News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:56:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: need advice on which bellcranks to use  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Ken Keller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
need advice on which bellcranks to use
« on: July 10, 2016, 11:01:12 AM »
Gentleman I need advice . Starting to collect parts and pcs for 2 carrier planes for Brodak's next yr. 1st is a .15 with low wing , want bellcrank mounted to fuse  above inboard wing ( I think that bellcrank is bb376 upright short span ). 2nd plane is guardian from Brodak . Right now all that I'm sure about is that bellcrank will be mounted outside of wing- so any suggestions are more than welcome. I just don't want to order wrong ones and have to return them. Also if it matters , both planes will be set up to pull trigger for high speed and want hook to release on full up. Thanks in advance Ken.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: need advice on which bellcranks to use
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 03:52:17 PM »
Gentleman I need advice . Starting to collect parts and pcs for 2 carrier planes for Brodak's next yr. 1st is a .15 with low wing , want bellcrank mounted to fuse  above inboard wing ( I think that bellcrank is bb376 upright short span ). 2nd plane is guardian from Brodak . Right now all that I'm sure about is that bellcrank will be mounted outside of wing- so any suggestions are more than welcome. I just don't want to order wrong ones and have to return them. Also if it matters , both planes will be set up to pull trigger for high speed and want hook to release on full up. Thanks in advance Ken.

Ken, great for you to try carrier. BB 376 is good choice for low wing .15 Carrier. I would suggest BB 378 which is inverted version of the BB 376 for you to use on the Brodak Guardian. More room underneath and cleaner. Better for controls to be exposed on both of your projects. Dropping the hook on up is good and a lot safer. There are all kinds of ideas on the hook drop mechanism. High speed on the handle is usually set up for trigger full back. Suggest  you search this carrier forum for information.   Lots of info here. Also the Brodak Guardian has some popular mods that may be useful one of which is to short the span one bay on each side. The kit is really somewhat of a stunter and you need to reduce the wing area.

If I can be of some help let me know. If you bump into any information I have previously offered on this forum and have questions please do ask.
Thanks
Wayne

Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »
Ken
The attached shows how I typically mount the bellcrank
Here are some things to consider;
1. the throw of the bellcrank is greater than the throw of the typical carb. I use a horn to adjust for the difference . It is only one side but you can see how it works in photo two
2. Adjusting leadout lengths can be difficult.  I use a simple jig. All differences in length is in the leadouts, that way my flying lines are all the same length.

john

Offline Ken Keller

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 07:04:26 AM »
John and Wayne , thanks for quick replies ,really appreciate it ! Will order bellcranks today or tomorrow . The pictures are very helpful and bring up another question . I have some  1/16th and 1/8th" alum. flat stock 2" wide that I'll use for bellcrank mount. 1/8th" seems overkill and am leaning toward the 1/16th". Which would be the better choice ?                 

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »
John and Wayne , thanks for quick replies ,really appreciate it ! Will order bellcranks today or tomorrow . The pictures are very helpful and bring up another question . I have some  1/16th and 1/8th" alum. flat stock 2" wide that I'll use for bellcrank mount. 1/8th" seems overkill and am leaning toward the 1/16th". Which would be the better choice ?                 

Ken, I have used 1/16 on several occasions. Picture I am attaching shows set up on my .15 Guardian. Also I use Bill Bischoffs Idea for attaching lines to the B/C.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 09:51:58 AM »
..... 1/8th" seems overkill and am leaning toward the 1/16th". Which would be the better choice ?                 

When in doubt, overkill is better than under kill.   y1
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 10:47:37 AM »
Don't overlook a $20 RC car radio from Hobby King and a two-wire bellcrank.  If you're interested.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 01:26:23 PM »
Ken
I have always used 1/16 with no problem.
John

Offline Ken Keller

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 09:32:29 AM »
Tim, thanks for r/c suggestion , but r/c equipment must be kept as far away from me as possible . It really tends to make me do more stupid things than I already do!!!

Offline Ken Keller

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:47:23 AM »
Thanks to all that have replied . one last question on bellcrank. Looking through my wing parts bin I found a Brodak  3-line bellcrank new in package . All package says is c23 inverted long span. Can it be used on Guardian under inboard wing or should I just order a bb378 as suggested and move on ?  Don't know where or when I got it but price says $9.99 so its been laying around a long while !!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 09:56:20 AM »
Tim, thanks for r/c suggestion , but r/c equipment must be kept as far away from me as possible . It really tends to make me do more stupid things than I already do!!!

:)
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »
Thanks to all that have replied . one last question on bellcrank. Looking through my wing parts bin I found a Brodak  3-line bellcrank new in package . All package says is c23 inverted long span. Can it be used on Guardian under inboard wing or should I just order a bb378 as suggested and move on ?  Don't know where or when I got it but price says $9.99 so its been laying around a long while !!

It's the inverted version with larger bell crank 3 1/2 inches which will give you more elevator movement. It can be used. I personally like the short movement. You could cut it down to the same size as the upright. Your choice. Save some money.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Ken Keller

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »
Wayne that's what I needed to know , thanks. Going to start ordering parts and pcs. Won't start build until late Aug., unless honey do list gets lost!!! A least by then I'll have everything I need for a couple carrier planes.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 12:58:24 PM »
Wayne that's what I needed to know , thanks. Going to start ordering parts and pcs. Won't start build until late Aug., unless honey do list gets lost!!! A least by then I'll have everything I need for a couple carrier planes.

Ken, I sent you an e-mail.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here