News:

• April 23, 2024, 04:20:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mid Iowa Control Liners (Polk City, Iowa) contest  (Read 5123 times)

Offline Mike Anderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mid Iowa Control Liners (Polk City, Iowa) contest
« on: March 01, 2016, 10:11:40 PM »
I have posted a note in the "Events" section.  Flyer is attached there.

We will NOT be having a separate Carrier contest - Carrier will be Sunday, as it used to be.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: Mid Iowa Control Liners (Polk City, Iowa) contest
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 10:18:50 AM »
Here are the Carrier results -

PL.    .15 Profile                  High Sp. Pts    Low Sp. Pts        Landing        Bonus        Total
 1    Mike Anderson - electric           70.00                  56.96                100              ---      227.0
 2    Paul Kegel - glow                     56.41                  27.94                 100              ---     184.3
 3    Art Johnson - glow                   50.73                  16.64                100              ---           167.4

Profile                           High Sp. Pts    Low Sp. Pts     Landing          Bonus     Total
 1  Paul Kegel     (glow) Guardian     84.61               34.78                100             10           229.4
 2  Mike Anderson (elec)Spearfish     78.31               85.49                  ---             10           173.8
 3  Pete Mazur   (glow) Guardian     79.32                  ---                  ---             10             89.3
 4  Curt Netcott (elec) MO-1                                                                                                       Att

CL1-2                                   High Sp. Pts           Low Sp. Pts      Landing    Bonus    Total
 1 Pete Mazur (CL1-elec) MO-1       106.91              106.31                100            100          413.2
Also flew-
Pete Mazur (CL2-elec) MO-1                117.33         111.11                100            100          428.4
Pete Mazur (CL1-glow)MO-1               100.07               97.62                100            100        397.7

NCS Sport                          High Sp. Pts         Low Sp. Pts         Landing   Bonus    Total
 1 Art Johnson     Skyray-Glow                61.87               24.13              95              ---     181.0
 2 Pete Mazur   Skyray-Elec                75.47                  ---                   ---              ---            75.5

Note that all events except .15 Profile were flown as percent of 2015 Top 20 Best, so Pete had 3 flights in
  Class 1-2 - and his Electric Cl1 was his best percentage score.  All results have been submitted to Burt
  for inclusion in the 2016 Top 20.

edit: Well, I tried to format this so that everthing lined up correctly, but decided that it came out close enough
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
     Thanks Mike for posting the scores. I've been waiting to see Pete fly his electrics, knowing that the last couple of years I've always had an idea how he was coming along before the NATs now I think maybe I don't want to know. He has sure got the speed nailed down well, hope to see everyone at the NATs this year.
Eric

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 08:09:51 PM »
His Cl-2 at 15.4 seconds for high speed is flat out jaw-dropping awesome.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 12:47:16 AM »
I am curious about Pete's set up. That thing has got to be turning close to 25000 rpm to get that speed.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »
I don't know the particulars of either his Cl1 or Cl2 - I know they are lower Kv and higher cell count than most of us use. Perhaps he will chime in here.  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:25:01 AM by Mike Anderson »
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 09:40:56 AM »
     I "think" your right Mike, more cells. I've limited my planes to 4 cells ever sense I started playing with electrics. My reason is based on physical volume to fit the batteries inside the planes I build. Pete used ARF planes in CL-1&2 when he first flew electrics and they had more room for different battery packs and he did a lot of testing. In my CL-1&2 planes I have always placed the batteries in the plane with the cells on their side where I "think" Pete has stacked his cells so he can use more of them?  I don't know but it appears to me that he is having the same problem that I'm experiencing, balancing where to use the power available in HS and LS to arrive at a good overall score. I hope he chimes in here and can shed some light on his planes.
  PS; Those damn batteries are heavier than h--l.
Eric

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 05:13:53 PM »
Hey Eric, there all all kinds of options, to da--- many if you ask me.
John

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 05:24:11 PM »
I just noticed an error in my score computation above - I credited Pete with 75.5 points in Skyray.  Skyray, of course, has a 75 MPH speed limit, so I need to email a correction to the Top 20 tabulator.   ~^ LL~
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 01:16:26 PM »
My electric Class 2 is so fast and heavy that it is a real challenge for me to fly it. In the old days I would fly that speed but with an airplane that weighed half as much. This is just too much for me at my advanced age and decrepitude.  So I am considering putting in a smaller motor and battery. The heavy airplane (4 lb 7 oz) seems to be just too heavy for a good low speed.
I do have a large (and heavy) motor which is the reason it goes so fast. I am hoping a lighter setup will go slower but achieve a better score due to a better low speed. I have a high cell count (10s) but that is not to get higher speed. The power our of a system does not depend on the voltage selected as long as the KV is set for the same rpm with whatever battery is being used. This is because the windings for low KV won't take the high current of a higher KV motor. It all gas to do with the fact that the internal cross section for copper wire in the same motor sizable is the same. Winding more turns of fine wire or fewer turns of heavier wire will end up with the same power capabilities. The reason to go to higher cell count, higher voltage and proportionally lower current is to save weight and money for the electronic speed controller. High current controllers are bigger, heavier, and require heavier wires than low current ESCs. So it is a budget and weight consideration, not a motor power consideration, that might cause one to select a high cell count.
Pete

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 04:29:32 PM »
Pete, if what you say about your plane weight wise, how could you get an official score.   Remember when an individual would bring his plane to processing and have weights to add until he got to 3 pounds and 15 ounces.   In fact he packed up one year because he changed from a wood prop to a composite prop which was heavier.   I just came from the rules section where it say max weight is 4 pounds and max pull is 100 pounds(25 times weight).  Yes I guess I'm nit picking.  And yes I will have to go read rules again if I do try to fly again. S?P

Well it looks like I need some crow to eat.  Went back to AMA site and read further down.  I see electric electric rules make you perfectly legal with 20G pull test.  Guess this old man jumped the gun again.  Please except my apologies.   DOC Holliday H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline BillCalkins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 05:56:48 PM »
As Pete's pit man, it is very hard to get off the deck before he is back there.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 08:10:29 PM »
Bill,

I think you have a lot of motivation to get off the deck with over 4 lbs of airplane at 115+ mph coming around!  I can't imagine the amount of pull on the handle and how Pete can keep it under control.

Bob Frogner

Offline BillCalkins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 04:33:22 PM »
Let's put it this way, he is not standing straight up with his hand on his chest. He is bent about 45 degrees at the waist, arms straight out and running for his life and ours.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 10:41:25 PM »
Bill
Your a brave man, 2+ sec lap, I couldn't move very far away. Pete must be lifting weights.
John

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here