News:

• April 16, 2024, 07:46:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox .36x differences  (Read 9059 times)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Fox .36x differences
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:55:50 PM »
I have two fox 36x models here.  Of the two, which is better suited for a combat model. I will only be sport flying it, not for competition.
But what are the differences? Is one much better than the other?

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
Re: Fox .36x differences
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:07:06 PM »
Hi Dane:

The one on the right may/may not be a 36X. The size number has been removed by machining. That could mean one of two things:

1. It's a very early 36X and used a 35X case. Thus the "35" was machined off the case.

2. It could be a 29X, in which case the "36X" designation on the side was also machined off.  Sometimes there was a "29" stamped on one of the mounting lugs to denote the difference.

IF it's a 29X, by looking into the exhaust port, you should see that the sleeve liner is thicker than the sleeve liner on the 36X that's on the left. Also, it could just be the lighting/angle, but it appears the glow plug on the unmarked engine on the right is angled the incorrect way?

Can you take a picture looking into the exhaust port of the unmarked engine so I can see the sleeve porting?  Also, a pic from the front and down on a bit so I can make sure the head on the right engine is installed correctly oriented.

One way or the other we'll get your Fox engines figured out.

Andre

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 05:37:44 PM »
One on the right - think Andre's correct.  A 35x - straight up plug
One on the left-looks like a 36x needle bearing

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »
Dane
Use the .36. It has a stronger crank and just seemed to run better. If it blows a plug, add a head shim, it will run in a sport application for years.

K

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 06:18:45 PM »

Upon closer examination of the picture, I think Frank is correct that the plug is straight up and not angled incorrectly. You have to look real close (I had to use reading glasses!), but the plug does appear straight. If I can see a good pic of the sleeve, I can tell for sure if its a 36X or a 29X, but with the straight plug, I suspect it's a very early 36X in a 35X case.

As for the 35X: Using sport fuel (like 10% nitro, castor lube), it will easily outlast most of us.  You only get into issues with the crank when you start re-timing and pumping the nitro to it.

I just purchased 3 very lightly used 35X engines and I will have no qualms whatsoever about putting them on appropriate vintage combat airplanes and running them on 10% w/castor and open venturi's.

As for your 36X:

* IF it has no web in the exhaust, it was manufactured from about 1964 or so up until about 1970. IF it has a web in the exhaust, it was manufactured after 1970, as I recall.

Aside from the "Tigre vs Fox" preferences, a decent Fox 36X will run and run and run if used reasonably (leave it at stock specs) and taken care of (keep castor going through it and don't get crazy with the nitro content).

I have a stock 36X on a Demon, and pulling .018" lines and on 10% nitro, will easily bust 100 MPH no sweat.

Enjoy!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »
Sorry guys, I thought I had more pics up.
Here's the box it came in. The info on the wood block says it was overhauled in '77. I was hoping it was an early 36x. The box looks like a straight plug, and I believe I got this from the original owner. He said his memory might be fuzzy.... lol.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 07:28:39 PM »
Here's a pic of the liner and head

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 07:30:53 PM »
Sorry, can't load more than two pics. The manual was in the box. I'm hoping this is the box for this engine, but who stores an engine in its original box.... ? Not me! Lol.
My goal was to stick this on a super Satan and baby it around at 80mph.
Is that plausible?

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 08:30:57 PM »
Hi Dane:

The cylinder liner is an .800 bore, therefore it has a 36X piston/sleeve in it.  For sure not a 29X.

It will be fine in a Super Satan and with a Fox 36X restrictor in place on pressure w/10% nitro it ought to run about 90 MPH.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 09:10:46 PM »
Thank you very much Andre. We are aiming to get some stuff done and head to tulsa next year for the vintage combat event. My aunt Rhonda lives in Tulsa. Easy visit!

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 04:42:37 PM »
Around 1960, Fox produced the needle bearing Combat Special for $19.95.
In 1977 he introduced the Combat Mark III.
Nothing in between was worth trying to start.
Paul Smith

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 10:07:23 PM »
Spoken like a true Supertigre fan.   ;D

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 05:00:28 AM »
Around 1960, Fox produced the needle bearing Combat Special for $19.95.
In 1977 he introduced the Combat Mark III.
Nothing in between was worth trying to start.

Paul :
Ouch. Golly, gee whiz, holy smokes. That's quite a spread of Foxes that you put in your trash heap.
  The performance of the Fox 36xBB ( circa 1964-72) .  Well, at the Vintage Combat Festival this past September, there wasn't a ST within 15 MPH of 120.  No doubt ,There maybe some somewhere. We had half dozen or so old Foxes crack 115.
 BTW just to show that I'm open- minded, I have a C35( beautiful machine work that tickles my Italian pride) mounted on a Voodoo and it performs nicely. A G35 would no doubt be faster, but heavier.
It's all fun.
Frank

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 07:21:11 AM »
Well I was born in 1982, and didn't build any aircraft until 1992 or 1993. I didn't even know control line existed until about 2011. So all of these are new to me! I competed in speed a lot these last couple years, so combat made a lot of sense to get into. I like flying fast!

So now I have the fox 36x needle bearing and a mkIV combat special. Which would be more period appropriate on a super Satan?

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 09:29:14 AM »
Spoken like a true Supertigre fan.   ;D

TRUE.

Although after a few years good ST's became hard to find as well.  When Duke gave away Combat Mark III's at the 1977 AMA Nats it was a whole new world.  At that point the only people competing in combat were those who could MAKE ST parts.  The Mark III was like Colt 45 compared to a musket.

Yeah, there were a few good Foxes in between, but I didn't have enough money buy a bunch of engines hunting for a few good ones.  Sort of like looking for an engine for a Fox 35 Stunt event.
Paul Smith

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 05:27:42 AM »
Dane,
  The period correct engine is the 36x.

Tom
AMA 13001

Advertise Here