News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:52:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: engine speeds up 1/2 way through flight out of ideas , not my plane ,friends  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
One on my flying buddies is having issues with a plane which is driving us all crazy. It is a scratch built Tom Warden Trophy trainer.

Front end is of excellent engineering, glued with epoxy. Engine LA .46  ( tried two different ones that worked well in other planes)

tried two different tanks, different glow plugs including new Thunderbolt RC Long. Different fuels including All Castor Sig with extra oil

added. He has filled the tank box with balsa and added an adjustable ply tank mount, with foam for vibration dampening. He  tried a Hayes

Plastic Clunk tank that has worked well in other planes.  He tried three different props  Xoar 12x4  balanced, Xoar 11x5 balanced and

APC  12.25x3.75 balanced.  He has checked the NVA and used silicone to seal it. I believe he is using a ST NVA with .287 Venture.

It works well until about half the pattern.  This is crazy as the front end is excellent for a profile. He has checked the back plate head bolts

etc. He has Armour All in the fuel also. Almost out of ideas tomorrow he will try a Brodak .40 on this plane to see if the same problems

exist. Both the LA .46 motors were used successfully without issue in other planes?????? Both LA .46 have The Metal backplates, and one

LA .46 has a Randy Smith NVA. One LA has a venture smaller than the .287  . One LA .46 was fairly new but broken in well.

I have never seen anything like this. Again not my plane but really crazy. What say you all?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Twilight zone?

All I can think of is that the props are all on the big side for a 46LA, and the more plane it's pulling the more an LA wants a smaller prop.  If the plane is heavier than the ones he's getting good runs with, maybe try a TT 11x4.5, or an APC 11.5x4?  (my Sister Jenny is a 54-ounce Fancherized Twister that flies nicely with a 46LA and a TT 11x4.5).

I'm thinking that with the "big" props the engine is heating up over the course of the run -- a smaller prop would let it run cooler.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
He has used this set up in a plane that was way over 65 oz. This plane is 55 oz.  615 sq in . I will give him the thunder Tiger 11x4.5 worked well on my LA .46

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
That is most alway in the  tank, or fuel delivery system ( everything uo to the point fuel flow out of the venturie)   so I would check or replace that first
Also don't run all castor in the  OS ,  the  half or 3/4 synthtic oil  seem to run better in the  LA , even some use all synthetic , at  20 to 23 %  total oil.
Another  tip  that can help is to start the motor, put your finger over the  vent tube so the  RPM increase, then set the  needle, that takes about 4 seconds  and most times results in a better needle setting

Randy 

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Another  tip  that can help is to start the motor, put your finger over the  vent tube so the  RPM increase, then set the  needle, that takes about 4 seconds  and most times results in a better needle setting

That's how I do mine -- it seems to take forever to settle on an RPM from the rich side, but it's fairly prompt coming down from lean.  Dunno why -- I've decided that it's just a little blue knob of aluminum with a shaft sticking out and magic on the inside.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Well no luck with Brodak .40, different  prop. etc. Our resident expert flyer thinks that it has a strange resonant noise that can be felt when holding the
plane. We told our friend to put an electric motor in it!!!!!!( He is headed in that direction anyway)  Thanks for all the replies.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Well no luck with Brodak .40, different  prop. etc. Our resident expert flyer thinks that it has a strange resonant noise that can be felt when holding the
plane. We told our friend to put an electric motor in it!!!!!!( He is headed in that direction anyway)  Thanks for all the replies.

Is this unflow or suction, and does it have muffler pressure or open intake to the tank.

