with a 45 degree cut in one end on the fill tube. Make sure the cut angle faces the prop wash. That will cut your siphoning problems and actually pressurize your tank just a bit. Have fun with the "big" engine!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »
Ok. I was worried about the overflow tube, making sure it stayed free and open. This too is my first time ever using a wedge tank as well. Looks like I have a bit more learning to do yet! I may just omit the clunk idea yet. Hopefully tomorrow I will have some time to run it. Thank you for the help.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 08:34:35 PM »
   A couple more things I thought of after my last post. Since you had to tinker with the spray bar assembly already and have an idea of what is going on there, you may want to take it out and put the needle valve on the other (inboard) side. This will let the fuel line make a nice straight run from the tank to the spray bar fitting. When you put the spray bar in, try to have the hole at a slight angle towards the back of the venturi. Kind of where it is just out of site if you were looking down the venturi. This is the area where it will get the best fuel draw. Make sure that you get the nut secure. I find that a couple of nut drivers, one for each side, makes this easier. Jim Lee makes some neat little socket wrenches for this chore also.
  With the tank that you have, you will notice that the engine will pick up speed as the tank runs down,more noticeably at the last 1/4 tank probably. This is because it is a normally vented tank, and as the tank level goes down, there will be a bit of a vacuum left behind in the tank that will decrease fuel flow, thus leaning out the engine. If you had a muffler, that would minimize the affect some what. The cure for that is a uniflow tank, which can be made from a plastic tank, or made from tin stock, and it doesn't have be a clunk style tank. Search uniflow tank here on the list and you will find volumes on the subject.
   Again, have fun with the "big" engine. You will find that they act a lot like the Cox, and can be easier to get good steady runs from them. I imagine a 7-4 to 8-4 prop will be what you want for the engine, and given that Enyas can take a while to break in, I would run at least a quart of fuel through on the bench with the 7-4 prop.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 09:36:34 PM »
Thank you again for your help and suggestions. The propeller that is installed and was supplied with the engine is an APC 7x4. So I got that part going good. As for the needle. I just may try reversing it as per your comment. I did not think of that at the time I received the engine. I just noticed it was loose so I tightened it. Heck, if I got it running once, I am sure I can do it again. The only thing that would suck though is the exhaust is on the wrong side....And as for muffler, it did not have nor did it come with one. I had planned on making a tongue muffler out of some tin after making sure that I can get the engine running, which has now been done. Or were you referring to an actual muffler? Fuel tank research will now be looked into. I like to build them little tanks. Thanks again.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 02:30:18 PM »
Ok. So just a little update. I did look at switching the needle to the other side, but, I would then have my hand in the exhaust, so I did abandon that idea till I can make a tongue muffler for it. Number two. I did fill the tank, immediately plug the overflow line. I then made a 45 degree cut on a couple of pieces to put on top of the fill tube. It fired right up with no problems and ran just fine. Just that it still had the tendency to pull fuel out of the tank and spray it back all over my floor. I will either look into uniflow and or clunk tank now. For some crazy reason too, it would now only run for about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes with the mods and befor it was closer to 2 1/2 - 3 minutes. I wanted to run it again today, BUT, we woke up here to white stuff falling from the sky and 2+ inches all on the ground. I did cut my grass twice already in the past couple weeks....

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 07:30:41 PM »
Do a search on balloon tanks. End of siphoning problems!   H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 08:50:27 PM »
Do a search on balloon tanks. End of siphoning problems!   H^^

Really. I do not need to search for them, as I use them on a couple of my Cox engines. I had just never thought of using one on anything bigger. Well, it now looks like my problem may be solved. Testing to come later this week! Thank you Larry.

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »
Ok. So just a little update. I did look at switching the needle to the other side, but, I would then have my hand in the exhaust, so I did abandon that idea till I can make a tongue muffler for it. Number two. I did fill the tank, immediately plug the overflow line. I then made a 45 degree cut on a couple of pieces to put on top of the fill tube. It fired right up with no problems and ran just fine. Just that it still had the tendency to pull fuel out of the tank and spray it back all over my floor.

Why don't you plug the fill line and put a 45deg cut tube on overflow line?

And, another solution is puttin a short piece of 90deg bent metal tube (facing fwd) on overflow line using silicone tube.

Aki
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:14:38 PM by Akihiro Danjo »

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »
Why don't you plug the fill line and put a 45deg cut tube on overflow line?

Aki

Because I did not think of that. I had plugged the overflow and put a 45 degree cut tube on the fill line. Well, if the weather gets nicer here soon, I will try that method too before I unmount it in favor of a balloon tank. I got nothing to lose. Thanks.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here