News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:11:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya 45CX Set Up  (Read 11768 times)

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Enya 45CX Set Up
« on: October 16, 2015, 11:19:42 PM »
Here's a strong '80's Al Chrome .45 Size Engine readily available 2nd hand in RC configuration at low cost.
The example being used was only $25 on Ebay complete with baked on Castor & they regularly sell for around $40.
The Bearings were fine so the RC Carb was just changed out for stock CL parts. No other changes were made & factory muffler used with a short deflector.
Factory Venturi's and Needle Valves are readily available direct from Enya, Ebay or your preferred seller. New P&L's are still available.

An APC 12x4 Prop provided a strong Engine run with a soft break from 4 cycle when level to 2 cycle during manoeuvres. All the below runs were stable with no issues with line tension.
Being that these were also the initial flights on a Legacy ARF, it only included up to & including Horizontal Square Eights of the F2B Pattern.

I hope this info helps some other flyers. Mileage will vary based on model, fuel, line length, venturi, etc. but this may aid finding a suitable Set-Up starting point.

Run #1:
Brodak Legacy ARF on  63'3" x 0.018" Lines
5% Nitro & 24% Oil (5% Castor).  Enya #3 Plug.
Enya 8mm Venturi & Pro Needle Valve.
Zinger Narrow 12x6 Wood Prop.
Launch approx 8,000RPM ==> steady but slow 2-2-2 with 5.7s laps.
6m30s Flight Time with 5.5Oz Uniflow Tank

Run #2:
Enya 8mm Venturi & Pro Needle Valve (same setting as #1)
APC 12 x 4 Glass Filled Prop.
Launch approx 10,750RPM ==> fast 2-2-2 with 5.18s laps.
6m32s Flight Time with 5.5Oz Uniflow Tank

Run #3: ** Preferred set-up so far **
Enya 8mm Venturi & Pro Needle Valve
APC 12 x 4 Glass Filled Prop.
Launch approx 10,450RPM ==> soft breaking 4-2-4 with 5.4s laps.
6m09s Flight Time with 5.5Oz Uniflow Tank

Next flights will use Run #3's basic set-up with the full F2B Pattern. Will try to take some video.

The 45CX shares the same Crankcase dimensions as the Enya 45CXL, 50CX and 61CX/L Engines, so for a mid size Stunter set-up to suit this same case there are plenty of options.
The Enya SS40/45/50 mount dimensions are also close enough to allow swapping, but the SS Engines are a little shorter from Mount holes to Prop. I'll progressively list set-ups for each using the Legacy.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:58:34 AM by Richard Field »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Enya 45CX Set Up
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »
I've been watching this thread and hoping that you'd post some further reports. Unfortunately, there seems to be little interest in Enya engines here in the USA. Due mostly to Importer/Distributor lack of concern for CL, but also due to Enya's small batch production runs failing to keep the delivery schedules up. If we want one, it seems we have to buy on eBay or direct from Enya. With few users, it makes getting setup help difficult, so it's good to see posts like yours and those from Brazil, for example. Soldier onward, please!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:10:31 AM »
Steve,

Dealing direct with Enya is not a chore.

The service is always quick, and accurate. If any of your order is not available they'll email you with the details.

Postage rates are also good.

Last time I checked their website, they still offered a good range of engines in many classes.

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 01:29:58 AM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. It's been a bit wet & windy here recently - this coupled with work & family commitments has meant I've only made 1 more trip to the field. That time using a 50CX Engine with a SS50 factory (heavy) muffler:

The 50CX ran the same basic set-ups & props as the 45CX but did not give 4-2-4 runs. I got the impression it was not loaded enough, or still needs more break-in….not unusual for Ebay Enya's!!
I also tried an APC 12.25x3.75 Prop at 10,000RPM launch. This gave strong ~4.5s laps on the 63'3" lines.
Trying a BY&O 12x6 wide blade Prop at 8,400 RPM launch resulted in a rich 2-2-2 that actually worked….a 12x5 may be better. This was before leaving & I missed out on timing it.