If suction and open:  the answer is obvious - at some point the fuel pressure drops too low (which is much more common on a profile) and it can't get enough fuel. Adding castor probably makes this worse, since the ability to suck fuel depends on several items, only one of which is generally considered. Everybody more-or-less understands the effect of the venturi diameter, but most miss completely the fact that the fuel viscosity also has a huge effect - the thicker the fuel, the more difficult it is to draw through the needle/spraybar/fuel lines. One of the things David and I have found over the recent years when we have been experimenting with the fuel system is that even the 75 with its tiny venturi can have occasional "funnies" that can be changed or eliminated by using oversize fuel lines, reduced-viscosity fuel, and/or counterboring the spraybar. The average flow rate is of course higher on the 75 since it's burning *8.5* ounces a flight, but the real problem is not the average flow rate, it's the peaks. If you watch the fuel line you can't see it and it looks like a continuous flow, but in reality it goes in spurts, and that raised the peak velocity in the lines.

Even the regular fuel line makes some difference but the biggest difference by far was made by counterboring the spraybar. We were trying to understand a few things one day, and we ended up comparing the PA spraybar to the Jett spraybar, and noticed that the cross-sectional area on the Jett was about 2x-3x as large. David took a PA and bored it out - which was a complete failure since it removed the needle valve seat! On the next try, he bore it almost to the seat. Then like magic, all the occasional random blips of 2-stroking were gone. Same thing happens when running low-vis oil and a standard spraybar.

I would hasten to point out that it ran pretty darn well even with the stock spraybar and normal fuel tubing - well enough to win the WC and several NATs. It just ran better and better as restrictions in the fuel system were removed.   

I tried the larger line, larger feed line in the tank on the Jett 61, but it didn't make much difference, probably because the peak flow was much lower due to the longer intake timing, less suction, and of course, 6.7 ounces instead of 8.5. However, it was markedly different depending on the oil  content of the fuel. I wasn't sure if it was really just the viscosity or some combustion or cooling effect from the oil. So I tried an experiment - I took some copper fuel tubing and wrapped it tightly around the header, and then JB-Welded it in place. I ran the fuel from the tank, to the copper coil, and then from the other end of the coil to the filter and spraybar. This created a fuel pre-heater much like the regenerative cooling for a rocket engine, except intended to heat the fuel instead of cool the engine. Nor surprisningly this made for a massive needle change,  and bit of lag when starting, but the engine ran even better than normal. Same fuel, no heater, ran much different even when the needle was reset to get the same speed. It greatly reduced the boost in the corners, and the engine ran substantially smoother, almost to the point it was *too* smooth for anything but perfect conditions. It also fell apart in a few flights - jb-weld is OK for fixing leaks in the back end of the pipe, but right off the header seems to be a little too hot.

If uniflow and pressure:  I don't know why, but I have had something very similar to what you describe several times happen to me, both on the ST46 and 30 years later on the Skyray/20FP. It would go about halfway, right after the square 8, and take off. I figured it might have something to do with heating up the fuel and causing it to foam. but that's a little bit if a stretch. It didn't matter where I put the vent outlet inside the tank. I ran many flights with uniflow and pipe pressure on the PA61 and never had an issue, but it does happen occasionally.

Suction and pressure - I would be surprised of this worked less well than suction and no pressure and for sure the mechanism would be different. In this case, maybe the needle opening has to be so small to handle the extra pressure that it starts vibrating like the ST needle used to,. I can't run the Jett on pressure (suction or uniflow) because the needle opening is so tiny with some needles that it was impossible to adjust.

Uniflow and open: no idea.

In any case I would suggest just trying it in a different configuration than it is now, and see if the problem changes, which might give you a clue. Another alternative is to put a 1/2 ounce of stick-on weight *on the tank* (clean well first!) - if it is a resonance issue with the tank, that will certainly change. We found a problem on the original/prototype "Doctor" that responded much differently when we tacked some weight to the tank.

