News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:44:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya .61 prop sizes for stunt run??  (Read 6354 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Enya .61 prop sizes for stunt run??
« on: May 31, 2016, 01:46:17 PM »
I am breaking in my Enya .61 CXRS PRO with an 11x5.5 and a 12x4.
Is a 13x5 or 13x4 too much for this engine for a good stunt run. It is going on my ARF Strega.
Thankee in advance for any intel.
Shug

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 02:33:29 PM by Shug Emery »
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Enya .61 prop sizes for stunt run??
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 02:23:39 PM »
I don't know the answer.  But someone is going to ask you what flavor of Enya 61 it is -- there are at least two modern ones that I know of, and probably a bazzilion older ones.  I still won't know the answer after you answer my question -- but someone else will.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »
I am breaking in my Enya .61 CXRS PRO with an 11x5.5 and a 12x4.
Is a 13x5 or 13x4 too much for this engine for a good stunt run. It is going on my ARF Strega.
Thankee in advance for any intel.
Shug

Shug,
I am not an Enya guy, so cant help there, but, on the Strega ARF, please do yourself a favor and do some searching on here about that model, there are some changes you need to0 make to be happy with it. I believe there is an issue with the leading edge radius which is important for performance
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 03:43:20 PM »
Shug, I've got both the ABC and ringed 61CXL, with rear exhaust, and will be using the header muffler rather than a pipe. I'm intending to use a 13x5 as a starting point, once I get around to building something suitable. I've also got an Eather 3B 12x6 that I could try, just to see what happens (too much pitch?). Like you, though, I'd be keen to hear from someone with practical experience of what works well.

Also, can anyone give me an idea of roughly how much fuel these things use for a pattern?

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 05:41:43 PM »
Shug, I've got both the ABC and ringed 61CXL, with rear exhaust, and will be using the header muffler rather than a pipe. I'm intending to use a 13x5 as a starting point, once I get around to building something suitable. I've also got an Eather 3B 12x6 that I could try, just to see what happens (too much pitch?). Like you, though, I'd be keen to hear from someone with practical experience of what works well.

Also, can anyone give me an idea of roughly how much fuel these things use for a pattern?
Well I appreciate that. Got a 6 ounce tank for mine so we shall see.

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »
Shug,
I am not an Enya guy, so cant help there, but, on the Strega ARF, please do yourself a favor and do some searching on here about that model, there are some changes you need to0 make to be happy with it. I believe there is an issue with the leading edge radius which is important for performance
Got that done thankee...

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 11:56:14 PM »
The APC 13x4 is not too much prop for the Enya. I have used this prop with my Strega/Enya 61CX, then later I changed to a 13x4.5 3B Bolly to get the performance I needed to compete with the other guys using PAs and Rojetts.

This engine has some serious metallurgy and even after you break in on the bench, it will still be tight. It will run stronger and stronger as you use it. I assure you it has the muscle to carry the big and heavy Strega.

The engine will work with 13x6, 13x5, 13x4 props. However, the best performance you will get with a low pitch prop launching at 10500rpms and with lines as long as possible so it is legal. My Strega ARC was heavy and I used long lines to allow the plane to fly fast so I could manage a descent corner.

Martin

p.s. a lot of info here :
http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/strega-arf-overview-video)))))

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:59:18 PM »

I use 6.5Oz Tank

edit:  and with 8.5mm venturi
Martin

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 06:39:41 AM »
The APC 13x4 is not too much prop for the Enya. I have used this prop with my Strega/Enya 61CX, then later I changed to a 13x4.5 3B Bolly to get the performance I needed to compete with the other guys using PAs and Rojetts.

This engine has some serious metallurgy and even after you break in on the bench, it will still be tight. It will run stronger and stronger as you use it. I assure you it has the muscle to carry the big and heavy Strega.

The engine will work with 13x6, 13x5, 13x4 props. However, the best performance you will get with a low pitch prop launching at 10500rpms and with lines as long as possible so it is legal. My Strega ARC was heavy and I used long lines to allow the plane to fly fast so I could manage a descent corner.

Martin

p.s. a lot of info here :
http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/strega-arf-overview-video)))))

Gracias Martin. Good info. Now one day may have to check out the Bolly props. Where did you purchase yours if I may ask.
Thankee.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 12:14:57 AM »

This was 6 years ago and I got them from Randy Smith.

With many going to electric you may find someone selling some of these props. I believe there is some people making 3B C.F. Props in the US, ask around. Osni here in Brazil made some good props, not sure if he still making them, but I can ask if you need some.

Be aware when flying in still air. The Strega has a big wing, is heavy and with the Enya 61 spinning a 13" 3B Prop at 10500rpms it will make a lot of wake turbulence, so make sure to walk back a lot more then normal to avoid passing through this wake turbulence.

Back then I was a Hookie and when I show up at the circle with a low pitch 3B C.F prop for a muffled 61 engine the experts said I should not even try that because there is no way a prop for a tune pipe 65/75 would work in a sport muffled 61 engine, even worst, with a .45 size conrod! In the first try it really did not work and they made jokes cause I did not listen VD~. These "experts" told me I HAD to use 12x5.5 3b. Well I don't give up on the first try. The  Bolly had 4.5 pitch and I knew the Engine would develop more Torque in higher rpm. So I replaced the stock 7.5mm venturi with a 8.5mm one and re-pitch the prop to 4"  and the "magic" happened! It ran very strong and power the Strega with tremendous authority. The not famous and sport engine turn out to be a little Monster and it help me advance in the game.