Since the Legacy was also set-up for the RE versions of the CX Series a 61CXLS is now installed as pictured & I am waiting for the weather to improve to give this a try.

Just to add to Greg's comments on availability: Of late I've been dealing direct with Ken Enya & can also recommend his prompt responses & good service. Most parts are still stocked including those for older Engines. Setting up a Customer Account on the Enya Website also results in email notices ahead of the production releases. If in the US it would also be easy buying Engines & parts from Shtterman on Ebay.

Cheers, Richard

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 03:03:02 AM »

Dealing direct with Enya is not a chore.

The service is always quick, and accurate. If any of your order is not available they'll email you with the details.

Postage rates are also good.

Last time I checked their website, they still offered a good range of engines in many classes.

Greg, you're probably looking at the "Catalog" section, which shows lots of great stuff, almost none of which is currently available. Check out "Shopping" instead, for what you can actually buy - slim pickings, sadly.   :(
I agree that they're a pleasure to do business with, though.

Do let us know how you get on with that 61, Richard. I'm finally thinking about doing something with mine, and very interested in setups, fuel requirements, etc.

Steve

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
Hi All,

Managed a few flights today between rain storms with the Enya 61CXLS using same basic set-up as above. The Engine is in factory configuration with 7.5mm Venturi.

Launching at 10,000RPM with an APC 12x4 Prop gave a 4-2-4 run with 5.25s laps and 6m45s flight. The 4-2 switching was soft & late but stayed in 2 for manageable squares etc.
Launching at 10,200RPM gave the same style run but in quicker 4.9s laps. The Legacy seemed more stable (robust?) in manoeuvres at this faster flight speed.

The RE setup also seems to be a good match for balancing the Legacy ARF - stretching out the lap after engine cut-out was easy & perfect landings were a breeze!

At this stage I'll be looking at tweaking the set-up to bring the 4-2 switch on earlier & operating at a higher RPM. Time to make up some longer lines.
The Engine also may not be fully broken in as it wasn't at all happy with trying 20% Synthetic / 10% Nitro Fuel. Changing to the 24% Oil (5% Castor) and only 5% Nitro as used on the bench gave the runs above.
On this basis I'm expecting the Engine will only get stronger.

Hope this helps Steve - what are you considering building for the Enya 61?

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 09:44:36 PM »
"Hope this helps Steve - what are you considering building for the Enya 61?"

Probably no Enya .61RE in my future. Got .46VF, PA .51 and a couple RO-Jett .76. I'm flying the VF, have flown the PA for a couple seasons, but could use some RO-Jett .76 setup info! I was really more into the .45CX, thinking it might be a real good donk for Profile or a large Classic. Not that I don't have some options for those, too... :-[  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 11:44:24 PM »
I think he meant me.  There's not enough room for all the Steves round here, so I want you gone, Helmick.  

Richard, I'm actually drawing up something myself. Vaguely jet-styled, Vectorish wing, about 660 sq.in. Might be a while before it appears though, so don't hold your breath.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:46:46 AM by Steve Thomas »

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »
I think he meant me.  There's not enough room for all the Steves round here, so I want you gone, Helmick.   ;D

Richard, I'm actually drawing up something myself. Vaguely jet-styled, Vectorish wing, about 660 sq.in. Might be a while before it appears though, so don't hold your breath.

Probably right. Hey, don't make me come down there (again)! But I've got my passport, in case some sponsorship appears.  LL~ Steve

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 11:48:27 PM »
OK guys - heres some Video of the 61CXLS / Legacy combination. Taken today in windy conditions before the rain started again. Launched at 10,100RPM giving 5.3s laps.

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 05:49:26 AM »
Hi Steve (H) - Sorry, can't help with the Ro-Jett .76 setup, but I'm pretty sure one of our club members has been trimming one out in a new model so will find out where he's up to & send you some details.
Hi Steve (T) - Glad you've got plans (no pun intended) for your 61CXLS. Bring along your scratchings to the next Event so we can have a look :)!

