News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:21:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: weight box  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
weight box
« on: February 01, 2017, 05:05:17 PM »
looking for picture / instructions for installing a tip weight box
thanks
Fred Q

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: weight box
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 08:51:51 AM »
Fred,

This is all I have without digging my builds up, but I'm sure you will get other photos.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:31:27 AM »
Regarding the tip weight box lid, I now use magnets instead of threaded fasteners to attach it. 

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »
blank
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:31:26 AM by Motorman »

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 12:44:54 PM »
If you grind a point on the screw it will be easier to line up.

Good idea.  Thanks.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 12:48:42 PM »
Charles and Motorman have it covered.  Remember, there's no standard -- you just need something that'll hold weights so they won't rattle or fall off, and maybe that looks good.  Anything else is just personal expression.

I usually don't worry too much about the weight of the weight box, because I've never had to put ballast on the inboard wing.

Edit: Here's another way to do it, with the right sort of wingtip:

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 02:15:24 PM »
I always had better luck by building in a permanent weight of about 3/4 of the weight you will ultimately want to carry.  This makes the weight box cover retain only 1/4 oz or so, so it is much easier to make it stay put.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 09:47:14 PM »
I agree with all of the above. I wish I had photographed the making of the box itself, but from the first picture, you can see its construction. I just made its dimensions to fit 1/4"-oz pieces of lead fairly snugly. It is made of 1/8" or 3/32" plywood pieces, epoxied together. The tie-down bolt hole is centrally located by drilling at the intersection of the bottom- and top- piece diagonals. A 4-40 screw and blind nut plus washer are used. Then a piece of balsa is drilled to match the lid and sanded to the airfoil contour after installation in the wing. I use tape to separate the lid from any epoxy overflow when attaching the box to the last rib and spar. I do as Ty suggests to attain a surface for the silkspan (in my case) to adhere. These surrounding balsa pieces also center the lid, which sits atop the plywood box and has the same dimensions as the outer box itself. Although not required, I also afix to the inner lid a plywood piece that fits snugly inside the box sides. The weight just subtracts from the lead weight needed inside. After installation, I sand everything to the airfoil contour and in the case shown, include an extra stub rib to insure no sharp breaks to the airfoil contour. The lead weights themselves are centrally drilled and cushioned in place with a piece of foam rubber. I have experienced elongation of the holes in the weights from g-forces and a loose fit with the box sides. So far, nothing serious.

Edit: not pictured is a thin curved piece of balsa to maintain the airfoil in front of the box. The box doesn't reach the upper wing surface; so that is just your normal covering in that corresponding area.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »
I didn't know how to edit the pictures without having to start over, so here are two more, showing the final result from top and bottom.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here