News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:03:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finishing Up My Sig Banshee Build, Have Questions  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Finishing Up My Sig Banshee Build, Have Questions
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:03:26 PM »
Hi there. So, I am getting closer to finishing up my first big bird build, my Sig Banshee. I am now at the point of having finishing questions regarding this. I plan on rattlecan paint on the fuselage, flaps, and tail surfaces (this will all be over a dope prep). Wing covering is yet to be determined whether it will be painted Doculam, or some kind of 'Kote'. Anyways, as of now, I have only the elevators held together with the joiner wire as the tail is slid in place from the rear. I will list my questions in no particular order, and if you could offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Can I dope the fuselage and all tail surfaces seperately then glue it all together just prior to painting, or is it best to glue up the tail surfaces first followed by doping them?

2. Do I join the 'flaps' together prior to installing them? I am assuming I will install the flaps loosely in the fuselage followed by the wing then hinging them together?

3. Can I paint the assembled fuselage and seperate 'flaps' first followed by installing the wing afterwards? Or is it best to glue the wing in place prior to painting the airplane? This question will NOT apply if I use Doculam as I will have to paint it too.

I think that this is it for now. I may have to post for more help in the future, but we'll see. Thank you.

And here is just a picture of where I am at currently.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Finishing Up My Sig Banshee Build, Have Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 07:48:37 PM »
There's a lot of different ways to do this correctly.  I'd silkspan everything when I doped it, except for the open bays if I were going to use 'coat there.  Then I'd glue it together, then I'd do the final finishing.

If I'm doing Rustoleum I finish out the fuselage, tail feathers, and center sheeting first, then put the 'coat on the wings, then if I'm trimming the wings with Rustoleum I spray trim colors.  If I'm NOT putting Rustoleum over 'coat, I'd probably put the trim on the fuse and then put the 'coat on the wings.

I prefer hinging my flaps using a long piece of music wire for the hinge pin, and leaving the flaps unglued from the center connector.  This way I can remove a flap if I need to dink with it (like, after a crash).  Ditto the elevators.  It means finishing all the surfaces separately, which is a pain, but it's saved me repair time.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 08:44:56 PM »
I'm with Tim on the steps. This is a repair, but could easily be the same principle.
http://stunthanger.com/smf/12-a-building/help-identifying-a-12a-plane-now-under-construction/

I would assemble everything and kote the wings,  then paint. Leave a smidgen of kote exposed so the paint covers it to, on the wing. I monokote my flaps also.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 10:26:49 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:23:50 AM by Motorman »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here