I am actually amazed we don't have more problems with resonance than we do.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  If you have had this issue with all the changes you made including engines, I would take a look at the engine mounts, and make sure the engines are sitting flat. Anything else would tweak the case, put things in enough of a bind to cause it to heat up, then run lean. Is it me or is .287 kinda big even for an LA.46? Or, it's like Randy suggests, use regular R/C fuel. That is what I've been running in the LA.46's I have been using. Not sure what the venturis are on them though..
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
The  281  venturi is  good for a  PA  NVA in an  OS LA 46 , or  a  .255 for the  OS 20  Needle assembly that OS sells for it

Randy

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
Hi all and thanks for the input.  Walter put this on the forums for me while I was busy with other things. 

It appears as though I have a resonant frequency in the plane.  On two occasions, when starting the engine and the engine was very rich and stumbling, the plane shook pretty significantly.  When the engine was needled for a smooth engine run, the shaking stopped and the plane felt pretty much like any other plane running at pre-launch.  The plane initially flies very well, until the engine runaway.  When that happens and the plane speeds to about 4.5 to 4.7 lap times, it seems I can feel a little vibration at the handle.

The plane was built following the plans, but from scratch.  (I build all my planes from scratch...just because.)  Thus, the nose plywood doublers are 1/8" and it has 1/2" balsa triplers over the plywood doublers.  The motor mounts are maple and extend to near the wing leading edge.  I have 1/8" aluminum pads screwed and glued to the motor mounts.  They are on top and not recessed into the mounts such that the maple mounts are not compromised.

Since I suspect resonant frequencies, I have inspected the fuse to wing joint looking for any tell tail signs of movement or stress cracks and I see none. 

I know that you can change the resonant frequency by changing mass but I have no idea where or by how much to try to change things.  I did add a 1/8" plywood "floor" at the tank mounting area, thinking that might help.  I do put foam rubber "pads" under the tank to try to isolate the tanks some.  At one point, I even wrapped the tank in foam rubber and rubber banded the tank to the nose in order to better isolate the tank from the nose.  None of this seemed to change the run away to any significant degree. 

I am currently using a uniflow tank and have tried muffler pressure as well as simply venting the uniflow tube.  I have also tried a Hayes plastic clunk.  Still not changing much in the way of the runaway characteristics.

As for the motors,  I have tried 2 different LA46's and 1 Brodak 40.  The current LA46 has over 30 hours run time and has flown well in the past. 

We did try more castor to the fuel.  I am using Sig 10/10/10.  Randy, I will try a run of all synthetic to see what happens.  Thanks.

Brett, I will try the larger fuel tubing and put a lead weight on the tank to see if anything changes.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Mike
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Nothing was said about the muffler, or spinner, for that matter. Mufflers can clog up, and spinners can be out of balance. And of course, a needle nose spinner has more potential to misbehave. Further, I've never believed in adding Armor All to perfectly good fuel.

Was the same muffler used on both OS .46's per chance?   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
Hi Steve,

Actually I had a Randy Smith muffler on one of the LA's then changed that to a stock LA muffler to try to calm the motor.  I also added a head shim to one of the motors that went through both the mufflers.  No significant changes. 

How's the mustard supply holding out?

Mike
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
Good mustard is available and relatively inexpensive, Mike! I'm good for now...half a bottle.  ;)

Have you tried running stock fuel in your .46LA? I've only run one .46LA, and have run it on everything from a Humongus to a Lark to a 4-Runner, on .271" to .285" restrictors (.157" spraybars), PM 10-29 and 10-22, Wildcat 10-18 Premium with 2 oz of Aero-1 added, and probably some SIG 10-20, somewhere along the line.

For other things to try, I'd suggest trying an APC 10.5 x 4.5, perhaps change the launch rpm. Oh, how much fuel are you consuming? I'm NOT a fan of being a miser and trying to get by with the least possible.  H^^ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
I did not check the fuel consumption.  They were, however, lengthy flights due to leaning out and running away.  In the past, however, that engine/prop set up usually took about 4 to 4 1/4 oz for the pattern.  That was using the Sig 10/20, 12 x 4 prop with my venturi drilled out to about .287.  I drilled it out to swing the 12 x 4.  I use mostly Xoar props.  Going through this "trial and error" program, I did try an APC 12 1/4 x 3 3/4.  There may have been a very slight difference on that try.  It seems to have gone ever so slightly longer into the flight before breaking into the run away.

