News:

• April 23, 2024, 09:13:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Disapointed with Gorilla 5 min epoxy  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Wayne Collier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Disapointed with Gorilla 5 min epoxy
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:41:14 PM »
I have used devcon 5 minute epoxy for nearly 20 years on the job, at home, and for hobby use. I've glued metal, plastic, rocks, and wood. I have used it successfully for engine mounts. It sometimes takes less or more than 5 minutes but always had a definite "kick" after which it seemed like hard plastic.  I went to pick some up Saturday and didn't see any in the store I went to, so I picked up some Gorilla 5 minute epoxy.  I mixed it in equal proportions and after a few hours it was a sticky gooey mess that still had not hardened.  Have any of you guys tried it?  How did it work for you? 
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
Re: Disapointed with Gorilla 5 min epoxy
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
I have tried a couple of the Gorilla glues and if you ask me,
they really sucks the big rague,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I tried both their 5 min. epoxy, (did the exact same as yours) as well as their
super glue. Had to use the kicker each time I went to use it.

So, to me, it is a none player for glues............

But then again, that is just me.

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:19:57 PM »
No, I've never tried it, but was thinking about it until I read this. I looked at a package at Lowes the other day. Thanks for the alert. I usually use BSI, though it's frequently re-branded by Great Planes or some such hobby dealer.

I have used the regular original Gg for some repairs and it's pretty good. I dampen the two surfaces, or one if I can't get to the other, and it sticks really well and will fill some gaps. I had to replace a wing in my Twister and had a few gaps after cleaning out the old wing root in the fuse. After I tacked it in alignment with small shims and CA, I coated 1/16" balsa shims with original one part Gg and slid them tightly in place and it looks like it did a good job. I flowed BSI epoxy into the rest of the joint.

When I first got back into building in 2010 and in the new age of CA, I built a Li'l Jumpin' Bean with Gorilla thick rubberized CA and was satisfied. It gave plenty of work time and was plenty strong. Never had a glue joint fail after many crashes. You can pre-glue and then assemble. I'd use it again if I thought I had a need for it.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 03:02:57 PM »
Like you I've been using the Devcon with good results although I prefer Sig. Haven't used the GOrilla but there tape is good so I'm supprised the glue sucks. Good to know !!
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »
 :)  Gentlemen, if I might add my 2 cents .... when it comes to CA's and epoxies I believe each of you should try the Mercury brand.  When I owned an operated the local hobby shop here, I talked with the former owner, Cliff Whitley, a number of times, back when he first started and finally decided to try his product for my personal uses before I decided to stock it in the store.  Guys, all I can tell you is there came a point shortly afterwards when it was the only brand I stocked and I refuse to change the labels like BSI.  I really, really like their product, warranty and product support.  Granted not every LHS may stock it but you can order it direct if need be.  When I closed my store a few years ago, I was determined to continue using this product, no matter what.  I buy the thick, medium and thin CA's by the box (which usually holds me for about 6-8 months or so) and keep my extras in the big freezer until I'm ready for them; the epoxies get ordered on an as needed basis.  Gentlemen, I'll be very, very surprised if any of you, who take the time to test the product, can find a valid reason to come against this product.  To me, it's awesome!!  Jus' one man's opinion!  No, I'm not advertising just offering a earnest testimonial to those who are interested :D!!

Online badbill

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »
I can't stand the Mercury, and I gave it quite the chance. I don't like the bottles at all... the big spout offers no precision, and the thin just pours out. As far as it being any better, I see no difference using it and BSI or Jet, or Great planes Pro CA or build it CA. They are all about the same. BTW, it's Cliff Whitney who owns it now, and he is a great guy and a close friend of mine.
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »
I use very little CA glue so I really don't have an opinion on it, however I can say unequivocally that West System Epoxy is the best I have ever used. 

Mike

Online badbill

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 07:46:36 PM »
I use very little CA glue so I really don't have an opinion on it, however I can say unequivocally that West System Epoxy is the best I have ever used. 

Mike

I really investigated epoxy when I was into high power rocketry. West system and system three are the BEST, when it really matters.
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 06:05:58 PM »
I actually am also a huge fan of Mercury CA's. I also believe that they are the best by far.....
I do have some where less than 1,000 pipettes that I bought on ebay or amazon, and I just trim them off at the base, and use a new one each time I build on the Mercury bottles. They work great and have a tiny tiny tip for the thin CA. so small that for thicker stuff sometimes I have to trim it back a little. These pipettes also fit other CA bottles.
Bill I will mail you some if I remember to!

West "G-flex" bonding epoxy is indeed very good stuff, and worth the $25 per pair of bottles.
For real laminating though, their epoxy is marginal, it is too thick.
MGS rocks for that. It is almost the viscosity of water!

Gorilla Glue is known for their PolyUrethane glue, which a lot of RC guys love for balsa sheeting on wings. It cures with moisture, and you can actually add a few drops of water to it then whip it up and it will foam and fill any voids. You have to watch out because this foaming expansion can push parts away from one another if not properly secured until dry.
Easy to sand compared to most other adhesives, too.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 06:13:45 PM »