News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:33:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is this type of airfoil called?  (Read 3525 times)

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
What is this type of airfoil called?
« on: December 31, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »
There is an unlikely looking trick to create lift on an otherwise flat plank airfoil. I've seen it on 1/2A and Jr. planes. It's usually a strip of material that is attached along the LE span and is tall enough to affect air flow and on a small plane can give it some more lift, maneuverability, and possibly glide.

Here's a picture I drew to illustrate the end-view as if you are looking straight at the wingtip. Seems like the name is the initials of the person credited with making it popular.
Thanks,
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
Re: What is this type of airfoil called?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 02:05:15 PM »
seen it on park flyers, clever

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »
There is an unlikely looking trick to create lift on an otherwise flat plank airfoil. I've seen it on 1/2A and Jr. planes. It's usually a strip of material that is attached along the LE span and is tall enough to affect air flow and on a small plane can give it some more lift, maneuverability, and possibly glide.

Here's a picture I drew to illustrate the end-view as if you are looking straight at the wingtip. Seems like the name is the initials of the person credited with making it popular.
Thanks,
Rusty

Kline-Fogleman  KFm- Airfoil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kline%E2%80%93Fogleman_airfoil

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 04:52:22 PM »
Thanks, Brent, that's the cat's ass. Just what I wanted.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 05:58:07 PM »
In spite of Kline and Fogelman's successes with it on paper planes, it's never proven itself in practice.  It does make for a stronger wing, but it doesn't really add much to the performance.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 07:26:19 PM »
seen it on park flyers, clever
From what I've read the park flyers do it so they can use cheap, office max foam board.  Thin light foam is very non-stiff, so the multiple layers make it less likely to flap.  The molded planes almost all use small carbon fiber spars for the safe effect.

Even for park flyers almost any "real" airfoil works better than flat foam.  Dick Sarpolus and I did some experiments which showed that.  After that he switched 100% to an airfoiled foam wing.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 07:46:38 PM »
Thanks, guys, I'll pass your comments along to my buddy the builder and determined experimenter. If he makes a project of this, I'll report back with how it turns out for him. I already sent him the Wiki link and pictures.
Happy New Year to all of you! I hear the fireworks ramping up now.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 02:47:53 AM »
Theres a ancient book on Whyte , or Grahame white ?? aircraft , pre WW1 , on the Isle of Wight ?? Floatplanes and suchlike .

Part of its on Airfoils , Some Multi stepped on top , similar to the stepped one in the drawing . No luck on google pics on it .
Cant remember which library had it .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 12:45:54 PM »

Poor?   As noted, it's close to a variant on a Kline-Fogelman, but that might be a coincidence. To me, I would imagine that some tried to make the airplane with a flat plate, found it wasn't strong enough and got dinged too easily when you ran it into something, and added the top and bottom parts as a combination of spars and toughening up the LE. The fact that it looks like a crude symmetrical Kline-Fogelman doesn't mean they set out to do it that way.

Note also that these airfoils are generally not very good. These (and flat plates) work less poorly at model airplane Reynolds numbers where you are flying through "honey" vice full-scale where you are flying through "alcohol", but they aren't as good as real airfoils.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here