We did try several different fuels, mostly variations on castor content.  I rechecked the prop and spinner balances, even removed the spinner for one flight.  Thus far, my batting average is about the same as my ability to Fox hurdle...that being zero.
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
Pull the head off and check to make sure the cylinder flange notch is engaged to the tiny split pin they use to index the cylinder. Randy Powell had a problem with his SSW OS .35FP and discovered this was the culprit. Ya never know!  D>K Steve

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
If you aren't already using engine mounting pads perhaps that might change the resonance. Either aluminum or the hard composite type from Brodak might just change it enough to help . Chasing bad engine runs can drive you to distraction.

Brad

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
Walter Hicks OP indicated that there were aluminum pads under the engine, on top of 3/8 x 1/2 maple mounts. It's Sunday, but it's also Mother's Day, so I don't expect flying reports from today, but maybe yesterday?  y1 Steve

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
Yes it has aluminum (1/8") screwed and glued to the top of the maple motor mounts.

I will not fly this again until after the Regionals on Memorial weekend because there is no time to try to resolve it.  I need to find something else to fly.  Given the weather, I will be lucky to get any more flying in before the Regional.  See ya there...???!!!
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
    Is this unflow or suction, and does it have muffler pressure or open intake to the tank.

If suction and open:  the answer is obvious - at some point the fuel pressure drops too low (which is much more common on a profile) and it can't get enough fuel. Adding castor probably makes this worse, since the ability to suck fuel depends on several items, only one of which is generally considered. Everybody more-or-less understands the effect of the venturi diameter, but most miss completely the fact that the fuel viscosity also has a huge effect - the thicker the fuel, the more difficult it is to draw through the needle/spraybar/fuel lines. One of the things David and I have found over the recent years when we have been experimenting with the fuel system is that even the 75 with its tiny venturi can have occasional "funnies" that can be changed or eliminated by using oversize fuel lines, reduced-viscosity fuel, and/or counterboring the spraybar. The average flow rate is of course higher on the 75 since it's burning *8.5* ounces a flight, but the real problem is not the average flow rate, it's the peaks. If you watch the fuel line you can't see it and it looks like a continuous flow, but in reality it goes in spurts, and that raised the peak velocity in the lines.

Even the regular fuel line makes some difference but the biggest difference by far was made by counterboring the spraybar. We were trying to understand a few things one day, and we ended up comparing the PA spraybar to the Jett spraybar, and noticed that the cross-sectional area on the Jett was about 2x-3x as large. David took a PA and bored it out - which was a complete failure since it removed the needle valve seat! On the next try, he bore it almost to the seat. Then like magic, all the occasional random blips of 2-stroking were gone. Same thing happens when running low-vis oil and a standard spraybar.

I would hasten to point out that it ran pretty darn well even with the stock spraybar and normal fuel tubing - well enough to win the WC and several NATs. It just ran better and better as restrictions in the fuel system were removed.   

I tried the larger line, larger feed line in the tank on the Jett 61, but it didn't make much difference, probably because the peak flow was much lower due to the longer intake timing, less suction, and of course, 6.7 ounces instead of 8.5. However, it was markedly different depending on the oil  content of the fuel. I wasn't sure if it was really just the viscosity or some combustion or cooling effect from the oil. So I tried an experiment - I took some copper fuel tubing and wrapped it tightly around the header, and then JB-Welded it in place. I ran the fuel from the tank, to the copper coil, and then from the other end of the coil to the filter and spraybar. This created a fuel pre-heater much like the regenerative cooling for a rocket engine, except intended to heat the fuel instead of cool the engine. Nor surprisningly this made for a massive needle change,  and bit of lag when starting, but the engine ran even better than normal. Same fuel, no heater, ran much different even when the needle was reset to get the same speed. It greatly reduced the boost in the corners, and the engine ran substantially smoother, almost to the point it was *too* smooth for anything but perfect conditions. It also fell apart in a few flights - jb-weld is OK for fixing leaks in the back end of the pipe, but right off the header seems to be a little too hot.

