stunthanger.com
News:
CLICK HERE---->    <----CLICK HERE

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. May 23, 2017, 11:31:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bear Sidewinder  (Read 541 times)
George Truett
2016 supporter
Trade Count: (0)
Lieutenant

« on: March 17, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this 80s slow combat design from Bear Model Products in IL.  I picked up an old kit at Perry, just couldn't resist.  Plans say originally drawn in 82 and updated in 83.  It's a complete, kind of interesting kit, center fuse is 1/2" hardwood, maybe pine and everything else balsa, I expect it will build pretty quickly.  I'm thinking of putting an OS 25sx on it just for fun.  There's not much distance between the leading edge and the engine, looks like a 3 1/2 ounce chicken hopper tank will just fit.  Anyone have any experience and/or suggestions?

Thanks,  George

Dave Edwards
Lieutenant

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:21:17 AM »

I think we are advancing from the disco era to the grunge rock era of combat!
Ken Burdick
Captain

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:16:01 AM »

sounds like a good combination you have there. The os will be less vibration than what it was designed for and with the long nose that's a good thing.
It should be a fast and fun ride.

K
Rich Perry
Commander

Rich Perry
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:22:27 AM »

The Slow combat designs fly great with the long nose/tail moments.  The rules state a 5" distance must exist between the thrust washer and the leading edge of wing.  Then a minimum overall length of 26" If I remember right.  With a Fox .36 you needed a 28" overall length to get the balance right.  There are hopper tanks designed just for these planes, but if it were me, I would just run a bladder since yours does not have to be legal.  The point of the whole thing was they were meant to be profile aircraft.  They evolved far away from that. They also were not "Slow", especially with the advent of the Nelson.
Terrence Durrill
Captain

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:13:34 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this 80s slow combat design from Bear Model Products in IL.  I picked up an old kit at Perry, just couldn't resist.  Plans say originally drawn in 82 and updated in 83.  It's a complete, kind of interesting kit, center fuse is 1/2" hardwood, maybe pine and everything else balsa, I expect it will build pretty quickly.  I'm thinking of putting an OS 25sx on it just for fun.  There's not much distance between the leading edge and the engine, looks like a 3 1/2 ounce chicken hopper tank will just fit.  Anyone have any experience and/or suggestions?

Thanks,  George

I have two Bear Sidewinders and I powered them with Fox MKiV 36 Combat Specials.  I thought that they came out heavy and certainly need at least a 35/36 Combat Special of some kind for balancing as well as to have adequate power just to fly reasonably well.   Coffee    Hoff
Rich Perry
Commander

Rich Perry
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:11:17 PM »

Also, it was common to cut away some of the leading edge to fith the tank.  About an inch or so if I remember right.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: