News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:05:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3-line throttle handle  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
3-line throttle handle
« on: January 31, 2016, 11:04:14 PM »
Don't remember where it was I saw an article and or plan for making a 3-line handle.  Anyone familiar with that ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: 3-line throttle handle
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:50:00 AM »
The J Roberts handle does a good job of properly equalizing the forces on the up, down, and gas pedal lines.   Take one apart and look at it.  That simple contraption will not give you the functionality and strength you need. 

Pay $60 for a Brodak handle or look for a J Roberts on Ebay.  Spend your time making what you need to make buy a good handle.
Paul Smith

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 05:16:26 PM »
The J Roberts handle does a good job of properly equalizing the forces on the up, down, and gas pedal lines.   Take one apart and look at it.  That simple contraption will not give you the functionality and strength you need. 

Pay $60 for a Brodak handle or look for a J Roberts on Ebay.  Spend your time making what you need to make buy a good handle.

I looked into this. Maybe Allan and i am looking for a three line for the same reason...
Any way, the one from brodak is $70 + $11.99 shipping. $82 is a lot of investment for one handle. I'm still gonna order it, but I'll need to wait a month to fund the toy budget. On top of this I'll need to order a three line bell crank. Also kinda pricey... But in relation to other hobbies, i suppose it could be worse

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:06:08 PM »
I looked into this. Maybe Allan and i am looking for a three line for the same reason...
Any way, the one from brodak is $70 + $11.99 shipping. $82 is a lot of investment for one handle. I'm still gonna order it, but I'll need to wait a month to fund the toy budget. On top of this I'll need to order a three line bell crank. Also kinda pricey... But in relation to other hobbies, i suppose it could be worse

Make sure that you check the bellcrank. I have had 2 of the newer ones come apart on me. Luckily neither reslulted in a crash.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 08:48:43 PM »
I agree that the bellcrank is the weak link.   I had one come apart on the first day of flying, and only 1.5 pound model with a .35.    You would probably be better off making a "stacked" bellcrank with stout construction.

Paul Smith

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:13:34 PM »
I have several handles I will part with at a much cheaper price that Brodak wants, less shipping too. Also have a selection of bellcranks too .Let me know the P/N of the one you are in need of.  Mike Potter   skyshark58@comcast.net
mike potter

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 09:00:25 AM »
With advent of 2.4 throttle control there will probably be a lot of J Roberts stuff on the market. 

Unless you have the mechanical stuff in hand, it's less expensive to go radio.

If you want to enter a one day contest with all classes of scale or carrier, you really need three or four J Roberts handles.  But only one transmitter if you go 2.4.
Paul Smith

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 06:11:00 AM »
I wouldn't be jumping on the 2.4 bandwagon based on the current FAA debacle? Just sayin.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »
Actually, the easiest thing to do is go ahead and register.  Takes 5 minutes, cost is minimal (was free when I did it).  Then you can ignore the yammering and hair pulling going on in the other threads.

" .. and when they come to confiscate my drone, they can pry it from my cold, dead hands (after they get the safety thong off).."   LL~ LL~ LL~ S?P
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 09:44:17 AM »
"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
Thomas Jefferson

The FAA can stick it

John Vlna

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 10:24:54 AM »
Do you need to register a gun that can shoot a lead shug 2 or 3 miles?

No way I'm going to register a harmless toy.

What's next?  Head tools and kitchen knives?
Paul Smith

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
back in the Mid-1990's when we were flying with electronic down the line controls one of our older club members said he loved his 3-line handle and about 3 years later he said would try the electronic controls for a scale model. He told me over and over that he was going to hate the electronic controls but he would try it.

So he built the model and we watched him test fly the model without any problems, he put the 2-line handle down walked up to us and only had one question..."how do I convert these models?" He was pointing to his other models with 3-line. By the next weekend all of his models were flying with the electronic controls.

2.4 Ghz is even easier, drop a receiver, battery and a servo in the model and you are good to go. Wireless system without the insulated flying lines. My 3-line handle is stored in a drawer and has not been used since 1991.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 10:38:16 AM »
Not saying registration makes any sense.  What makes no sense is AMA's waffling response or lack thereof and possible (probable) future reactions.  I don't want to get to the NATS with my Radio throttle, and have AMA say I have to be registered.  So I registered to avoid that scenario.  If they never make that decision, it has cost me nothing.  So for me, at least, the EASIEST thing was to register and forget it.

(I now return to ignoring any and all posts regarding drones, FAA and registration)
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 01:35:29 PM »
As I said before, AMA should just register the entire membership & be done with it.

Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here