News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:10:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AME Norvel 061 R/C  (Read 1760 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
AME Norvel 061 R/C
« on: March 02, 2017, 04:02:20 PM »
Scored a new AME .061 R/C,  planning on putting it on a 1/2a Pathfinder.
Questions please
1-Do I need to find a venturi for it or can I just wire open the carb?
2-I've read extra gaskets help this engine a lot, where can I find some?
And 3- I've also read that the AME needs pressure to run right, can I just tap the backplate and add a nipple?
Thanks guy's
Dwayne

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: AME Norvel 061 R/C
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 06:57:20 PM »
Dwayne, from my experience these are my answers to your questions. #1- the wired carb should work just fine, I have a couple on combat planes that work great like that. #2- I have only had to add an extra gasket one time, can't remember why but most of the time on 1/2a engines you want or need as much compression as you can get, the norvels handle it just fine,. #3 - The Ame version does beg for fuel, a thin bladder of sort is usually best, muffler pressure will work, tapping the backplate adds a lot of steps to starting and getting a good run. My advice is if you want to use the ame , try it first with muffler pressure. My 1/2a pathfinder needed so much nose weight , I tried the .061 , then the .074 and settled on a os max 10. Have not flown mine yet, I believe Eric V. has some that fly really good on a .061. Good luck!!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Daryll White

• 2018 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 07:02:31 AM »
You can get extra gaskets from Cox international, the Cox copper gaskets fit the .049,.061 Norvels, the higher the nitro content of the fuel you're using the more gaskets your going to need. I usually start with three gaskets. Once you're broken in the engine you can remove one or two of the gaskets. You can  contact NV engines for a pressure tap backplate.The Big Mig .061 runs great without pressure. A good prop for your setup is the APC 6 x 2.

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 09:53:42 AM »
Dwayne, from my experience these are my answers to your questions. #1- the wired carb should work just fine, I have a couple on combat planes that work great like that. #2- I have only had to add an extra gasket one time, can't remember why but most of the time on 1/2a engines you want or need as much compression as you can get, the norvels handle it just fine,. #3 - The Ame version does beg for fuel, a thin bladder of sort is usually best, muffler pressure will work, tapping the backplate adds a lot of steps to starting and getting a good run. My advice is if you want to use the ame , try it first with muffler pressure. My 1/2a pathfinder needed so much nose weight , I tried the .061 , then the .074 and settled on a os max 10. Have not flown mine yet, I believe Eric V. has some that fly really good on a .061. Good luck!!

Ray,
Out of curiosity, what is the weight of your 1/2A P'Finder w/ the Norvel .061? Reason for question - I have built and flown (3) 1/2A P'Finders w/ Norvel .061's. All weigh in the low 11 oz range (if I remember correctly, shop is out back). I moved engine back 1" to get balance at design cg. I do build the lightweight fuselage, stab and elevators, per plans.
Thx,
Roger Vizioli

Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 03:30:14 PM »
Roger, sorry, in my earlier post I meant to say Roger V. My Pathfinder is from a Brodak kit. I will pull it down next week and take a look at it again, I believe when I got the cg right it would fall back on the tail. I will start a new thread and not hijack this one. Thanks, Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 07:22:28 PM »
Ray,
No problem re . referring to Eric.
See your e-mail for pics, had trouble posting here. ?? I did post same ages ago, no problem.

Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Dwayne

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 07:14:33 AM »
Thanks guy's I forgot Cox gaskets fit this engine.  y1

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here