News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:11:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Skyray rehab  (Read 2080 times)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Skyray rehab
« on: May 19, 2017, 08:58:13 AM »
I started flying carrier in 1990. My second plane, built in 1991 was a Sig Skyray 35. For 25 years, it flew with a McCoy .35 series 21 motor. Definitely a Sportsman plane. I have had a lot of fun with this plane. Although set up for carrier it is fully stuntable. This last winter I decided to convert most of my glow planes to electric and here is the result for my old buddy. I replaced the glow motor with a 3025-1500 motor. The big gob of stuff on the inboard fuselage is a 70amp ESC with heat sink. The battery goes on the outboard side. I have been flying it with a 3 cell 2700mah battery, but haven’t run out a full carrier pattern yet to see what capacity I’ll need. It still needs some trimming for the new setup. One change is rotation. With the electric I am running a reverse APC 9x6 EP. RPM on the ground is about 14K. Maybe not pretty, but it flies pretty good for a sport stunt plane.    

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
Re: Skyray rehab
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »
     Nice looking plane John. I like seeing re-furbished planes, to me they look comfortable or something like that. You started flying carrier around the same time I did. Thank goodness I didn't start with a Skyray or I might not have ever continued flying carrier. I did build one (Skyray) around 2000 and I never was able to get it to fly like I wanted it to so gave up and shoved it off on Burt B.. He didn't like the way it flew either but kept working with it until it flew the way he wanted it to. I actually bought another kit 5 months age and was going to build it for electric, so far have not touched it?
Eric

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Skyray rehab
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 01:33:25 PM »
Eric
I know what you mean. My first plane was a MO-1, thank goodness. That Skyray has done some interesting stuff, like flat spins, not intentionally of course. It is fun to fly upside down  with the hook up or is that down? You know what I mean.
John

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here