Fortunately since Saturday there's been some tamer weather so I have put in a few more flights where wind wasn't an issue.
RPM was progressively increased to find a happier airspeed for the Legacy & guage Engine reaction.
The Enya must also be close to broken-in as single back-flip starts are now easy & the full 5.5Oz tank is giving around 7m30s flight time.

Launching at 10,450RPM unleashed a whole new level of power & at this RPM the Engine was still 4 stroking in level flight & up into manoeuvres as switching to a 2 stroke remained soft & late.
Tight corners were no problem with the resultant airspeed, however laps were 4.8s…..need those longer lines.
From some quick calculations a set of new lines around 69' are in order. I'll then be testing larger Venturi's of 7.8 & 8.0mm & a 13x4 Prop.

With the longer lines the 45CX & 50CX Engines will then each have another set of tests - both these Engines had plenty more power not realised.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 09:16:37 AM »
From some quick calculations a set of new lines around 69' are in order.

Richard: forgive me if you already know this.

If the rules are substantially the same in Oz as the US then I hope you're measuring from handle to canopy -- 69' eyelet to eyelet would put you over 70' handle to canopy, and therefore out of the running for competition.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 03:27:50 AM »
Thanks for clarifying Tim, that's right. Eyelet to Eyelet the Lines must be no more than 67' 5" on this Legacy to satisfy the FAI regs (max 21.5m Centre to Centre).

The Prop Centre-line to lead-out eyelets & Handle Grip centre-line to eyelet take up 2'10.5" of the allowable measure, connectors then take 3". The new set of lines will be closer to 66' Eyelet to Eyelet.

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 06:48:24 PM »
Had a couple of flights today using the new set of 66' Lines (eyelet to eyelet) this time using an APC 13x4 Prop:

Launching the 61CXL at 10,250RPM was still too quick with 4.9s laps.
Launching at 10,050RPM resulted in 5.4s laps with better switching so I flew the full F2B pattern with a flight time of 8m on the 5.5oz's of fuel. Surprisingly frugal!
The 13" Prop is a little long for flying off grass (tips are now green :o), so will look for some larger wheels - all our fields are grass.

Next flights will be practise for a local contest early December. After that the 45CX then 50CX can be re-fitted - should work well with an APC 12x4 on the longer lines.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 04:58:28 PM »
Had a couple of flights today using the new set of 66' Lines (eyelet to eyelet) this time using an APC 13x4 Prop:

Launching the 61CXL at 10,250RPM was still too quick with 4.9s laps.
Launching at 10,050RPM resulted in 5.4s laps with better switching so I flew the full F2B pattern with a flight time of 8m on the 5.5oz's of fuel. Surprisingly frugal!
The 13" Prop is a little long for flying off grass (tips are now green :o), so will look for some larger wheels - all our fields are grass.

Next flights will be practise for a local contest early December. After that the 45CX then 50CX can be re-fitted - should work well with an APC 12x4 on the longer lines.

Falcon 13-4 is a good prop for Enya61CXL, that's what I'm using in my SV-11.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 04:55:39 AM »
Thanks Allan, that's a help. I picked up a set of 2-1/2" wheels today so experimenting with some 13x4" Props can happen after this weekends contest.

Since my last post I've flown the 61CXLS/Legacy with an APC 12.25 x 3.75 Prop - this wider chord Blade didn't seem to match well as the Engine wasn't happy with the <10,000 RPM needed to keep Air Speed manageable on the 66' lines.

