News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:40:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What do you guys cover your Aircraft with?  (Read 4527 times)

Offline beercamel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
What do you guys cover your Aircraft with?
« on: April 16, 2017, 12:12:24 AM »
What does everybody use to cover classic combat aircraft with?

I am rebuilding an old VooDoo and I am considering silk , just because I like the look..  I have been out of the hobby for 30 years and only have experience with silk, silkspan, and monokote.. so please be specific!

Thanks

BC
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: What do you guys cover your Aircraft with?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »
If you want a plastic type finish try SLC over polyspan.  Works really well and strong.  I've done several that way and I like it for sport type finishes.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/slc-over-polyspan/

Check some of the later posts to see my 2 old time combat planes that I did using the method.  An original design from the 60's and a Berkeley Lancer.
Jim Vigani

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 12:22:24 PM »
Here is my combat wing using the poly-span with SLC over it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Dwayne

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »
Looks good John, may I ask way you use two coverings? I just use SLC and scuff it with scotch brite to give it a more vintage look.
Thanks

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 04:22:38 PM »
for combat Graffiti, we grade the finish on authentic materials for extra finish points, so a lot of silk and nylon are used

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 08:51:13 PM »
Nice looking Guillotine, John. Full flaps! Did you use line connectors to attach the stab, just like in the old days? Why apparently a tank instead of a bladder? Just kidding, whatever suits your fancy. I loved the way they flew. H^^

Offline Paul Seeley

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 12:55:12 AM »
Just covering a couple of vintage designs (A Squig and a Pirhanna since you ask) I was going to use Nylon, but decided to try some Sig Koverall.

Happy to say it went on very nicely and easier than nylon ;D

I used clear UHU as an adhesive; two coats thinned with cellulose thinners brushed on and allowed to dry then stuck the Koverall on with an iron just like film. A quick blow over with a hot air gun tightened everything up before giving a few coats of dope (2 x 50/50 and 1 x 60/40 so far, will give a light sand down and add a couple more 70/30 later today to give a nice shine)

I've a few others to do and was going to use silk on mylar for a couple to compare weight wise, but coverall looks like nylon and is about as tough. Only drawback is it's only available in white, although some folks dye theirs)

Cheers
Paul

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 08:07:35 AM »
I use cheap laminating film I get off ebay. 1.3 mil works great. I spray the back side with white primer to look like tissue. You can change colors and still look like colored tissue. Just a light mist, dont coat it. Then I spray frame work lightly with 3m77 for a good stick. If I want to paint I scrub with scotch brite and shoot. Looks like silkspan with great gloss. More durable and much better shelf life. I do miss the smell of dope though.
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 10:45:13 AM »
Looks good John, may I ask way you use two coverings? I just use SLC and scuff it with scotch brite to give it a more vintage look.
Thanks

Makes for a more durable covering.  To me in person it looks like a ton of clear dope on silk span, but weighs a lot less also less time.   Also my pups don't like the smell of dope any more.  Top to bottom,  Sandy, Prissie and Teddy.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 11:49:06 AM »
Bobby.
I'm in the midst of building a Raunchy (per the article) . The covering is dress lining (med weight) and dope. It looks perfectly like the silkspan we can no longer get. The most difficult part is getting the graphics. I may do it freehand.

Ken

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 06:53:09 AM »
Arlene painted that one freehand. She just looked at the old mag pic and whipped it out. No way would I take a paint brush to my airplane....b ut I guess it wasn't her airplane, so no worries!

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 09:10:29 AM »
thinking the same here.......we be airplane builders, not artists. If it isn't a stencil or mask then don't do it....good motto.

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 11:13:55 PM »
If you want a plastic type finish try SLC over polyspan.  Works really well and strong.  I've done several that way and I like it for sport type finishes.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/slc-over-polyspan/

Check some of the later posts to see my 2 old time combat planes that I did using the method.  An original design from the 60's and a Berkeley Lancer.

Thanks for the reply!.. What is 'SLC'?

Sorry for the ignorance..  I was big time into C/L until about 1974, when I began college and went into the service..  I diddled a bit with what I still had..  but now as I approach the end of my career I have time to get back into model aviation..  A lot of things have changed!!

BC
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 11:14:31 PM »
Here is my combat wing using the poly-span with SLC over it.

Looks GREAT.. Just what I want!..

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 11:19:06 PM »
I use cheap laminating film I get off ebay. 1.3 mil works great. I spray the back side with white primer to look like tissue. You can change colors and still look like colored tissue. Just a light mist, dont coat it. Then I spray frame work lightly with 3m77 for a good stick. If I want to paint I scrub with scotch brite and shoot. Looks like silkspan with great gloss. More durable and much better shelf life. I do miss the smell of dope though.

Do you have a link to that film?  How do you shrink it?

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 07:23:23 AM »
The lightweight laminating film I used to get came from GBC.  Nap-Lam.  Part # 300002.
.0015" x 12" x 500'.  Crystal clear with a dry stick-um on the back.  You iron it on and it shrinks.  The benefit is that the low temperature lets on use it over bare foam.

A roll should do 70 to 80 planes.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:32:55 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 07:27:29 AM »
Here's a link to some on ebay. It's 1.5 mil. It will work great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/School-Smart-Laminating-Film-1-5-Mil-Roll-12-x-500-foot-1-inch-Core-1277259-/291994564405?hash=item43fc3b7735:g:U7IAAOSwt5hYcbY-

Thas a 12" roll. Make sure that will cover your wing. They have wider rolls too. just follow the links

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 11:33:06 AM »
Beercamel,  SLC - Super Light Covering from Phil Carter at the Corehouse.   It is basically a mylar film with heat sensitive glue.  It is also available on the Ebay.  I know the roll I got from Phil did at least a dozen planes.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 09:07:42 PM »
Here's a link to some on ebay. It's 1.5 mil. It will work great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/School-Smart-Laminating-Film-1-5-Mil-Roll-12-x-500-foot-1-inch-Core-1277259-/291994564405?hash=item43fc3b7735:g:U7IAAOSwt5hYcbY-

Thas a 12" roll. Make sure that will cover your wing. They have wider rolls too. just follow the links

Is that strong enough to cover a repaired Russian F2d airplane?
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 12:58:19 PM »
Yes. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here