News:

• April 25, 2024, 06:29:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Evolution gasoline engines  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Jim Svitko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Evolution gasoline engines
« on: April 02, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »
I have heard bits and pieces about these engines.  There is an ad for them on page 30 of the April 2017 Model Aviation.

I looked at the website to check out the specs.  It looks like the 60 is the smallest at this time.  It is also rather heavy at just over 15 ounces, not counting the muffler.

It would be nice to reduce fuel costs and have a cleaner plane by running gasoline instead of glow fuel.

Anyone with more experience/knowledge of these engines?  Can they be made suitable for CL use without much hassle?  What is this "pumped carburetor"?  How does that work?  What has been done to these engines to enable them to run with so little oil compared to glow engines?

I am in no hurry to convert but maybe these could eventually be an alternative to glow engines.  But, if too much hassle, too heavy, etc., then it looks like I stay with glow or go electric.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Evolution gasoline engines
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:55:28 PM »
What has been done to these engines to enable them to run with so little oil compared to glow engines?

Gasoline has very good lubricating properties, unlike methanol (which is a negative in terms of lubrication).

Brett

Offline Mike Bufkin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 04:13:36 AM »
Is that weight just the engine ?

It would also require an ignition module,and battery pack.

Mike

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:54:55 AM »
I understood when all my RC friends moved to Gasoline in the bigger models as the fuel cost savings are significant

But very soon, most of those guys just bit the bullet and went electric---mainly because the Gas engines came with a steep re-learning curve and just about as many variables as good Alcohol engines.

More than one did a spread sheet cost benefit comparison, and decided the total cost per flight-- over time --made electric a better option

At the time I was paying attention, there were more than one engine MFG looking to get gasoline in a smaller and smaller package... That they never came to market, seems to me relative to the competition of electric options

For me, the pretty good fuel efficiency of .20 to .46 glow and owning many engines that are real consistent for fun or competition does NOT have me yearning for Gasoline OR electric

But-- I am not typical-- and find blending my own Alcohol fuel a side part of the hobby that I enjoy

Dumping in a pre measured plastic container of Stihl chain saw oil into a gallon of Gasoline to get a 40:1 or 50:1 mix still seems to me to be relative to my Weed eater, Chain saw, Blower.... WORK related tools...

When I mix up a batch of 15%N go juice...at the field I can smell my effort and enjoy the exhaust slime

BTW wiping off the exhaust residue at the end of a flying session, is just part of the experience since 1959

jest sayin

Fred the Ludite

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 11:54:28 AM »
Is that weight just the engine ?

It would also require an ignition module,and battery pack.

Mike

Yes, engine weight only.  The muffler would add about another 3 ounces.  From the pics on the website it looks like an ignition module is included but no battery.

After more consideration, I suppose electric is the better option if someone decided to give up on glow engines.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here