News:

• April 15, 2024, 10:55:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Omega revisited by Gordan Delaney  (Read 3069 times)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Omega revisited by Gordan Delaney
« on: January 17, 2016, 04:44:44 AM »
Here is Gordan Delaney's nice tribute to the Omega that his friend Ralph Day flew back in the day.
Tail has been extended and it's powered by a side mounted hot Johnson combat special engine.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Omega revisited by Gordan Delaney
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »
The weight of the Omega is 15.5 oz. Don`t know how hot this Johnson is I got it off e-Bay. But it looks to be in good condition so it should run well.                   

Gordy           

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »
Looks a little too nice to risk in combat!  Very cool plane.  Nice job.

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 06:36:30 AM »
So, Gordan, I don't suppose you will be coming to NJ to fly those beautiful ships in Sept. Hmmmmm??

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »

Gordon,
                  As I am sure that you know the original Omega had the elevator attached directly to the trailing edge of the wing.  Did the original designer make that modification later or is that you tweeking it for a little better performance.  My brother-in-law and I flew an Omega with a J-BB .36 back in 1966 and in the original plan form, it was a pretty hot flier.  It was a straight kit model built according to the kit plan at that time.  Anyway, I was just wondering about the mod.  Great looking airplane....don't forget to post a flight report here.     D>K     H^^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 09:22:41 PM »
Terrence,  I was thinking the same thing.  I had the 1/2A version in which I cut off the elevator and enlarged it.   Was a fun plane to fly.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:17:30 AM »
The original kit had the elevator hinged to the TE and an upright engine. I built one whenI was 14? and believed what the instructions said.....some warning about it going 120 or some such thing....I was so freaked out that I crashed it. No doubt because it was going 120........:)
What fun.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 01:15:34 PM »

Ken,
       Yes, we found that the kit OMEGA was plenty hot........it certainly lived up to the caution comments on the plans about high speed and maneuverability.    D>K    H^^

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 12:18:26 AM »
Yes, I know it was attach to the trailing edge. But I built this the way
 my friend Ralph Day Built his back in 1963. This is a copy of his, the only difference I set mine up for a Bladder. His had a metal tank. He also left the rudder off. His also had a Johnson 35 that was reworked. And mine is set for a Johnson too. Mine is stock.Darn.  Weather has been to wet and cold to do any flying. I`ll let you know when I fly it.     PS: I built this plane off the plans.       

Gordy
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:38:11 PM by Gordan Delaney »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here