If uniflow and pressure:  I don't know why, but I have had something very similar to what you describe several times happen to me, both on the ST46 and 30 years later on the Skyray/20FP. It would go about halfway, right after the square 8, and take off. I figured it might have something to do with heating up the fuel and causing it to foam. but that's a little bit if a stretch. It didn't matter where I put the vent outlet inside the tank. I ran many flights with uniflow and pipe pressure on the PA61 and never had an issue, but it does happen occasionally.

Suction and pressure - I would be surprised of this worked less well than suction and no pressure and for sure the mechanism would be different. In this case, maybe the needle opening has to be so small to handle the extra pressure that it starts vibrating like the ST needle used to,. I can't run the Jett on pressure (suction or uniflow) because the needle opening is so tiny with some needles that it was impossible to adjust.

Uniflow and open: no idea.

In any case I would suggest just trying it in a different configuration than it is now, and see if the problem changes, which might give you a clue. Another alternative is to put a 1/2 ounce of stick-on weight *on the tank* (clean well first!) - if it is a resonance issue with the tank, that will certainly change. We found a problem on the original/prototype "Doctor" that responded much differently when we tacked some weight to the tank.

I am actually amazed we don't have more problems with resonance than we do.

Brett

Interesting experiment with heating the fuel... funny we did the same thing but the other way around to cool fuel on an racing bike I experimented on sometime back (Copper tuning coiled up in the Air Filter box. When you get right down to it the fuel delivery systems in model airplanes is down right stone age. It is a wonder get any consistency at all. Heating a alcohol based fuel most likely helped the fuel atomize. Fuel atomization has been a hot topic in performance engine building for decades. Some insist that polishing the intake manifolds to a mirror finish improves performance by reducing drag on the airflow to the engine, others insist that a rough intake helps the fuel atomize (mix) better with the air. But I agree with you and Randy high castor content will not help the situation. I do not think there has ever been a CL flier alive who had not had engine runaway issues at some point. Less so with 2-2 engines used today but it still persists. One thing to try would be to run a full tank out on the ground and watch the fuel in the fuel line and see if anything changes, maybe it will do it on the ground as well.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
He has Armour All in the fuel also

%^@ %^@

Out here in Terra Australis , for some time now , the ' NEW ' armourall has sushi in it !

The filter clogs up with it , and the fuel gets slithers of it . dunno if it still foams , think the ' anti foam ' is gone.
Dunno if this is global , or its just us thats been tricked .

SO give the fuel a shake , if it foams , give up on armourall . Check the filter for slithers of white translocent gook . It produces acres of it ,
enought to clog like that in half a flight .
After the fuels mixed a week , youll probly see the sushi like long fibres , if you hold it up to the sun , if in a clearish litre or gallon plastic container . >:( >:(

