News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wing warp  (Read 6268 times)

Offline Chris Belcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
wing warp
« on: November 29, 2016, 03:54:17 PM »
OK...don't know how I did it but I managed to build a pretty decent warp into a Legacy 40 wing ON A JIG! This is the Brodak kit on the Brodak jig where you build half at a time and join together. First half is the one with the warp. It's a good 3/16" wash at the tip. Leading edge looks and measures straight but the trialing edge...well...it's noticeable...and measurable. SO...I wonder if I should try to get a set of ribs and start over or is it possible to "remove" the trailing edge sheeting as I am pretty sure that's where the warp was induced. I remember pushing down pretty hard to get the sheeting to stick and must have pushed a curve into the wing. The outboard (second) half is nice and straight but the inboard...it's ugly. Any chance of steaming a built in warp out?...or using covering to try to pull it out. I kinda already know the answer to both of these would be a compromise. I really want to just punt and redo the inboard wing...just need the ribs.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: wing warp
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 03:59:33 PM »
Chris,

Do you build with CA?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:18:36 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 05:12:12 PM »
Yup

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 06:27:47 PM »
If it is not covered and all the sheeting is not on, you might do like I did with my B25 build.  Of course it wasn't built on a jig either.   I just twisted the wing until I heard it cracking.  Once it stayed where I wanted it to be straight I then hit all the joints with Elmer's Glue All.   Kept checking as I put the leading edge sheeting on.   Now waiting for clear coat and is still straight.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 12:23:31 AM »
Seems to me like you don't have anything to lose by getting after the current wing with some harsh treatment. Even a bare wing would respond to hot water on a towel. I'd give it a go.

Try clipping a lengthwise folded hand towel on each side of the TE and pour boiling water on them. Give it 10 minutes and start bending and blocking it into submission. You'll probably have to over-bend it to get it straight. Once it is straight, I'd give it a week or two in the free state to see if it stays put. At least it'd give you something to do while waiting for a new set of ribs (or complete wing kit) to arrive.

Alternatively, you might experiment with applying CA de-bonder onto the joints and see if that might work. If you can get some nitro methane, that's supposed to work as de-bonder. That, or bash the crap out of it with a LiPo battery.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 08:47:37 PM »
So I pulled the trailing edge sheeting off...no relief. Pulled the trailing edge off...no relief. The warp was built into the leading edge when I put on the sheeting. How does one go about getting a set of ribs for a Legacy 40? I'll just rebuild the inboard panel and join to the good outboard.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 10:44:47 AM »
Contact Brodak.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »
Doc---Advice  I was going to offer also
Brodak can probably provide a complete rib set
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 10:55:58 AM »
Found it:  Legacy 40 Wing Rib set,    SKU#CLB-85RS  .    $29.00 + shipping.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 06:31:56 PM »
THANK YOU SIR!!!

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 12:32:27 PM »
I have often found that a wing warp is assured whenever you have to force parts together, like spars onto wing rib slots, etc.  Kits are usually cut to exact fits, but sometimes you need to be careful about this.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 04:12:43 PM »
Yup.  If you're forcing it, you're building in a warp.  Sometimes you can peel the sheeting off and re-glue, or even just take the shear webs out and re-glue.  On the other hand, a re-do from scratch has the advantage that you can put the warped part on the floor and stomp on it until you feel better.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Re: wing warp
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 03:17:35 PM »
Yup.  If you're forcing it, you're building in a warp.  Sometimes you can peel the sheeting off and re-glue, or even just take the shear webs out and re-glue.  On the other hand, a re-do from scratch has the advantage that you can put the warped part on the floor and stomp on it until you feel better.
Lmao!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 09:43:52 AM »
Hope you haven't destroyed the wing yet.  I have planes that had warps I couldn't see or find.  One in particular was an ARF Flite Streak.  Had several people look at it and couldn't see or measure a warp.  It wasn't tip weight either.  The old Coke can cured the problem of the plane not flying level.  Even before the Coke can trim tab it never came in at me or got light on the lines.   Put you wing in a profile to fly for fun and use a trim tab to level the wing.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 01:15:58 PM »
A wing tab, or "wart", is not a reliable fix for a warp.  The tab and the warp "fight" each other, with strange things happening!  The very best solution is to remove the warp and have it done right.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 12:07:28 PM »
A wing tab, or "wart", is not a reliable fix for a warp.  The tab and the warp "fight" each other, with strange things happening!  The very best solution is to remove the warp and have it done right.

Yup.  Tabs are great if the alternative is to chuck the plane.  If you're still at the bare wing stage -- fix the warp!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 03:17:48 PM »
Ordered a rib set from Brodak...stomped the warp ;D

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 04:17:38 PM »
Ordered a rib set from Brodak...stomped the warp ;D

Go slow.  I have the big Legacy kit, and when I went to put in the spar I found that the spar notches and LE notches (or perhaps the wing jig holes) weren't all in alignment.  I ended up carving each notch individually to get the spar to slip in correctly.  Had I just thumped the thing together assuming that the kit was right I'd have had a horribly warped-up wing on my hands.

The full story starts here.

AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here