News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:41:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whipping together another classic (Sportster build)  (Read 6565 times)

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Whipping together another classic (Sportster build)
« on: November 13, 2016, 12:24:18 AM »
In between sanding sessions on the Sabre, I got started on another classic. It's a bit obscure and not really a competitive design, but classic legal nonetheless.
Any guesses from the pic?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:50:20 AM by Clint Ormosen »
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Online Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Whipping together another classic
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 08:41:51 AM »
Akrobat or maybe Van Loo Chipmunk ?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 09:55:49 AM »
In between sanding sessions on the Sabre, I got started on another classic. It's a bit obscure and not really a competitive design, but classic legal nonetheless.
Any guesses from the pic?

I'll go with a "Ballerina".  I had an Ulman (sp?) kit and that is the type of canopy it had!

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:22:42 AM »
Nope to both of you  VD~

Gordon, since when is the Vanloo Chipmunk not a competitive classic design?  mw~
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 11:04:37 AM »
Ringmaster Imperial?  Love watching your builds. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 11:17:29 AM »
Ringmaster Imperial?  Love watching your builds. H^^

Nope, but closer.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 11:55:48 AM »
Ringmaster Sportster

Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 12:09:49 PM »
Yes sir, that's it! H^^
 The Ringmaster Sportster. I don't know why, but I've always wanted to build one. I searched out and bought original kit, but typical Sterling, it's horrible wood.
Enter the Pat King version. While not exactly original construction, it still the same plane. I bought a canopy from Bill Sawyer years ago in hopes of doing this model. I'm going to use a 25LA.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 12:37:23 PM »
I helped my older brother (by two years) build one from the kit around 1974-75.  It was our first flapped build.  We had no idea about setting up the controls so went for max deflections on both the flaps and the elevator.  He was not big into the built up fuselage deal either (after a great build on a Ringmaster Senior)  so turned it into a profile with maybe 3/4" or 1" thick plank fuselage.   We put a Testors McCoy Series .35 on it, which was a bugger to get started,..but it was all the BX had in stock.  It flew o.k. but we could not get it to do much other than straight and level and a dives and climbs as I recall.  I don't think we ever got it to loop.  Again, most likely due to our control set up.  The trike gear was neat, another first for us.  I remember that it had a very good glide when the power was off.  Don't have a memory of what happened to it now that I think on it..  This was while we were stationed at RAF Wethersfield in the U.K. .  We returned to the U.S. in 1976 and I don't know what happened to that plane.  I remember giving and or selling a bunch of built up stuff as we did not think they would survive the transit back to the states.    
Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 10:01:22 PM »

Way to go Clint, just build it 'cuz you want to. y1

Staying tuned... ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 11:54:41 PM »

Way to go Clint, just build it 'cuz you want to. y1

That's how I roll... H^^
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 12:29:19 AM »
Ok, maybe "whipping together" was the wrong term. The wing is kicking my a**. It's too small for my regular wing jig so I thought I could just block it up on the bench. Hahaha! Wrong!
I had cut it apart to save the ribs. Going to plan B. (There isn't really a plan B yet, but I'll figure out something here)

Here's a pic of the nose. I have the nose gear wire clamped in and curing. Since it's a sidewinder engine, I'll have to modify the front end a bit to fit a muffler. I'll come back to that.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:35:55 AM by Clint Ormosen »
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 02:45:26 AM »
Ok, second attempt at blocking up the wing. I did away with the flimsy 1/16" sheet spar (you can see the slots in the ribs for it) and decided on spruce spars. They don't weigh much more than hard balsa spars and I think will better support the wing gear mounts. Coming out much straighter this time.
I'm sure someone with more patience than me could've done just fine with the kit designed spar.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: Whipping together another classic (Sportster build)
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 07:30:19 AM »
I built Pat Kings prototype model for him and used a magna jig to build the wing. That was a few years ago but I don't remember having any problems with it except that it is a tight build. The Bill Sawyer canopy that came was unusable to me and I used one from a kit that I had but also made a mold to make more if needed. The only problem was putting an Enya BB35 in the nose as it was long and large and really filled the engine compartment but it did fit after some careful re engineering. I don't remember the weight of the model but mine was a surprisingly good flyer. It wouldn't be a serious contender for anything but it did most of the maneuvers. it was sold to a friend that just had to have it and it hangs on his wall as a permanent hanger queen, Terrible end for a model. Here is a picture of it.

dennis

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 08:25:22 AM »
Dennis, I remember you sharing that pic with me a few years ago. Very nice rendition of the sportster. I hope mine turns out as well as that one.  H^^
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 10:33:59 AM »
Hey Clint with a light build and finish there is no reason the plane shouldn't be competitive.  Ley Bob whitely or Dave Fitzgerald fly it.   Always thought it was a great looking design.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 02:26:25 AM »
Finished the basic wing framing, epoxy in the BC mount and main gear mounts. Bent up some wire for the LG.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 05:47:06 PM »
I built two of them in the 60's,   a few years apart.   I enjoyed the first one a lot and while it wasn't a Nobler, it definitely was a move up from the S1 RM.   The other I built and flew on Lackland AFB.   It didn't last very long.  Hope you enjoy it !!!!
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 11:00:13 PM »
The canopy yells "Navion!" especially the prototype pictured above. Is it safe to predict we will see this at Woodland-Davis in the spring?

And for your next oddball trike gear project how about a Palmer Mars? Probably flys well, given its lineage.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 09:49:38 AM »
The Mars is a great flying machine if kept light and straight.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 10:11:49 AM »

And for your next oddball trike gear project how about a Palmer Mars? Probably flys well, given its lineage.

Don't think I haven't thought about it.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 11:20:25 AM »
Ok, second attempt at blocking up the wing. I did away with the flimsy 1/16" sheet spar (you can see the slots in the ribs for it) and decided on spruce spars. They don't weigh much more than hard balsa spars and I think will better support the wing gear mounts. Coming out much straighter this time.
I'm sure someone with more patience than me could've done just fine with the kit designed spar.

"We've come a long way baby!"  

When building in what I might call my third c/l generation (post 1990's era) like you, I'm all about jigging up anything and everything to keep the build plumb and true.  Lots of time spent on engineering a means to drill a truly straight engine mount hole in a profile fuselage. Then how to do that three more times.   Funny, but back in the day (gen one era of the mid 1970's) the Sportster build I mention above was simply a case of building it on or off the top of an old dining room table (more off the table then on) and using the Mk-108 eyeball to ensure things were "true".  A 3/8's hand held Black and Decker drill was the boring tool of choice.  We did not know any better and most of the time they flew to an acceptable level of "good", we were not about competitive flying at all mind you, only fun flying. We did attempt to build the best we could.  It was a great time.  Now I tend to do more thinking and looking and pondering just about every phase of a build.  Most of this "pondering"  is based on a need or want of an extremely accurate build of course.  Members post their builds here and I'm often amazed at the level of construction perfection. Perfect joints that mimic the product of a marquetry master artisan.  I love what I see.  I guess I also aspire to do the same, but it tends to slow my progress as I sweat the details....in pursuit of that "perfection".
Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here