News:

• March 29, 2024, 07:13:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak scores  (Read 3514 times)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak scores
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:53:39 AM »
here are the scores also posted in the contest area
I have replaced the old score sheet with a corrected one. The original score sheet was correct, but my summary had errors-so much for old age

OK new day new score sheet. Hope it iis OK now
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:30:45 AM by john vlna »

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: Brodak scores
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
John,

Thanks...
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:28:06 AM »
Thanks for posting John.  I so wanted to be there to try and make up for my fiasco of a couple of years ago.  Looks like a good turn out.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »
Doc, hope you make it back sometime
Yes, it was a good turnout. 39 registered 33 flew. There are alway some conflicts with other events or other reasons for scratching.

For those that flew 15 and sportsman, be aware what I posted is for the NCS top 20. The 10 bonus points for a Brodak kit was removed. Therefore if you had a Brodak kit your score was ten points higher.

Offline Ken Keller

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 08:48:42 AM »
John , I just want to say thanks to you  and all the others that gave me and Chris advice and help. We had a great time and can't wait till next year. On the way home we stopped at the shop and bought 2 new handles (Joes worked but seems the right handles will be easier to use.) Most will be glad to know that Joe's old plane is officially retired. Hopefully the advice and experience we took home from Brodaks will make us better fliers !! Again , thanks to all that helped us , we had a ball Ken

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 09:41:52 AM »
John , I just want to say thanks to you  and all the others that gave me and Chris advice and help. We had a great time and can't wait till next year. On the way home we stopped at the shop and bought 2 new handles (Joes worked but seems the right handles will be easier to use.) Most will be glad to know that Joe's old plane is officially retired. Hopefully the advice and experience we took home from Brodaks will make us better fliers !! Again , thanks to all that helped us , we had a ball Ken
For those of you that might care, here is a picture of the plane Ken mentioned.
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 05:11:15 PM »
Ken
If you're looking at a new plane try the Brodak Guardian, very competitive and in sportsman you will get an extra 10 points for a Brodak kit ( at Brodaks only)
john

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 07:00:05 PM »
John-
You have  PM.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 09:21:40 AM »
please note I posted a corrected score sheet.

Offline Ken Keller

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 07:06:23 AM »
John, Funny that you mentioned guardian kit. Back in 08 or 9 went to brodaks for 1st time. Started to watch carrier event and never left my seat. Taking yours and I believe John Saunders advice bought the kit. I felt like a kid at Christmas until I got home and opened it. Opened plans, 2 fuel tanks?,my eyes crossed and started to hurt , internal line slider?, good lord I thought , what the h**l is that ?,  my head was hurting and I started to get dizzy, then I looked at the bellcrank and how everything connected to it , my brain had a meltdown !!! This can't work because nothing is spring-loaded , I remember thinking. Closed up the plans , put kit on shelf , and drowned myself in scotch. Now , thanks to patient people like you , Joe Just , Tim Lanore and many others I'm ready to tackle that kit. All controls will be external ,and only one tank. If the honey-do list isn't too long and nothing else gets in the way, hopefully it will be ready for next June. Thanks to all the carrier flyers that I have questioned over the years.. Ken Keller

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 08:40:06 AM »
Ken
Good luck, there is a learning curve but it is not to bad. If you have question just holler, you'll get lots of help. I'll see if George has some pictures of his setup, his is a great flying Guardian.
John

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 05:02:14 PM »
Ken.

I built this kit as my first carrier airplane. It is pretty straight forward. At the time I got some very good advice from Bill Calkins, who designed the plane. He recommended a couple of things. Take one rib out of the wings on each sideat the tip, you don't really need the full wingspan. Also take 3/8" off the height of the fuselage to make it a bit slimmer down it's length.

I would recommend putting the bellcrank outside. It's much easier to mount and then adjust and the slider is easier too.  You don't have to use the two tank (uni-flow) system either. I did at first but since have used one tank on the outboard side. Mount it such that you can put shims between the tank and the fuse. This gives some control over the fuel flow at take off. It will tend to go lean after initial take off and you might need to shim it out slightly (1/8" to 1/4") to overcome this.

The plane flies well and has been a used by beginners and experienced modelers. If you have any further questions feel free to drop me a question or two. I'm not the worlds expert but I have had experience with this exact model.

Good luck.
Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Ken Keller

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 06:15:35 AM »
Bfrog , thanks for the encouragement . Have a couple of planes (for fun and maybe stunt ) that need completing then on to carrier. Will most likely drive people nuts with questions on guardian.  ken.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here