News:

• April 18, 2024, 12:16:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your Worst Combat Experience ...  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Your Worst Combat Experience ...
« on: August 24, 2016, 05:27:26 PM »
Recent mention of a LiPo fire somehow brought back the memory of my worst combat experience ever:

Minnesota State Championships, 1960, at the MN State Fairgrounds ... hot enough on the hard surface where we flew combat to fry an egg instantly, with humidity to match.  First round of combat; I'm running a K&B 35C Green Head on a Wooten/Cleveland Whatzit and feeding it Missile Mist fuel.

Judges say "Go!", I flip the prop, engine backfires, flames all over.  No big deal; we've dealt with this stuff dozens and dozens of time.  BUT ...

The young Civil Air Patrol Cadet standing near us instantly springs into action with his fire extinguisher!  Before I can say "Darn!" the airplane is completely lost, and the engine will never regain normal performance.

I couldn't blame the Cadet, so ...

Warning: Keep track of anyone around you holding a fire extinguisher!

Now: what was your worst combat experience?

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Your Worst Combat Experience ...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 07:44:56 PM »
I flew the event(s) as much as possible from 1961 through 1991, then a few more in the 2005 to 2010 time frame. 

There were lots of good & bad happenings.  Typically only one out of sixteen comes out on top.  So there are more horror stories than successes.

I remember the successes well.  The failures are written off in the can't-win-em-all file. 
Paul Smith

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:28:05 PM »
My worst experiences all happened when I started thinking ahead-  so and so is in the same bracket, stuff like that, instead of concentrating.  Finally taught myself the mantra " Just try to win the NEXT match'.
Do that and you won't win them all, or at least have a good match, but they'll come more often.
phil Cartier

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 04:40:48 AM »
Back in the mid-1880's, I had a stack of brand new scratch built "Hot Stuff's" (my own design 1/2 A Tee Dee powered airplanes) at the field and ready for a day of 1/2 A combat with some OKC guys. One of the guys, "Alan", stumbled... and stepped back... right onto my stack of airplanes. All were a total loss. Worst experience ever.  In fact, I think that was the last active combat I flew for quite some time. Just didn't have the heart (and money at the time) to replace the stack of lost airplanes.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:10:26 AM »
Being picked up by my pit crew and stuffed head first into a 1/2 full  trash can( 90 degree day) at the 69 Willow Grove NATS.

That was their reward to me for coming out on top. n~

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 09:12:42 AM »
My worst experience???......I missed some available combat events.....
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 11:24:49 AM »
My worst? Not getting a chance to compete in the 1960 and 64 Dallas Nats!!   64 Lesson learned; build your own motor mounts... Mount came apart and ejected engine - done......
1960  was a fiasco.  Flying Bill Carpenter in match when he got early cut. No problem; more speed and plenty of time..
Only thing, as I rolled back to attack he pancaked in. Rules at that time, 60 points for cut, minus 25 for hitting ground.
Over 4 min. left but he was not coming back up. They were flipping like mad but glow plug was not hooked up. At that point I whipped the plane through a half wing over and snapped a switchback which promptly broke the string. The judges then stopped the match until I could land and attach a new streamer... When I went back up time started again and I did the same thing again when I saw he was not trying to get in the air. This kept going on until time finally ran out. Bad thing is these pit guys were part of the Johnson gang and I thought friends. Even though the judges warned them they were not disqualified for unsportsman like conduct which was the only rule to apply at the time...
It is the only time I ever felt cheated but I still feel that was way out of line................rw

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 11:52:58 AM »
Bob.. I was thinking along the same lines....I was not real good, did not really have competitive equipment, or the skill to use the junk I had....effectively

BUT in the Oakland Bay area was a LOT of weekend contests...Mom (while dad was in Viet nam) drove me to a few

One local contest I did not Miss (in your sense) BUT I did MISS--- due to a 1970s Ford LTD station wagon (SW)....4 siblings, and "Beast" the female Gordon setter...acquired at my birth and was my puppy/dog as the eldest son...

On the way to San Jose... I forget the venue or contest... MY three Enya .35 5442 Mongoose planes were totally destroyed by my dog and family screwing around in the back of the SW... ...I was maybe 15~16

This about 1971, and I totally forget who all was there, BUT do remember the Hobby shop fliers advertising the event and the several (Magazine hero) fliers who would be there

As I recall, this was not the typical weekend contest--- but a bigger event for Calif Regional standings... I had zero expectations of doing well, but still could have gone back to my neighborhood school yard and combat buddies and still been a hero for loosing my ass to someone like Dick Mathis

So even just watching, I had a blast

Back in the school yard I told very believable lies about my losses...

I know low character points for this admission,,,,,, BUT I was just 16 in Oakland/Berkeley Calif... were you expecting the honorable citizen I (much later) eventually became???  
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 02:48:16 PM »
I was flying an opponent at the Bladder Grabber and was having an epic high nitro Nelson fight. I finally got in position and made a kill move that should have taken the kill. It was one of those committed moves in that once you do it, you are wide open to be killed. His knot was still there and I was killed after the move. I later looked at the knot on his streamer and someone had put CA on it. It had pulled through the foam and notched the spruce wing spar.

Ken

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »
Possibly one of the BEST Fast combat matches I've ever had was with Jeff Rein. We were working out way through the pyramid at a N.W. Regionals. We always seemed to have great matches and he killed me clean somewhere half way through the day, after I made one error.. We were both flying "large". Jeff had a 60 some inch narrow wing and I was flying the giant f-ing Allenplane. Both honking Nellies. We met in the finals for 1st and 2nd. I have no idea how long the match went on for and at every half or quarter point of each move, the correct counter move was made by the other. We were really in the zone and I began so see the moves two or three ahead. I hit the sweet spot that would force a counter move and it was the ONLY mistake made in the entire match by either pilot. I saw it and pulled the trigger. I was so focused on the kill spot.....I didn't pull out. I wanted to be sure I had hit it. I did and then realized the G.F.A.P. was stuck in the mud up to the backplate. Onetime Jeff and I sat down and tried to recount the wins vs loss between us.....the best we could count was an even 50-50. WHAT A HOOT.

Ken

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 06:07:13 PM »
I flew in a small local combat match and saw a very unique and worst day for someone else so much so I still remember his name, I'm sure it's Jeff Rein. It was at Carkeek Park I believe right next to Puget Sound (Seattle, WA) and I do mean right next to as in a few feet. What happened is during the match the lines were cut on the wing and it flew out into the sound about a 100 yards out! He tried to swim out to it but that didn't work and last I heard a boat was needed. I think it had a brand new engine on it like a STG21/35 is why is was important.

Being a young teen flying fast combat most of the time against the adults a kill on me or crash was a bad day.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 02:06:41 PM »
 ;D ;D  Talk about combat!!  I was invited to put on the gloves and get in the ring with Mike Tyson.  I didn't know he had just had a big argument with his manager .... %^@.  I threw a right cross followed by a text book left hook ;D.   Next thing I remember was 6 months of traction  :-[   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here