Flew a couple of flights yesterday with the APC 12x4 narrow Blade Prop back on @ 10,000+ RPM launches - gives an effortless run with a strong 4 stroke. A 4" narrow Blade seems the ticket. ;D

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »
Don't have a 45 CX but am enjoying reading about your experiences with the 61. I have only bench run mine but have been impressed with the results so far.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 11:39:45 PM »
Flew the 61CXL with 13x4 APC at the Comp today. A great day with 10 competitors - models ranged from Nobler with OS35 to an Electrified Yatsenko. Thanks to the Doonside Club!!
Didn't make time for a test flight & ended up with too fast an Airspeed. The pressure of a contest! Was still flyable to 2nd place with local handicap scoring  ;D

The 45CX is now refitted with an APC 12x4, and Venturi changed from the 8mm to a 7.3mm Enya swirl type.
A SlimLine Muffler made for the 40X-49X Engine is now also fitted to keep the weight down up front..hope to give this a fly this week.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 09:36:31 AM »
I tried the swirl venturi on a 45SS. Found it hard to set the NV prior to launch as once in the air the engine would accelerate and go faster than I wanted it to. More rat race than stunt run. I'm guessing it was because of the "ram air" effect of the swirls...or something like that. Curious as to how it works for you.  8)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:28:26 AM by Balsa Butcher »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 01:55:14 PM »
Flew the 61CXL with 13x4 APC at the Comp today. A great day with 10 competitors - models ranged from Nobler with OS35 to an Electrified Yatsenko. Thanks to the Doonside Club!!
Didn't make time for a test flight & ended up with too fast an Airspeed. The pressure of a contest! Was still flyable to 2nd place with local handicap scoring  ;D

Nice one, Richard!  Sorry I didn't make it - the inevitable kids' end-of-year activities got in the way.  :(

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 01:52:49 AM »
Thanks Steve - Being this time of year there were quite a few other regulars who didn't make it either. I missed the November Comp day for like reasons.

Balsa Butcher - Thanks for sharing your experience with a Swirl type Venturi. When I can get back to the field I'll take a regular 7.5mm Venturi for comparison using same NVA setting etc.

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 03:32:54 PM »
What kind of muffler is that in the 61 ? One from Kaz Minato? Where can I get one?

Tim

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2015, 04:25:53 PM »
I got muffler and adapter (required) direct from Enya.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2015, 05:54:14 PM »
It looks like what I have run. Adapter from Shtterman on E-Bay, muffler direct from Kaz.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 02:26:00 AM »
The 61CXL-S shown has the matching Enya Adaptor & Muffler that was ordered direct from the factory with the Engine. These fit the 45CXL as well. Available from Kaz, Shtterman (Ebay) and direct from Enya.

I've now managed 3 flights with the 7.3mm swirl type Venturi & APC 12x4 Prop & found it more difficult to prime the Engine due to the swirl edges not sealing well against a fingertip.
I also experienced the same difficulty getting a stable launch RPM. On the 1st flight launching @ ~10,250 & the Engine spooled way up like Balsa Butcher's experience. Fast 5s laps..
For the 2nd & 3rd Flights it launched at 10,000 - 10,050 RPM and it didn't seem to spool up at all compared to the normal type Venturi, resulting in slow 5.7 - 5.8s laps that made even a Wingover difficult..
Unfortunately there was not time to try & achieve a mid point RPM or swap Venturi's for direct comparison, however shall try that & then a normal 7.5mm Venturi on next trip to the Field.

Falcon Prop's Australian Distributor is based in Sydney, so there's now a couple of 13x4 props inbound for testing with the 61 :)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
Thanks for the update!  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »
Falcon Prop's Australian Distributor is based in Sydney, so there's now a couple of 13x4 props inbound for testing with the 61 :)
I think you're gonna like that Falcon.  Let us know how it goes.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 08:44:28 PM »
Seems that the 61CXL's lean & fast run on a hot day a resulted in heavy varnishing & carbon deposits on the Piston & Liner.  The head also became a dull, darker red.
The Engine hasn't been the same since, and stopped mid tank during last month's comp. The thin APC 13x4 Prop, long lines & Finless Head must not have helped. This was entirely operator error & no fault of the Engine!

Bench running a few tanks of 22% synthetic freed the Engine up - reduced the varnish on the piston crown by half.
During a flight test the Engine was still unhappy using an APC thin Prop @ 9,500RPM or higher. Remarkably trying a 13x5 Xoar & then the broader Falcon 13x4 Prop at under 8,500RPM provided a strong consistent 4 stroking run...

