News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:44:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Attaching Wingtips to a Foam Wing  (Read 7247 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Attaching Wingtips to a Foam Wing
« on: April 26, 2016, 08:01:42 PM »
What glue do most use for attaching wingtips to a foam wing?  I'm thinking Titebond (Alaphatic).

James
AMA 491167

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
Re: Attaching Wingtips to a Foam Wing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:21:37 PM »
...is this a real question?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:29:24 PM »

Probably.

What glue do most use for attaching wingtips to a foam wing?  I'm thinking Titebond (Alaphatic).

James

What sort of foam wing?  A sheeted foam-winged stunter, an all-foam combat wing, what?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 10:59:05 PM »
James,

Five minute Epoxy will work and there's a CA for gluing foam. Used for repairs mostly.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:39:05 PM »

I use something like Titebond. I actually used white Luthier's glue the last time but it's not at all critical.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 03:09:25 AM »
Most non solvent based glues will work and my choice would be poly vinyl acetate ( PVA) water based adhesive.

The supposed benefit of Aliphatic glue is sanding ability and water resistance but I cant see that as a plus here.

Large surface area contact would be far more important.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 05:39:32 AM »
It's been a while since I built a foam wing, don't make me sick Ben on you next time we see you (he has the height advantage now LL~).

James
AMA 491167

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
I've done OK with Titebond on foam.  Just don't use it in the center of a huge block.  Epoxy is a lot of effort when you don't need it.  You're only gluing one layer of beads so it would deliver it's potential strength.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:29:05 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 03:10:04 PM »
If you're not aiming for pretty (you never did say if it was stunt), Gorilla Glue works great on foam.  Just make sure that there's enough moisture for it to fire off completely, that there's a place for any excess to go when it foams up, and that your clamping system will hold even when the glue tries to push everything apart.

It may even work on a stunt plane -- I've never tried sanding it, so I don't know.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 03:47:32 PM »
If you're not aiming for pretty (you never did say if it was stunt), Gorilla Glue works great on foam.  Just make sure that there's enough moisture for it to fire off completely, that there's a place for any excess to go when it foams up, and that your clamping system will hold even when the glue tries to push everything apart.

It may even work on a stunt plane -- I've never tried sanding it, so I don't know.
It's a stunt plane so pretty counts.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 04:23:12 PM »
Sounds like a great place to use P/U, aka gorilla glue, to me. That stuff sands well and uses moisture to cure. Make sure the part is securely taped to the wing or it may try to lift the tip away when curing.
Some of my sailplane buddies use PU to vacuum bag 1/64" ply to foam cores. It's pretty strong when used correctly and sands better than Aliphatic resin, in my opinion.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »
don't make me sick Ben on you next time we see you (he has the height advantage now LL~).

James

Im sure I can out-PT him  :D

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 08:08:09 PM »
If the tip is a porous material like balsa there is never any issue with the glue being able to air dry, and even with foam to foam the section is not large enough to deny air entry even through the glue seam itself.

Really can't see an issue with good old PVA.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 10:46:37 PM »
Im sure I can out-PT him  :D

I don't know, he started running track this year #^
AMA 491167

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 09:25:57 PM »
Im sure I can out-PT him  :D

I don't know, he started running track this year #^

Took a PT test today...2-mile in 12:33.  Tell Ben to bring it  8)

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 05:17:20 PM »

Took a PT test today...2-mile in 12:33.  Tell Ben to bring it  8)
That's pretty good for an old sergeant y1.  I'll pass it on.  If nothing else he can do more damage at a buffet now than you could.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 12:30:39 PM »
I use Elmer's white glue on my combat models, for the spars and the wing tips. It dries clear.  You do have to let it set for several days on the spars, but wing tips dry fast.  You gotta tape off the foam when sanding flush, otherwise the foam will get low.  Been down the Gorrilla glue road and quit using it.  Tough to control the foam out, and almost impossible to clean up.  It is not that easy to sand. Not in this application.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here