I got that engine used, actually I was the 3rd owner, so the engine was fully broken in. The previous owners followed the advice of the so called "experts" and they never got good results with it trying to make it run like an ST60, so they pass on the engine. Later I tried a new 61CX engine that I broke in with 6 full tanks and by far it did not run as strong. I started to believe one of the previous owner had modified that 61CX, so I took the engines a part to check, did not find any differences. The reason the old one ran stronger was because it had lots of used time and was totally loose. Perhaps if I had started with a new engine I would also give up on the Strega.

The point is, this engine will get stronger and stronger as you use it. Don't give up if it does not run very strong in the beginning.

If you stick a big prop and the engine still tight you may force the conrod and create an undesirable gap in the conrod. So my advice is to do a good break in with the 11" prop and then use the APC 13x4 2B for flying, then later try the 13x3.75 3B prop, just to make sure.

The APC 13x4 works well but in windy conditions it will wind up. When you get a 3B C.F prop, please let me know and I will tell you how to set up the pitch on the blades so you can fly in strong winds at the contests. I used 2 props, one for normal day and one for windy days. Yes! there is a lot of details to take care of to be competitive and get good results with the Strega/Enya 61CX.

If it was a smaller and lighter model it would be less complicated,  but to fly a big plane like this you need to get all the performance the Engine can produce, and these tips I am giving you makes all the difference.

Martin

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 04:29:12 PM »
This was 6 years ago and I got them from Randy Smith.

With many going to electric you may find someone selling some of these props. I believe there is some people making 3B C.F. Props in the US, ask around. Osni here in Brazil made some good props, not sure if he still making them, but I can ask if you need some.

Be aware when flying in still air. The Strega has a big wing, is heavy and with the Enya 61 spinning a 13" 3B Prop at 10500rpms it will make a lot of wake turbulence, so make sure to walk back a lot more then normal to avoid passing through this wake turbulence.

Back then I was a Hookie and when I show up at the circle with a low pitch 3B C.F prop for a muffled 61 engine the experts said I should not even try that because there is no way a prop for a tune pipe 65/75 would work in a sport muffled 61 engine, even worst, with a .45 size conrod! In the first try it really did not work and they made jokes cause I did not listen VD~. These "experts" told me I HAD to use 12x5.5 3b. Well I don't give up on the first try. The  Bolly had 4.5 pitch and I knew the Engine would develop more Torque in higher rpm. So I replaced the stock 7.5mm venturi with a 8.5mm one and re-pitch the prop to 4"  and the "magic" happened! It ran very strong and power the Strega with tremendous authority. The not famous and sport engine turn out to be a little Monster and it help me advance in the game.

I got that engine used, actually I was the 3rd owner, so the engine was fully broken in. The previous owners followed the advice of the so called "experts" and they never got good results with it trying to make it run like an ST60, so they pass on the engine. Later I tried a new 61CX engine that I broke in with 6 full tanks and by far it did not run as strong. I started to believe one of the previous owner had modified that 61CX, so I took the engines a part to check, did not find any differences. The reason the old one ran stronger was because it had lots of used time and was totally loose. Perhaps if I had started with a new engine I would also give up on the Strega.

The point is, this engine will get stronger and stronger as you use it. Don't give up if it does not run very strong in the beginning.

If you stick a big prop and the engine still tight you may force the conrod and create an undesirable gap in the conrod. So my advice is to do a good break in with the 11" prop and then use the APC 13x4 2B for flying, then later try the 13x3.75 3B prop, just to make sure.

The APC 13x4 works well but in windy conditions it will wind up. When you get a 3B C.F prop, please let me know and I will tell you how to set up the pitch on the blades so you can fly in strong winds at the contests. I used 2 props, one for normal day and one for windy days. Yes! there is a lot of details to take care of to be competitive and get good results with the Strega/Enya 61CX.

If it was a smaller and lighter model it would be less complicated,  but to fly a big plane like this you need to get all the performance the Engine can produce, and these tips I am giving you makes all the difference.

Martin
This is wonderful intel Martin. Thank you for all the detail.
I will take heed for sure.
Can't wait to get it up and fiished.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 08:40:59 PM »
...can anyone give me an idea of roughly how much fuel these things use for a pattern?
Steve, I've been using a Bolly 13.5x5 2 blade with my ringed and muffled RE. With zero nitro fuel it uses 120cc for a 6 minute run with mixture set for the barest hint of 2 stroke before release.

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 01:47:21 AM »
Thanks Brian  H^^

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 12:00:11 AM »
Billy W. has my 61, just sent it to him. Should not be to long and I should know the set up. the oven is working good and he designing new pipes and props for a lot of engines. I think the pa's are done, and one rojett, and the Enya  is next. Chris and Billy are working on props. It looks like it maybe after the Nats till it all comes to gather. The oven I setup was the problem, could not get it to hold temp close enough. the third time was the charm. the new controls are working great.

Steve 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here