News:

• March 29, 2024, 12:58:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Mig-3, Reconnaissance Aircraft and Warbird!"  (Read 254201 times)

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: "Mig-3, Reconnaissance Aircraft and Warbird!"
« Reply #1200 on: April 27, 2015, 10:22:08 PM »
Wouldn't the styrene sheet trick be substantially heavier than using the paint and primer trick?  Just curious. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #1201 on: April 28, 2015, 06:22:38 AM »
Wouldn't the styrene sheet trick be substantially heavier than using the paint and primer trick?  Just curious. H^^

Glenn,

I'm sure it would be.

To get the same effect with tape, the tape has to be applied, twice actually for the thickness in buildup, possibly three layers? Then there's that radius which could offer some issue using cut tape plus the two ends of that tiny panel also with radius ends.

All areas not wanting primer will have to be masked. In this case, that's a good portion of the entire model. Then you have to sand the tape edge to remove the primer on the tape. This assures you don't remove any of the primer that makes the panel.

Then all tape and covering material has to be removed. That's a bunch of work.

So, a gram or two, will it make a difference seeing it's not a stunt model?

Besides, all I expect this model will do is roll along the ground.   LL~ LL~

For this particular model and how crazy it's progressed in construction, not to mention the detailing, i.e., that world class cockpit, gear struts and wheel well doors, and all that fuselage detailing to give the appearance of a Mig-3, it will still come in lighter than my ARF Pathfinder.

The Pathfinder weighs 55oz and change powered by an OS LA .46. Flies fine.

The Mig-3 is smaller, less wing area and less everything else, including drag, so, it should fly faster given the same engine power, OS LA .46. Well, it's not actually the same engine, I have a few.

So, with a good prop choice and RPM it should get in the air.  #^

It certainly won't glide as well.  n~

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1202 on: May 01, 2015, 06:28:22 AM »
Which Prop you thinking about using? I have some real efficent props I might never use. :!
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1203 on: May 01, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »
Which Prop you thinking about using? I have some real efficent props I might never use. :!

John, what a guy.  H^^

I already purchased a three bladed Tru Turn spinner for the Mig-3 so the prop will have to be a three blade.

There is plenty of them available AND the pitch can be altered if necessary.

WHAT HAVE YOU GOT!!!  LL~
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1204 on: May 02, 2015, 07:57:23 AM »
John, what a guy.  H^^

I already purchased a three bladed Tru Turn spinner for the Mig-3 so the prop will have to be a three blade.

There is plenty of them available AND the pitch can be altered if necessary.

WHAT HAVE YOU GOT!!!  LL~

Only one....9" with a 6 pitch. Its on my Nobler[62"ws] D>K
If you get to the point of using a 2 blade prop, and the plane is still in one piece, I'm your man! H^^

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1205 on: May 09, 2015, 10:46:19 AM »
I think it's too late for Klingon Cloaking Mode.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:05:10 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1206 on: August 05, 2015, 04:55:55 PM »
I've been neglecting this Thread. Thought I'd catch up a bit.

Nose of the Mig-3 painted with water base paint.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:06:40 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1207 on: August 08, 2015, 08:14:45 AM »
I cannot believe I'm still getting hits on this Thread. 104 hits in the last 12 hours, but not one more reply. Don't know if anyone is enlarging photos or not either?

Thank you for stopping in for a look. It's appreciated.

I'm really close to getting the surface detailing completed on the model's bottom side. With any luck, I may get the final coat, a dusting actually, on the model today. Tomorrow for sure.

These colors are all water base artists paint.

Here's my recent progress.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:09:39 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1208 on: August 08, 2015, 12:01:18 PM »
Found a bit of time to finish the detail on the wheelwell area. Not much left except the leading edge detail, as I said, I'll have to make a template for that. Just a couple of pieces.

Probably get this wing bottom painted tomorrow.

Edited for spelling:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:10:18 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1209 on: August 17, 2015, 09:16:20 AM »
I have much of the work I'm doing on the Mig-3 in other related Threads, like "Paint and Finishing," where I show some airbrushing, "Building Techniques," I show the progression and detail of the Mig-3.

I still get hits in this Build Thread, plenty of them actually, so I'll keep this Thread as current as I can.

I've been expirimenting with surface detail using vinyl. These are current photos.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:11:34 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1210 on: August 28, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »
No magic here, just simple markings made of vinyl, part of what I do for modelers all the time, but this time for myself.

Already had the art because I've made these things plenty of times in plenty of sizes.

Top side of the model waiting surface vinyl detail and a few thousand rivets.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:12:20 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1211 on: September 04, 2015, 03:48:11 AM »
Way too cool.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1212 on: September 05, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »
I love model building, especially when the model looks like a real aircraft. The Mig-3 is shaping up.

1,600 rivets and change.

Could be the last photo before the topside gets painted a shade of olive green.

