News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:28:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: sterling skyshark opinions needed  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Ken Keller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
sterling skyshark opinions needed
« on: August 15, 2016, 11:02:11 AM »
I started cleaning workshop today and came across skyshark kit that I had forgotten all about . I know it isn't legal for profile or sportsman because of wing area. Out of curiosity I took fuse blank ( no cutouts for wing or motor mts removed ) and the ply section that the doublers are in and weighed them. 6.9 oz on my postal scale. I then took some 3/8 balsa and cut out a fuse blank and cut a 1/32 ply section same size as one in kit and weighed them, 1.5 oz. !! In just 2 pcs.,I can save 5.4oz. Didn't weigh any more of the kit balsa , because I'd never get it all back in the box. My question is ; If I use kit as templates and use as light as possible balsa, could skyshark be a viable .15 carrier plane ? As for motors I have a couple fox .15 coffin backs , a nib mag xls .15, a couple fp .15's that haven't been converted to c/l yet and a few more 15's . thanks in advance Ken

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: sterling skyshark opinions needed
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:21:46 AM »
The Skyshark has been used as a .15. Lighter is always good. You will have to be careful about the CG. The design was made for heavier engines than a .15. I think it would be fun.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 03:24:14 PM »
I'm flying one in 15 carrier.  I changed from the wing mounted gear to a standard fuse mount to save the weight of the plywood gear mount in the wing and to make it simpler to repair.  I actually had to ad tail weight for low speed.  It flies better than I can.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 05:36:02 PM »
The Skyshark was a totally useless product for any past or present carrier event. 
It simply didn't come close to fitting any AMA event or any local event that was ever devised. 
Sure you could put a 15 on it and enter a contest. 
Let us know how it works.
Carrier contests are won by MO-1's and A FEW other designs for a reason.
Paul Smith

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »
     Smart move Russell, the wing mounted gear on a carrier plane is asking for trouble. Their are flyer's around that fly carrier planes with wing mounted gear that don't have trouble with them and they all are well seasoned pilots who never crash a plane on the deck or anywhere else for that matter. I think I saw your Skyshark at the NWR and thought it looked like it would make a good carrier plane.
Eric

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 06:32:08 PM »
In defense of the Sterling Skyshark (a bit off topic):

1) I flew a Skyshark powered by an ST G21-40 at Olathe in 1968, placing 3rd in Sr Class 1. Maybe it wasn't a record breaking performance but I had a great time and brought home a NATS award. It's an excellent flying airplane.

2) The particular design for the landing gear is bullet proof. The design manages a wing mounted gear that transfers all of the landing loads into the fuselage. It works.
"Clockwise Forever..."

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 07:42:24 PM »
     Well I would have to see that Bob. I'm thinking of building an F7F and am in a quandary about mounting the gear in each engine location out on the wing because of the added weight to strengthen the wing. I'm thinking of mounting the main gear in the fuselage and the wheels would end up out very near where the engines are anyway problem solved. May not look so good to the purist but you would be hard prest to see it unless you were looking for it. Could you post a picture of how the gear is mounted to the fuselage but goes out inside the wing of the Skyshark, I would sure like to see how it is done.
Eric

Offline Ken Keller

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
Paul , appreciate the honesty and your opinion , I know the mo-1 , sniper, and a few others are the winning combinations. However , my personal preference is that a carrier plane should look like an actual plane not like a stick with a wing mounted to it. I really admire those who are brave enough to build and fly carrier based bi-planes . The most impressive plane I've ever seen fly was when Bob Reeves flew his jet at Brodak's , the craftsmanship and work that went into that plane is way beyond my ability
 Eric , if it would help your build , I could have the plan copied and send it to you.
I recently got my cd from Tom Wilks and there are a couple possibilities on it also.
Right now it has been too hot and humid to build anything in my shop , so I've been cleaning it up and waiting for cooler weather. I'm just trying to figure out what .15 plane or planes to build and which class profile to build. Like the idea of profile but leery of all the controls needed , so I'm leaning toward sportsman class ( ease of construction )

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 07:37:36 AM »
The XA2D-1 Skyshark had the appearance of a somewhat narrow LG tread. The Sterling kit design managed a reasonable facsimile of that look. The tongue on the LG wire form was solidly trapped in the fuselage. The plywood plate W along with center ribs W1 and W1A carried all of the loads into the fuselage. Although, as Russell pointed out, there is a weight penalty. For something like the F7F this solution may not work as well.

Hope this helps...

The Skyshark really is a good model. At Olathe, after completing my slow flight, I hung the model over the deck briefly before going on and finishing the flight. The Navy judges didn't ding me for stopping. No slider, no funny balancing, no nothing. It really handled well.

The kit was a casualty of politics...
"Clockwise Forever..."

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 10:34:54 AM »
     I see your point Bob, that is quite a center section. It helps a little that the gear is a little narrow but on the whole its a pretty clever setup. The F7F has a very wide stance on it main gear and then it has a mid to high wing location that makes a lot of leverage problems. I'm trying to put together an electric AMA profile twin and they are always a problem but its just for fun (I keep telling myself) and don't expect it to be competitive.
     Ken, thank you for the offer but you don't need to send me any plans, Bob pictures tell me all that I need to know. I'm kind of the opposite from you (and a lot of other carrier flyer's) in that with me its flying performance first and looks second.
Eric

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 05:22:01 AM »
I have no opinion but it was a nice debate.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here