This last week the Piston & Liner were crock-potted, removing all the Varnish. Careful use of fine emery paper was needed for the Carbon – using Enya's recommendation from the 45CX instructions.
Once re–assembled & oiled the Engine was tight and squeaked if turned slowly.

I put 5 cycles / 25oz of 22% synthetic Fuel through it on the bench today, running 8,500-9,500RPM on a pipe. Initially on an APC 12x4 then the Falcon 13x4.
It's still relatively tight, so will give it some more running-in before flying again using the Falcon 13x4 prop.

There's another local F2B contest on the 3rd April. At this stage will use the 45CX with the #3 set-up above, so can report on that in just over a week.

Online Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 05:35:14 AM »
Does anyone one have a working email address for Enya?
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 06:04:19 AM »
Hello,
I am just renovating an Enya 45X, and going to try it for stunt. This is a different beast to the 45CX as far as I can see. It has a dykes ring and is suffering from a lot of blow by (dark stains on the piston sides and even on the crank!
The model number on the case is 6101 and is a schnurle (Sp?) ported engine. I was wondering if the 45CX piston and cylinder is a drop in replacement? anyone know?

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 03:17:53 PM »
Does anyone one have a working email address for Enya?

sales@enya-engine.com

Online Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2016, 03:29:21 PM »
Thank you Steve!
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2016, 03:30:50 PM »
Hello,
I am just renovating an Enya 45X, and going to try it for stunt. This is a different beast to the 45CX as far as I can see. It has a dykes ring and is suffering from a lot of blow by (dark stains on the piston sides and even on the crank!
The model number on the case is 6101 and is a schnurle (Sp?) ported engine. I was wondering if the 45CX piston and cylinder is a drop in replacement? anyone know?

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

As far as I know, the Enya 45X never come out as ring engine. I have 2 and they are AAC. Perhaps you got a 45X with a 40X P/L?

The 45CX p/l will not fit and it is not available from Enya. The 45X AAC P/L however I think is available from Enya.

I never test flown one but I am sure the Enya 45X AAC will work quite nicely in a C/L model with a 11~12 x 4~6 prop and 7.0~8.5mm venturi (depends on alt., nitro, drag, weight....).  

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 03:17:31 AM »
Hello Martin,
You are quite correct, a slip of the keyboard or brain! It is indeed a 40X! Maybe I am best off forgetting about it as I am no great fan of dykes rings! Is the 40X a destroked 45X? or do they have different bores?

Thanks,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 05:45:52 AM »
Hi Andrew,

The 40X has a stroke of 18.9mm against the 45CX's 20.4mm. There was however a 40CX version with the same bore & stroke as the 40X - see attached manual covering the 40CX & 45CX models.

It may still be worth an email to Ken Enya to find out whether a 40CX04 Piston & Liner Set will fit the 40X Case & if there's stock available.

Cheers,
Richard Field

Offline Richard Field

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2016, 10:00:03 PM »
Flew the Legacy / Enya 45CX combination again today for some practise before this Sunday's F2B comp.

Set-Up:
10% Nitro / 20% Synthetic Oil Fuel (Morgans)
Thunderbolt R/C Long Idle Bar Plug
Standard 7.5mm Venturi
APC 12x4 Prop
Slimline Tongue Muffler
63'3" 0.018" Lines
Launch @ 10,450rpm
Easy Backflip Starts

Results:
Soft 4-2-4 switching.
5.5oz Open Uniflow Tank gave 6m30s Flight time
5.35s Laps

Gotta say I'm real happy with this combo! ;D

A used 45CX is an economical option for moving up to larger models. Enough power for a 58oz Legacy and can later be upgraded to an Enya 50/61CX without modifying the mounts.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 05:43:11 AM »
Thanks Richard,
I will do as you suggest, no harm in asking Ken if he has stocks and if it fits!

Thanks,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here