News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:23:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K&B for nostalgia profile?  (Read 2832 times)

Jim Roselle

• Trade Count: (0)
K&B for nostalgia profile?
« on: November 08, 2016, 04:19:34 PM »
Hey all,

I started working on a brodak/JRoberts skyraider today. I'm thinking of using this K&B .35 for power? Thoughts? Anyone have experience with this engine?

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: K&B for nostalgia profile?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 12:27:45 PM »
I have used the standard CL version. Plenty of power, but I am not sure it would give a fast high speed. I used one for slow combat years ago, 1970's , for slow combat with a flight streak. It would be legal for bonus points.

Offline Ray Richardson

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 09:20:59 AM »
I used this engine for slow combat in the late 70's and early 80's. It had plenty of power and would pull my planes in the 80 to 85 mph range.  That was on 25% nitro and a 9x6 Rev-up if i remember correctly. You could also bolt a 40 ball bearing front on if you can find one. I don.t know if there is a supplier for rings now. I found it to be easy starting and a reliable engine. 

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 12:01:57 PM »
That engine if broken in right will get you going unless you plan on being national champ or beating everyone at local meets.  I have been bench running a Greenhead K&B with K&B carb with thoughts of a nostalgia design.  The Meriwethers used it back when carrier was getting started here in KC area.  They also used then in scale planes.  So far on the bench the engine shows a lot of promise.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here