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
At Last!  I am now getting good engine runs.  Here is a recap of the saga.
Just before the Regionals contest in Roseburg, Oregon this past May, I was trying to solve an engine running away in a new Trophy Trainer.  I tried numerous “fixes” but nothing was working.  I believed that the problem was due to a resonant vibration in the plane.  Very unfortunately, just after the Regionals, I developed a pinched nerve in by back and could not walk, let alone fly for the next few months.  But with some physical therapy and frequent exercising, I am on the mend and back at it.  So here are the steps that got me to the fix.
Since I was convinced it was vibration related, I stiffened the fuse.  I have attached a few of the pictures but essentially I made a 1/8” x ½” x (about)17” piece of 6 ply plywood strip, then laminated a .010 thick piece of carbon fiber on that.  I then used a balsa stripper to strip off (approximately) a 3/8” thick section of the bottom part of the fuse.  I then epoxied the plywood, carbon fiber side to the fuse body at the “notch” in the bottom of the fuse, glued the cut out piece of balsa back onto the plywood piece in the fuse, then finished.
First test flight, the engine still ran away but more in the middle of the flight rather than a few laps into the flight as before.  Thus the characteristics seem to have changed.  So I took the plane back home and “sandwiched” the fuse with two pieces of approximately 3/32 balsa.  I wrapped the balsa with masking tape to hold it in place without damaging the finish.
Yesterday was the next test flight.  Again the engine ran away about half way through the flight.  So now it now seems that the engine runaway was more related to “time into the flight” as opposed to “amount of fuel in the tank” as before.   That coupled with the now very stiff fuse, seemed to confirm the problem was, at a minimum, no longer related to the vibration.
With that in mind, went back to the basics and looked at what else could cause the problem.  Since it now seemed like time into the flight and engine leaning out, I started looking for related causes.  The fuel filter was tucked neatly under the muffler.  So I removed the fuel filter entirely and ran a new piece fuel line around the engine so as to insure it did not touch the engine.  (During the earlier trouble shooting procedures, I had checked the filter for leaks, cleaned it and replaced the tubing.)
With that change, the plane almost made it through the pattern without running away.  Up to now, I had been running a uniflow tank on pressure.  Given the improvement but incomplete “fix”, I decided to take the uniflow tank off of muffler pressure.  I did that and got a complete flight.
I finally got a full flight without a runaway.  After celebrating, I removed the taped on fuse stiffeners and it again flew without a runaway.  So it seems to be fixed, but…here is the larger question however.  This motor is a well-used  LA46.  It came from another airplane.  In the other airplane, its fuel consumption was in the area of 4 ½ oz.  Now it is slightly less than 4 oz.  Why so much less than before?  It wants to run much more lean than before, hence the propensity to run away,  and I don’t understand why.  It is the same N/V and venturi as before.  I don’t remember if this is the same tank as before, just not sure.  Was the fuel filter too close to the engine and heating up the fuel?  That is my theory.  I will replace the filter but make sure it is well away from the engine.
I have included a picture of the nose of the plane (please ignore the gunk build up on the motor, I need to clean it up now that it runs).  The only thing I see that is questionable is the proximity of the venturi to the fuse.  The reason I have not pursued that is because back in the earlier stages of trouble shooting this problem, I had tried a Brodak 40 in the plane and its venturi sat well above the nose ring area.   I wanted to give an update to the problem and its probable fix because of all of the help I got from everyone and to share some of the trouble shooting their outcomes.
Tx.  Mike
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
THIS IS A RETRACTION!
The plane is NOT fixed.  I indeed changed, to some degree, the characteristics of the runaway, but it runs away none the less.  As I said in my last post, I was going back to the basics because I thought I had the vibration "licked."  I again changed the motor and tank.  Still runs away, or at best, runs away and will occasionally try to recover back to a 4 cycle.

So I am beat.  I am converting this to electric.  When you see me flying a classic plane with electric, please bear in mind I am not simply ignoring the intent of the Classic event but merely resisting the urge to throw an otherwise good airplane away.
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Hi Michael,

Believe me I'm no engine expert, but I have an OS 46LA that I'm really pleased with how it runs. Because I'm no engine expert I have to keep everything as simple as possible. The engine is on a 56 oz. profile, running an APC 12.25x 3.75 prop and a 5 oz. uniflow metal tank with muffler pressure. Everything is stock including the muffler with the exception of a CNC aluminum backplate to replace the nylon one. I used a very thin bead of clear silicon sealant to seal the backplate to the case. I am also using the stock remote needle valve assembly and venturi. Have you tried the stock remote needle valve?

