News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:17:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: North West Regional 2016  (Read 2173 times)

Offline eric david conley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
North West Regional 2016
« on: June 02, 2016, 07:06:19 PM »
     It seems that the west coast contest never get written up/reported on/or pictures posted, so this year I took some pictures(all static) and will try to say a words about the contest. First it was for the most part sunny and warm with good air each day up until early afternoon (1 to 2P) all 3 days that the deck was up. First year that there was no rain, not a drop, mind you this is Oregon. The deck is made of aluminum sheet glued to some type of railing and is the heavyest most unforgiving but SOLID deck I have ever flown off. Burt brought his 12 by 12 easy up and computer with a scoring program and there was ample seating so if you weren't flying, assisting, or timing you could rest for a few minutes. I think, except for Burt and I the other fliers are entering other events so there was never a line to get in so you could fly. Some of the fliers would come over to fly in the afternoon after the air was starting to move around some and this figures in to some of the scores. I'll probably use 3 pages to down load the pictures and add commits so bare with me.
Eric

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: North West Regional 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 08:49:38 PM »
The first photos with the yellow airplane are me and Pat Chewning getting ready for his first ever carrier flight.  He had never flown my airplane either, so he did very well.  He did the high and low speed but missed the landing but didn't crash.  All in all, a fine job.  Thanks for doing this, Eric.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 09:14:57 PM »
     Hi Russell, I watched that flight and your right he flew it quite well, I think that is a Joe Just Wildcat and like the other one's I've watched it is a nice flying carrier plane. All these northern carrier fliers would have to do is practice a little and they would all be in the running. They all seem to be very seasoned pilots just not in carrier flying. Another really good plane in Mike's dark blue plane that is pictured in the first post. It was one of the fastest NWS40s at the contest and could have flown much slower than it did at this event. My silver and black 109T is there along with my e-15, both of which got first places and neither one was suppose to be counted in the contest results, the e-15 doesn't even qualify to fly in a NWR contest? Burt's .15 plane in the last frame along with a Nostalgia CL-1 plane. These NWR people sure put on nice contests.
Eric

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 07:45:32 AM »
Eric, thanks for the very nice NWR report.  Maybe someday I will once again be able to attend that meet.  Also, does my old heart good to see that one or more of my kits is still active in he Sport.
Joe 
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 10:31:43 AM »
     This report wouldn't be complete without a word about the 2 pictures of Mike Hazel's plane (previous post). Mike's plane looks like it been run hard and put away wet a few times which is probably true as this was it 40th anniversary in carrier. Again a good plane being flown by an inexperienced flier, OOPs that cant be right, well maybe he was just tired or worn out by flying several speed events and then a couple of racing events any way by the score it looks like he may have missed the landing. The next picture down is Jim Schneider's 2 MO-1s very ably flown by Jim who is a regular at this contest. The next picture I believe is Bob Parker sitting next to his plane carefully planning his next flight. Next is one of the very beautiful .15 Avengers that flew in the .15 event, I think this one is Walter Hick's plane. Beautifully built and finished but no match for the dive on the deck to get a hook up, at least 2 of these planes lost their gear while trying to land.
     OH, I almost forgot to tell everyone that you can see the scores plus all of the contest results plus more pictures at           flyinglines.org        . Your access is located below the picture of the combat planes on the first page.
Eric

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 05:14:09 PM »
     Why do I post about the pictures in the previous post, because while posting I don't know what pictures I've added until I see the post? What ever. First picture is the nerve center with Mike Potter Commander and Chief gathering scores and Johnny Lickley chief timer and commander of the pull tests. See all those cars in the back ground, they belong to the combat fliers of which there are many and they are flying "all the time" and its not the noise but the sudden"bap" and then silence that kind of gets your attention. Next is Bob Parker and Burt Brokaw getting the nostalgia "Trager" ready to fly, this plane could easily fly in both nostalgia and AMA Profile and be competitive. Next is Russell Shaffer getting his very pretty North West Sport 40 ready to go while Walter Hicks waits to launch the plane. The next three pictures are of Bob Parker modeling the next big seller in the hat world, Bob was also known as "wind sock" for that day. The story goes that when he got to the contest he had forgot his hat and when he went to buy one they wanted $22 for it. Now seeing the obvious I think I would have parted with the $22 but then again, this whole new fad would never have come about. So everyone had a good time, thanks to the NWR that put the contest on and Mike Potter for being ED.
Eric

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 11:30:06 AM »
Thanks for a great report of the carrier doings.  Don't tell Bob P. that I think the new cap helps.   I have in the past after posting pictures went back and edited/made comments on them.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here