News:

• May 08, 2024, 05:56:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Palmer Hurricane wing do over !!  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak Palmer Hurricane wing do over !!
« on: October 21, 2016, 02:06:26 PM »
After a two year layoff I'm going to attempt to build this wing without warps !! I bought a set of laser cut ribs and a pattern sheet and will try to finish this kit. I'm using my shop made wing jig that'l do the whole wing, I did have to alter the support's for the spar and will have to alter the trailing edge supports to get the trailing edge on. I'm in my garage shop so I can be as messy and dusty as I want without the fear of Helga's rath  mw~ mw~ mw~ so here goes nothin..
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak Palmer Hurricane wing do over !!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 02:19:31 PM »
Those pictures don't magnify very well, I'll charge up the Kodak and see if I can resize them and show better shots.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »
Lee,
way to go, one of my all time favourite aircraft. Will be watching with interest.
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 01:19:14 PM »
Lee just for what little it's worth I built one of these a year or so ago and don't think much of the method of jigging.  If the wood is soft the structure is pretty light to be able to work on and hold any trueness on the rods.  I would and did rather jig with blocks from the leading and trailing edge to solidly hold them straight and parallel throughout the building.  Sheet the top,  then turn over and re-jig to sheet the other side.  Pretty hard to build in warps that way.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »
Ok Dave that's why I put in the supports to keep it from sagging. Did you have trouble with R-12 ?? My original kit and the rib set I just got from Brodak had a problem with R-12 being to short !! I emailed John about it 2 years ago but apperently nothing was fixed ..?? Today I took the R-12 and placed on the Pattern sheet and it is short !! I'll send  pics again to John. This is from 2 years ago !!
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 06:37:50 PM »
Oh gee I sure can't remember about the rib.  I'm sure I just filled in around it.  If not too late you could just trace it and make another a little larger.  The setup and tooling for kits is major work and corrections can be costly.  I'd bet John may have already had a large batch made and didn't care to scrap them.  Maybe on the next run ( if there is one) will be better.  Overall it's a nice kit.  My only real complaint is fighting warped flaps.  These may be a little too soft for simple 1/4" sheet.  You might consider remaking them from harder wood.  My build went well but I got in a hurry to finish it and didn't like the end result- so I stripped it and started again.  Since then I've lost interest in that one so it sits.  I'm way ahead in my competition building program and may find myself bored over the winter.  I could get re-energized to work on the Hurricane again.
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 10:36:05 PM »
Did you have trouble with R-12 ?? My original kit and the rib set I just got from Brodak had a problem with R-12 being to short !!

No big deal at all Lee, just cut a 1/4" wide by about 1" long piece of balsa of the necessary thickness, slide it in the gap and glue'r up.  ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 08:42:07 AM »
Yes Wayne I know how to fix, it's just the point if it's wrong it should be corrected. These are Kodak shot's let's see if there any better.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 07:01:11 PM »
Yes Wayne I know how to fix, it's just the point if it's wrong it should be corrected. These are Kodak shot's let's see if there any better.

By the "do over" title here I thought you were going to build a whole new wing. I thought that sounded kind of extreme.

I had the same problem with some short ribs in a Brodak kit once, I think it was the Zero.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 12:56:08 AM »
Leester
          A couple of photo's of my Brodak Hurricane if you are interested,wing complete
and sanding jig for elevators.
Paul
In OZ

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 10:12:38 AM »
Wayne, I am building a whole new wing !! I want it warp free . Looks good Paul, I'd like to see more on the sanding jig..
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »
Picture of sanding jig for elevators.
Ok the base is cut from 5/8" forma ply,the sides are 1'' x 1/16" gal flat bar.
The base is cut slightly oversize and the slot in the L/E side of  the jig is so
you can sit the balance tab of the elevator in it and slide it down locking it firm in the jig.
The leading edge flat bar is set at 3/8" and does not move,the rear flat bar is set at 9/32"
to sand the first taper then its lowered to 3/16" to do the other side,I made two jigs after the
first side is done it gets moved over to the second jig and visa-versa because of the balance tab.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:54:33 AM by paul allen »

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 04:31:50 PM »
Paul Very nice !! How about an explanation of how you designed and built it .  PIC's
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 06:05:47 AM »
I can't tell from the pics---does this wing have dihedral?

Thanks.
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 01:36:17 PM »
Nope !!
Leester
ama 830538

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here