Blank
« on: May 29, 2016, 01:05:59 PM »
Blank
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:08:57 PM by Air Master »

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: What is the threads enya clamp on muffler?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
Rusty I have  "All about engines by Harry Higley" . There is a chart in the back of the book titled common engine metric screws. The chart indicates 3.0 x 30 for the muffler. This is based on an Enya 40 as this was the example listed.  Hope that helps.
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:49:13 PM »
I don't have any Enya engines, but if it's old enough to use a clamp-on (factory) muffler, I'd expect 3mm major dia. x .6 mm pitch, from OS and ST experience from that era. Somewhere along the line, that size became non-standard, and more modern engines use 3m x .5 pitch. For metric, that means .50 mm (almost .020") from peak to peak, unlike the way SAE threads are measured.  If you have the old screws, you should be able to scale them (.0236" for .6mm pitch) to get a general idea. The 3M x .6 is almost dead nuts on a 5-40 thread, and most engine tuners routinely put 5-40 screws into the old ST and OS engines, generally without anything other than lubing up the 5-40 screws a bit.

If you have an old screw, measure the OD...3mm would be just under .120". Check that, then try meshing a 4-40 thread screw alongside the old one. If it's .6mm pitch, it'll be almost a perfect mesh, but the diameter is wrong. DO NOT use a 4-40, it will be very loose...but it would screw into the female thread and wobble around. The 5-40 screws aren't real commonly used, but they are available from a good industrial fastener store or online from various sources, such as McMaster-Carr.

There are some sources for "3M x .6" (apparently the proper designation) screws, but personally, I would use 5-40's because they'll use a 3/32" hex wrench and I won't have to dig out the metric set...tho I carry both in my field tool box and have several sets at home in the shop.  D>K Steve 

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »
The original threads for clamp on Enya mufflers are M3 X .6 . The M3 X .6 is JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard). The ISO (International Standards Organization) is M3 X .5 . The JIS screws are better for use in Aluminum because they are not the fine thread of the M3 X .5 . I think that M3 X .6 are not readily available in Japan these days. Either that or people outside Japan bitch about screws that are not ISO standard. The newer Enya engines have ISO threaded screws. The .6 pitch screws are 42.3 threads per inch. I would run a 5-40 tap in the holes before using 5-40 screws. The holes can be re-tapped to M3.5 X .6 (ISO and JIS standard). They can also be re-tapped to use 6-32 screws.
Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here