News:

• April 24, 2024, 01:34:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mackey Lark-Nats version  (Read 8656 times)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Mackey Lark-Nats version
« on: January 22, 2016, 12:07:44 PM »
Just finished this one. Modified from the RSM kit. Flies great!, full pattern on second flight. Eric makes nice kits is all I can say. Power is an LA-46.  First pic is Charles Mackey w/ the original, then my version. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Mackey Lark-Nats version
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 12:21:09 PM »
Pete, out of curiosity, what changes did you make?
Tom
AMA 34849

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:10:35 PM »
The plans published in M.A.N. showed a rear set enclosed canopy w/low turtle deck. This is typical of other Mackey designs and was incorporated (so I have been told) at the request of the M.A.N. editor. This is the version that is kitted by RSM. Curiously enough, the pictures in the article are of the open cockpit model even though the plans show the enclosed canopy version.
Bob Hunt won an early VSC with the enclosed canopy version, a picture of which is shown on the RSM web site. I always liked the plane and went with the open cockpit to do something different. Originally it was going to be built for the Knights of the Round Circles' "Charles Mackey Contest". Unfortunately that contest is no longer being held. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 01:22:06 PM »
Pete,
It is really good to see your "Lark" built as it was pictured in the original article. Looks great. The "Lark" plans did not have an open cockpit. There were several airplanes published that had plans different than the airplane pictured.

Examples: The "Detroit Stunter" pictured had an I-beam wing but the plans had more standard construction. The version of the "Argus" pictured was not the same as the plans, the wing tips were not the same.
AMA 7544

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 01:27:10 PM »
Pete! That's really cool! Do you make it out to whittier for contests? I have flown speed there a few times now (with my four year old daughter). I want to make some stunt contests out there this year

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 03:01:49 PM »
Thanks Tom, yes, one of the things I like about Classic is it seems every airplane has a unique story which make re-creating them even more interesting. For me, the classic era was the golden age of stunt.
As as Whittier Narrows is concerned, yes, I'm pretty much a regular at contests there but last year was an off year. Hope to change that this year and maybe even make it to Las Vegas to fly with you guys. One more pic. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 03:22:26 PM »
Hi Pete,

Looks outstanding!  Good luck with it, sounds like a great flying model.  I saw Bob's a lot and it really flew great.  He used a warmed over Webra .32.

What did you use for the orange??

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »
Hi Bill, that's basic Sig Orange over a light grey primer. Hasn't been buffed out yet but that's on the aroundtuit list. Other colors used are Sig dark blue, gold, silver, and black. Lite-coat clear on top.
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 05:01:32 PM »
Looks great and Charles would be proud of you.  Had privalage of meeting him at a VSC years ago. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »
Thanks, Pete!  I must admit, I really like it!  Best of luck, especially at the NATS, which I hope to make this year.  Oh, I just thought of it.... this was the version Charles used at the NATS, you might not be going there....... well, either way good luck with it!  :)

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 06:58:12 PM »
Nope, won't be going to the AMA Nats anytime soon but may make an appearance at the Classic Nats (AKA VSC) this year. ;D
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 08:03:38 PM »
Nope, won't be going to the AMA Nats anytime soon but may make an appearance at the Classic Nats (AKA VSC) this year. ;D
==============================================
That would be nice.  We certainly hope you will.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 12:14:47 AM »
Well, I can't pass up an invitation like that-entry form will be in the mail Monday.  ;D
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 05:11:55 AM »
I've always preferred the version with the enclosed cockpit. It just looks swoopy! Besides, one of my all-time heroes, Gene Schaffer used to design models that had similar fuselage profiles. He told me that he got that idea from the enclosed cockpit Lark after it had been published in Model Airplane News.

Attached are two photos. One is of my version of Charles Mackey's Lark that was built from plans, and the other is of Gene's "Blackbird" (so named by his competitors on the East Coast back in the 1960s; Gene didn't name his planes in those days...) at the 1969 Nats. By the way, I've started construction on a Blackbird for possible use at the Nats and at a future VSC.

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 12:17:41 PM »
I like the open cockpit version. But then, I always like Tuckers, too.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 02:00:36 PM »
   ...Hey BOB, ...CHEERS,  JOHN
AMA 11416

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »
Thanks for posting Bob. The open cockpit gives more of a vintage "vibe" over the swoopy, 30's air racer (IMO) "vibe" of the enclosed cockpit. I like them both and seeing your's fly at VSC ?? was one of the inspirations for the build...and yes, I have always liked Tuckers as well. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 03:40:29 PM »
John,
Thanks for the pictures. Wish it was a better picture, but we didn't have light meters in those days. It looks like one of  Gene's airplanes in the foreground. Artie's New Yorker in the middle, I don't recognized the 3rd airplane.

That is the first picture that I have seen of Gene with a group. One of my fondest memories is of Gene and me playing 4 handed piano at my house.

We often showed up at contests very tired, since we both had gigs the night before.

At one contest Gene and I were parked next to each other trying to take a nap when Harold Price pulled up next to us and woke us up with his loud car horn. We were ready to kill him!   Those were good times.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:09:18 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 04:03:38 PM »
Check out the name printed under the song title!
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 06:22:59 PM »
That's good...all five pictures in fact. Am I wrong here but does the name "Voxpoppers" refer to the "Cordovox" accordion? For those unfortunate people who do not play the accordion a Cordovox was (is) an electronicly assisted accordion. It was usually played through a Leslie speaker cabinet. The instrument in the band photo could very well be a
Cordovox as they look identical to an accordion...a very large, heavy accordion. Not many of them around anymore-talk about  a vintage vibe but very cool back in the day.  8)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:38:34 PM by Balsa Butcher »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 08:57:07 PM »
I am also curious as to the "Voxpoppers" name.

I played a couple years in a piano bar that was owned by a man who had a band and he played accordion. Since I started on accordion, I occasional used his Cordovox for some other gigs. It is a wonderful instrument that can mimic a Hammond B-3 organ. among other things.

Now I have an 88 key keyboard with incredible sampled sounds that imitates every thing you can think of. I will have to take a few college courses to get everything out of it, but it is the first instrument that I have played that has accurate piano sounds. I currently work in a trio and it is wonderful to have numerous accurate voices to use. 
AMA 7544

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 06:01:54 AM »
Voxp0ppers 1958 hit #17 Wishing for your love.

I have that record on 45 in my now small 45 collection,1000 down from 30,000+
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 09:43:11 AM »
Never heard of them where I was at on the farm.  Mostly country music from the one station we could get.  1958 finished sophomore year and starting junior year.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here