Also, how does the engine quit at the end of the flight? Does it "surge" for a couple of laps before it quits or does it cut off cleanly?

Dennis

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:55:49 PM by Dennis Nunes »

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
To steal a famous Cliche, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth” LA engine, aluminium or plastic back plate? Since this seems to be related to time, what changes with time? In this case the thing remaining is temperature, after all other items have been eliminated. Temperature causes things to expand. Are the engine mounting surfaces absolutely flat and rigid? Could e that pressure on the engine mounting lugs are causing a distortion in the engine crankcase when the engine reaches a specific temperature, the backplate may develop an air leak, or their may be a hairline crack in the backplate or within the threads of the back plate mounting screws which is not a problem until the engine heats up to a certain point. I have had an experience with a faulty needle valve where the center pin (needle) would get loose and wander but only after the engine got hot enough. Drove me nuts for quite some time. did not discover it until I swapped out the whole assembly with an ST style NV in frustration. Then there are just some engines that will start running funky after a while for no apparent reason and need retirement. But I do notice from the pictures you must be running or have been running fuel with a rather high castor content. Which is indicated by the brown varnish on the muffler. Have you switched to an synthetic fuel? What oil ratio are you using? Switching to a synthetic fuel on and engine that has been run primarly on a high castor content fuel can cause issues.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
Hi and thanks for the thoughts. 
I agree with both of you and your thoughts and ideas.  The part that really complicates this is the fact that I have had 3 different motors in this plane.  Two LA46's and one Brodak 40.  I have tried a metal uniflow and a plastic (Hayes) clunk.  I have played with different props, fuels, venturi's, tank isolation's (not oscillations), and air frame stiffening.  The motor  mounts are maple with 1/8th aluminum pads glued and screwed.
That covers most of the experimentation.  The result is always the same, with some slight variations.  The best I have ever gotten is a reasonably decent run with some erratic running.  Most are total runaways after a few laps, sometimes more than a few but still unpredictable. 
So I have already cut the motor mounts and I am fashioning an electric set up primarily because the plane flies well when it is not running away.
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
I would also have wondered if the filter was contacting the muffler or just getting too close and heating the fuel. Somebody may come along and say that hotter fuel will be lower viscosity and would flow easier through the NV and therefore get richer, not leaner.

I will say that I never use take-apart filters except on my fueling rig. The Sullivan Crap-Trap is just too close to bulletproof. I wonder if your filter was installed backwards? There is a correct direction of flow to all of them I've seen. But good luck with that electron stuff! See ya at Fall Fallies, I hope!  y1 Steve 

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
For what its worth I had a LA46 on a Cardinal profile. Took off and flew perfect the first half of the flight and then ran away. After trying everything I pulled the tongue muffler off and drilled out the existing holes .003 each. Never ran away again. Ran the same from the start to end of plastic tank. APC 12 1/4 X 3 3/4, mostly a strong 4 cycle with a slight break into 2 cycle at the top of maneuvers. Good luck with yours.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:50:56 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Mike, I think your ideas for stiffening the fuselage are 100% sound. But I do not think taping the stiffeners in place would structurally bond them with the airframe in a way that would work. I would epoxy it all in place and try again. Maybe it was enough for the first flights but loosened after that.

If it was me, the first and main stiffening measure I would take is to epoxy a hard 1/4" or 3/8" balsa or basswood doubler to the inboard side of the nose and extend it all the way back to(or aft) of the high-point of the wing. Sandwiching 64th" ply, fiberglass and/or carbon veil under it could only help too. That'll mean stripping the paint, but that can be re-done.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Look how much balsa, ply, and fiberglass I have on the nose of my Twister. The fuse is laminated with a veil sandwich and covered with fiberglass and silkspan from nose to tail. The doublers and triplers are on both sides of the nose. It makes the tank and engine look recessed, but it's stiff as a rock.

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here