But I have more topside surface detail to do first.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:12:56 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1213 on: September 06, 2015, 08:05:08 AM »
Wish I had an imperative to be in Fla. I'd like to see that first hand....maybe touch it! I don't know how you sleep at night with that thing in the same house! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D LL~ LL~ LL~ ;)

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1214 on: September 20, 2015, 07:52:59 AM »
Wish I had an imperative to be in Fla. I'd like to see that first hand....maybe touch it! I don't know how you sleep at night with that thing in the same house! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D LL~ LL~ LL~ ;)

John,

Your always kind with your replies and that is funny.

Look at it like this, the Mig-3 and I, the Old Gal, are still on our honeymoon.  LL~

You do handle a model a bit more when it has extreme detailing on it.

The model is actually viewed in small areas where you may be doing a spicific detail like a fairing, and interestingly, I will be doing a few fairings next. Trying to anyway.

Quite different than painting a solid color, pulling tape then walking away, done!

The Mig-3's solid yellow underside was just the beginning. Billions and billions, oops, I mean thousands of rivets had to be detailed to make them look alive. "It's ALIVE!." Well, make them look obvious anyway. Without the detailing you really wouldn't see the rivet.

"Scale." Can't loose sight of the fact that this model, the Mig-3, isn't really scale at all and in no way is it meant to be.

The Mig-3 has just been a fun build which I'm enjoying, and a model that has undergone a considerable number of great design changes along the way. "Great," if I can say that, because I think the Mig-3 has evolved nicely.

I sometimes wish I could pass the buck to someone else for the design of the Mig-3, because it hasn't been well received by many. I can't because I did the design and drew the plans. As the model progressed I redrew the changes plenty of times, tiny works of art actually, for every small change along the way. I even drew plans for the scratch built exhausts, didn't know I could buy exhausts from Brodak.

Just like I wish I could give credit to someone for making and providing the cockpit detail.

Same with this stupid bent strut. Can't give anyone credit for doing it because, good or bad, it's my work.

I really wish I had a few modeling friends that could supply items like this to me. Early on I could have used a good instrument panel.  ;D

The time it takes to make all these extras, it adds up, getting items from other people can save a great deal of time and they might even do better work! All the extras are worth it though, because these extras add to the appearance of a model, just like they add weight.

"Wow! Look at all that heavy detail."  LL~ LL~ LL~

Today I will experiment with a few fairings for the stab to fuselage area. See how that goes.

Here's the "off the shelf" Robart strut I had from my R/C days. Yea, yea, I know the Mig's gear leg is straight, but I didn't want to spend the money, I had these.

I believe I posted a photo of the strut before in the building stages, the soldering and all and a bit less detail, well now they are done!

Thanks for the reply John. Hey! and thanks for that great Ringmaster!

Charles

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:14:20 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1215 on: September 25, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
The final frontier.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:15:03 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1216 on: December 31, 2015, 03:12:16 PM »
Here's the Mig-3 completed. Finally. I have more photos of the Mig-3 in the Open Forum. You'll have to did to find it, it's been there for some time.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:17:41 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Danny Fenton

• Ensign
« Reply #1217 on: January 05, 2016, 11:56:59 AM »
Looks terrific! You should be well proud of the Mig  H^^

Cheers
Danny

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1218 on: April 09, 2016, 10:29:30 PM »
Well, seeing this is the Mig-3 Thread and Build, I thought a few more photos of the model belonged here.

I hope these photos are well received.

Charles
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:21:58 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1219 on: April 15, 2016, 01:19:45 PM »
Charles....you have GOT to get some flight videos of that beautiful ship!   Please, please. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1220 on: April 19, 2016, 12:52:57 AM »
Charles....you have GOT to get some flight videos of that beautiful ship!   Please, please. H^^

Glenn,

2:50 and I just walked Redington. Haven't done this in a while. He's learning.

I'm still trying to sell the Mig-3. I have no place to put what I have now, and I'm still building.

If I decide to keep the thing, I'll remove the engine and mount it on my Magician for the brake in.

Nice to see Redington getting along with Indy. Indy's learning.

Glenn. Hey! Hey! thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #1221 on: July 23, 2016, 08:34:33 AM »
Simply incredible. Where did you get the polished muffler? Do it yourself?
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1222 on: July 23, 2016, 11:06:55 AM »
Simply incredible. Where did you get the polished muffler? Do it yourself?

Perry,

The muffler is the work of Scott Riese. I have a few of his great looking mufflers.

In fact, that reminds me, I need a few more.  ;D

I'm sure Scott won't mind me putting his e-mall address in a Post.

riese5080@comcast.net

Thanks for the reply, the Thread hasn't had life lately, but the model is finished.

BTW. I will brake in the engine and fly the Mig-3.

Almost sold it, kinda glad I didn't, however.  LL~

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here