i just picked up a double Nemesis kit , are they worth building
rad racer

Online mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Nemsis
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:35:27 PM »
I like mine. Silk and dope with a MK IV on it. Right at 100mph on 10% nitro. Turns much better that a VooDoo, and goes wherever you point it. Very easy to fly. Super easy construction. I'd build them both.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »
Here is a bit on construction of the Nemesis written by the designer Howard Rush
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 09:24:33 AM »
They are worth building but only if you send me one.....:D

The classic engine would be an ST .35 BB, Y&O 8 x 8 or 9 x 7 as it's one of Howards favorite props.

Send Howard a note and get some suggestions form him on line rake for .018 lines.

Fun airplane to build and fly.

K

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 11:19:52 AM »
Make patterns of the kit as you will like the Nemesis.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 11:20:42 AM »
The nemesis is one of the nostalgia combat designs I wanted to model and Howard steered me to Pat Johnston who cut me two short kits with excellent section of balsa

I believe the link to a PDF I posted includes Howard's notes about initial flying and trimming but no mention of different lines and rake

Got too many projects the last year so the Nemesis is in the que but not built yet...I do plan silk covering

Do you self a favor and have Tom Morris send you decent contest Balsa to replace any of the kit wood that is 12~25LB stuff

Attached is the CAD plan.. a royal pain to print out at Kinkos or home (tiled) but the critical dimension is the chord exactly 9 inches

ON the plan are the specific grain and weights of different areas..... This model fly's OK heavy from kit version..... but I have flown a friends built to Howard's spec and it is MUCH better in the lower weight and straight build....

My buddy built one of the kit models and copied all the bits for a contest grade light balsa build.... the two planes are very different animals. Both with Fox 36 MK VI for power on Rev up 8x8 props, 35%N from a Phil Cartier Yellow tubing bladder.....

Sorry it was a while ago so do not remember the exact different weights but the light one was in the range Howard suggests while the other was quite a bit heavier and mushy in all the turns

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 12:04:14 PM »
I built a pile of F2D Nemesis for vintage diesel combat. The Brit planes and be problematic to get to fly well.....when they do, they are excellent. The Nemesis flew as good or better on the first flight. I still have one but with a thicker airfoil because of practicality of getting a tin tank into it. ....actually on this one, I used a Mono Boom template.....modified a tad.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 01:44:51 PM »

i just picked up a double Nemesis kit , are they worth building

Definitely yes!  I built mine back in around 73-74..  one of the local fliers loan me the plans.  It'll turn on a dime and yet very stable.  I still fly it once in a while.  It certainly helps to keep my reflexes up.

Online mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 04:48:28 PM »
Here's mine.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Online mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »
You can't make it out due to the bright lighting but Howard was good enough to sign mine at the Nats last year.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 06:52:30 PM »
Well I got my plans from him directly right after he took first at the NATS.  He had a roll of the plans with him.  Was that 1972 or 73? ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
Re: Nemesis II
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 11:22:51 AM »
First post here.

What a search it has been to locate this plane I used to build and fly in the 70's & 80's. Found the pdf files here and if I want to order full size plans a website has them. But I'm lazy and would rather build it and not fabricate all the parts like I've done so many times before.

I built and flew most all of the fast combat wings of the time both from kit and plans but when I built one these there was no looking back till now. Made every plane I had start collecting dust.
Build like the plans say which is straight, smooth and light it flew fast. I had one Super Tigre G21/35 that ran for some reason better than the others enough to make it lap other Nemesis II planes.

Anyway, don't have any plans around much less a kit, so does anyone kit this now or do I have to build it from scratch?

Thanks for any help!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Nemesis II
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 11:38:23 AM »
First post here.

What a search it has been to locate this plane I used to build and fly in the 70's & 80's. Found the pdf files here and if I want to order full size plans a website has them. But I'm lazy and would rather build it and not fabricate all the parts like I've done so many times before.

I built and flew most all of the fast combat wings of the time both from kit and plans but when I built one these there was no looking back till now. Made every plane I had start collecting dust.
Build like the plans say which is straight, smooth and light it flew fast. I had one Super Tigre G21/35 that ran for some reason better than the others enough to make it lap other Nemesis II planes.

Anyway, don't have any plans around much less a kit, so does anyone kit this now or do I have to build it from scratch?

Thanks for any help!

Contact Pat Johnston, he is a member here or email him, He does laser cutting and I think he has the files for the Nemesis in his library
also, for the record, Pat is a great guy
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 11:57:52 AM »
CL flyer...

Yes sir!
 Pat Johnston's short kit is damned near complete and his selection of wood is superior---- like most cottage industry laser cutters

I sill have not built the two he sent me,
Reasonable price..VERY good wood
Howard's plans and notes
I do plan to build them using silk n dope and power with Nelson .36c and Fox .36 MK VI once I get competent at silk covering

Wooten Voodoo
Berryman Big Iron
Mathis Mongoose

And many many more Old skool combat planes are on my future build list

Just a note...the Howard Rush CAD plan will NOT scale correctly at home or at Staples or Kinko's...

I did third party for a full sized set of plans....(old forget who) The most critical dimension is the 9" wing chord... If you can get that scaled correctly for printing, the other dimensions will be within 1/64th of true

But the truth is with Howard's CAD plan, you do NOT need a full scale plant to work from for pat Johnston's short kit... BUILD HINTS AND Trimming NOTES  are the meat....

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 04:54:49 PM »
Thank you, just looked up Pat Johnston so I'll contact him and go that route.

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
Re: Nemsis II
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:40:05 AM by CL-flyer »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here