News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:29:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question - Lead-Out Wires  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Question - Lead-Out Wires
« on: February 02, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
Hey, Guys -

I just changed my mind on bellcrank location after already cutting and attaching lead-out wires in my "Peacemaker" build. I decided to move the bellcrank to the outer center bay from the inner one (pictured). That made one (and therefore both) of the lead-outs a little too short. Unfortunately, I realized that I only have enough lead-out wire to replace one of the originals. I did that, but had to look around for more, unless I wait until February 7th, when I can get more without driving a hundred miles. I need .027" wire. Here's what I have"

1) A used .035" lead-out from a wrecked Tucker Special.
2) a piece of .027" wire with multiple bends.
3) a "new" in-original-package piece of 60-year old "Perfect" wire (pictured) that has spent most of it's life in a non-heated garage.

The question is which, if any of these would you choose to use, or would you take the delay and wait for a new roll on the 7th? I'm not confident at all that the old .035" wire will behave as .027 unused wire. Nothing in the wing , as shown, is attached, but as soon as the lead-outs are ready, I can align and glue all parts together. Thanks for your hints!

SK

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Question - Lead-Out Wires
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 04:35:19 PM »
If the "Perfect" passes visual inspection go with it.  It looks perfect (as it were) in the photograph -- if it looks just as good four inches from your eyeballs (assuming you can see that close) then I see no reason why it shouldn't do just fine.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »
Perfect looks good, but comes with only one eyelet.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:13:42 PM »
MBS Model Supply has .027 lead out wire in 25 foot rolls.    According to his on line catalog   #1027  .027 lead out cable 100 foot roll  $7.00   #1028 300 foot roll $17.00.

Really go on line and type in MBS Model Supply,  he may have more stuff you just can't do with out. LL~ LL~ H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 09:21:54 PM »
If no rust on the Perfect cable go for it. By now you must have it installed. :D

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 07:21:27 AM »
McMaster Carr will have it to you in two days.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-wire-rope/=166zjv7

Also note:  .027" is not set in stone.  A pair of .027's will lift a heavy man.  You can use .024" or .021" on smaller models. 
I only go one or two sizes more than the flying lines.
Paul Smith

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »
I would use the Perfect lead outs or go to Bass Pro and buy some nylon covered steel leader.  It comes in many weights and works just fine.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 08:50:22 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going down to the basement "shop" to start things with the "Perfect" wire in a couple hours. My only concern, having opened the pack, is that one strand is not shiny and creates that dark striped effect you can see in the picture. I think this wire should be "OK" for a small .15-powered model like this. If anyone thinks I'm wrong, please post. I'll check just before gluing the wing parts. As soon as the platform is attached, I won't feel like grinding and torquing. Ha!

Again, thanks much for the advice!

SK

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »
I know this my sound silly but "why worry about it"??  If you can hook up the pushrod, just leave it be and press on!!   ??? ???  ;) ;)

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 10:23:04 AM »
The outside ends won't clear the tip. 'heading to the basement now to replace the remaining short wire and CA some structure.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 11:09:46 AM »
I would use the Perfect lead outs or go to Bass Pro and buy some nylon covered steel leader.  It comes in many weights and works just fine.

It snags on metal leadout eyelets.  It cost Don McClave an airplane.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here