News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:14:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Motors for e-Carrier  (Read 2882 times)

Offline eric david conley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Electric Motors for e-Carrier
« on: July 28, 2016, 10:12:58 AM »
     I never thought this day would come. I cant find electric motors anymore that will make good carrier plane motors. I've been using Scorpion and Hyperion High Speed motors with pretty good results other than the trouble with bearings that don't seem to last very long. I've been searching the web for other motors that fit how I use the motors and the motors that have a KV of 1400, continuous 80 amp load, burst to 100 amp, all with a 4 cell battery seem to be gone now. These motors were used for helicopters and I'm guessing that with the burst of drone development the market looks like the helicopter is no longer the cash queen it was 5 years ago.
     I've watched the IC engines disappear over the last 7-10 years and now it looks like the e-motor stuff might be just as flaky. SO, does anyone out there have information on some electric motors that I may have missed in my search?
Eric

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Electric Motors for e-Carrier
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 10:42:36 AM »
Eric,
look inot EF-1 Pylon racing.
Eflight makes a .25 sized motor thats 1350 Kv I beleive ( there are two =versions of the 25 motor, you want the EF1 approved version)
Os also makes a motor for this class as does Rimfire I think
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »
Eric
Take a look at the Exceed RC Rocket 3520-1300kv , at hobbypartz.com. They say it can handle 150A for 60s. I have not pushed mine beyond the 70-80 range because the planes I have would be to heavy with a larger battery. I currently use it for profile. I use a 3025-1450 for 15 and it has held together for two years at about 70A. The plane does close to 70mph, 67 at the NATS.
They might work for you.
John

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 04:04:49 PM »
Eric,
look inot EF-1 Pylon racing.
Eflight makes a .25 sized motor thats 1350 Kv I beleive ( there are two =versions of the 25 motor, you want the EF1 approved version)
Os also makes a motor for this class as does Rimfire I think

Never looked at the amp draw on the motor, but they pull over 100 mph with an 8x8 apc prop for about 1:30 on 4S if that helps
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »
     Mark, I looked at the EF1 motors I think there were 7 or 8 that qualified and they were all 1250KV except one and it was 1300. They are smaller motors than the ones that we run in AMA Profile Carrier but I think they might be OK in the 15 class. EF-I is quite interesting when it come to motors, how they qualify for the class, and how you cant do anything to them even if its to repair a bent shaft or a noisy bearing which sounds good to me as long as they enforce the rule. And like everything else in Chines products I doubt that half of those motors are available now (one production run and its history). Anyway I'm going to keep these motors in mind if I build another 15 class plane.

John, the Exceed RC Rocket 3520/1300kv is limited to 3 cells? When I read the spec's on this motor I wonder if the Chines Gentleman that wrote them knew anything about them, the figures are all over the place (to me anyway), I wonder what happens when you run a motor that says 3 cells with a 4 cell battery at 19K with a 10/7 prop. Maybe the same thing that's happening to the motors that I now use (be pre pared for a short life).

Non of the motors do very well in the CL-1&2 MO-1s because of the very restricked cowling around the motor (BAD news). Now if we could just find an old picture of a MO-1 with a radial engine (not). I also noted that the OS motors are "V"ery expensive and they don't have much to choose from. If the IC stuff all had the 20G pull test I would be tempted to back the them.
Eric

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 02:59:44 PM »

John, the Exceed RC Rocket 3520/1300kv is limited to 3 cells? When I read the spec's on this motor I wonder if the Chines Gentleman that wrote them knew anything about them, the figures are all over the place (to me anyway), I wonder what happens when you run a motor that says 3 cells with a 4 cell battery at 19K with a 10/7 prop. Maybe the same thing that's happening to the motors that I now use (be pre pared for a short life).

The 3520-1300 on 4 cells with a 10-8 APC pusher turned a little over 18000 RPM, at about 90 AMPs initial current.  The 3520-1050 in a profile turned an 11-8 at about 65 amps - didn't measure (or don't remember) the RPM but speed on a Skyray (fixed leadouts/ way back) was near 80 mph.  The motor is a current driven device - it doesn't really care about the applied voltage, unless you get up in the range where it could cause arcing internally.  I would be very suspicious of this motors ability to handle 150 amps "continuous" or even "burst".  But I would bet that 120 amps for 20 seconds would be OK.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 04:57:32 PM »
     So, I think I hear you saying that even though it says 3 cells you used 4 cells and nothing happened yet, sounds good to me. Do you know what the diameter of the can is?
Eric

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 07:14:37 PM »
Eric
I use 4 cells routinely, no problems yet and I have been using these motors for several years. I think the harder we use any of the Chinese motors we probably have limited life, but of the cheaper motors I have had the best luck with these.
John
PS Mike is sort of right on voltage, but there are some motors which do not like more cells than they are rated for. The Turnigy red/ black series is one. Going above their recommended voltage does not improve perform. I don't know why, I suspect the winding wire diameter, and/ or type of winding.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 09:48:55 PM »
     So, I think I hear you saying that even though it says 3 cells you used 4 cells and nothing happened yet, sounds good to me. Do you know what the diameter of the can is?

The OD of the can is given as 43.5 mm.  And the 3520-1300 shows a max voltage of 14.8v.  The 3520-1050 shows a max voltage of 18.5v.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here