News:

• April 24, 2024, 01:30:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combat Kitten  (Read 3845 times)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Combat Kitten
« on: April 19, 2016, 06:14:40 PM »
Think anyone would ever reproduce this classic kit?
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
Re: Combat Kitten
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 08:51:57 PM »
http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6410

There is half a 2-model kit sitting at my parents house...  I have been meaning to trace the parts but forgot to grab the kit when I was there last.  2 hour drive puts a crimp in plans.

Phil

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 07:12:19 AM »
Like the Flite Streak and Combat Cat, the Kitten used machined balsa LE's & TE's that were expensive for Top Flite to make and prohibitive for everybody else.

Maybe a simplified version, like the Brodak Lightning Streak, would be more feasible. 
The Kitten was not as undersized as the Little Satan an other half A's at the time.   

Paul Smith

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:33:04 AM »
Although carving a Leading edge is not difficult at all. Especially if you have a good low angle block plane.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:12:05 AM »
Anything is possible.   Peter Henkman.

But somebody who needs a 1/2A to be kitted is unlikely to whittle down a 1" square stick.   A better option is the work-around as in many Brodak kits.

Paul Smith

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 11:51:13 AM »
I used the measure tool and it says the plan I linked is 11.35 inch span, while the actual span is 22 3/4.  It would appear that the plan is 50% scale at the top.  The two views are the same scale. 

I don't know when I'll get that kit to trace parts.  Hopefully in the next month or so.

Phil

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 09:17:55 PM »
Ah yes, the Combat Kitten!  Way back in the mid-sixties, it was my first "combat wing" airplane after learning to fly C/L. (Via half-A's I might add.)

There are a couple of Combat Kitten threads over at the 1/2 A forum here at Stunthanger.  Here's the direct links:

First is a discussion of the Combat Kitten that evolves into some 1/2 A combat wing kibitzing...

http://stunthanger.com/smf/12-a-building/combat-kittens/

Then a "for fun" Combat Kitten vs Lil' Satan thread...

http://stunthanger.com/smf/12-a-building/lil'-satan-vs-combat-kitten!/

Still have the intention/hope of building me a TD powered Kitten "someday".

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 10:20:05 PM »
Hi James! Lol
So Walt Umland kitted the combat cat for a brief time (i think). I wonder if we can con him into some kits?

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 03:01:26 AM »
Even the Cat would be cool.

I have a partial kit of the Combat Kitten .   Few ribs..nose block that's in sections... LE.... part of the TE....and that odd looking spar.  Surely the kit looks way easy  enough to scratch build. I'm just shocked it has been reproduced or attempted with more modern techniques
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 03:17:02 AM »
The Combat Kittens were a favorite of mine in the '80s.  A friend & I got in lots of combat practice with Kittens running Medallion .049s on surgical tubing.

The Medallion is a bunch less "finicky" than Tee Dees, and the Kitten is a pretty rugged airplane.

Resulting in great practice for combat on a small field, using very little fuel!

Dennis

PS: Also won combat at an AAA contest back in the '60s with a Combat Cat that had seen lots of service.  Running a 1959 plain-bearing Fox 29X it was surprisingly fast, keeping up with ST combat engines on Voodoos for example.  [Well, the engine wasn't exactly stock ... :):):)]   Really loved that one, no problem adjusting for the engine offset, wouldn't mind building another!
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here