• April 26, 2024, 08:32:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ares  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Charles Williams

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Ares
« on: March 31, 2016, 07:55:04 AM »
Hi guys (and gals). I am getting ready to start my first C/L build. I purchased an Ares kit off of ebay. I have been building R/C planes for about 40 years, but I'm wanting to start flying control line. I love the lines of the Ares, thats why I got it. This will be my first I-beam wing build. Which leads me to my firsr question.
How or what.......do I use for a wing jig? There is no manual in the kit to give me any ideas.

So any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
Re: Ares
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 09:10:44 AM »
I'm not sure which kit of the model you have but... Brodak kit this airframe and have a Instruction book for the build.  It is available as a stand-alone item that  may be something of a guide if you like.

http://brodak.com/59-ares-instruction-book.html

There are many mentions of the I-beam wing construction here on the site, just use the search engine at the top left corner.  I looked for a build thread but did not put much time or effort into it.

Here another link related to an I-beam build.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/classic-planes/my-first-'i'-beam/

Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline Charles Williams

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 09:18:13 AM »
Thanks TigreST. I will look into the manual. I dont believe that this is Brodak kit. But I am not completely sure.

The balsa parts in this kit appear to be band sawed, and of incredible quality. The plans have a template to cut out the rib parts, but those are all band sawed and in a seperate sealed bag. There are no marking any where to clue me as to what kit I have.

Offline Dave Royer

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 10:50:39 AM »
Bob Hunt (Robin's View) has an excellent video available which shows the construction of the wing by the designer himself. It is a build from plan demonstration but will answer all your I-beam questions I'm pretty sure.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 11:07:49 AM »
Even if you're not building the Brodak's kit, the Brodak instructions should be very helpful.  Clearly you'll have to pay attention to differences between your kit and the Brodak kit -- but the book will still be helpful.

Post pictures as you build.  For most of us they'll be neat eye-candy.  For you, it'll be an opportunity for people who have been there, done that, to look over your shoulder and help you with your build.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 11:58:56 AM »
Ok I cant stay away from the elephant in the room,, .
If this is your first control line plane,, some helpfull advice perhaps
I admire your shutzpa to build an Ares, actually the build will probably be fine for you, though there are some unique differencew between RC and Control line,, ( examples, Hinging, covering, weight, and trim)
that said,
Please do yourself a favor and research on here for beginner setups,, something like a flite streak with an LA 25, or a Skyray

I am concerned that if you fly this plane as your first endevour, your will meet with displeasure, not because the airplane is hard to fly, but more the guy on the handle and the learning curve there in,, with a less complex model, more easily repaired, less time invested in building, WHEN you smack the ground, and you will,, you will suffer less frustration and loss off effort if you start off with something simple.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Charles Williams

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 12:06:40 PM »
I'll be happy to post some pictures during my build. I will order the Ares manual before I start though.

Any idea where I can get the video from Robin's view productions?

Thats to all for the help so far. I can't wait to get started on this build.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 02:03:35 PM »
Please do yourself a favor and research on here for beginner setups,, something like a flite streak with an LA 25, or a Skyray

Some people need to discover this for themselves.  For instance, I have a blue box Nobler hanging in my shop that'll never fly again -- it was my first "big" CL plane, and my opportunity to realize why you want to start out on something easy to repair.

Crash for crash, there are "events" that a profile will survive with minimal damage that would leave you picking up an Ares with a broom.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Charles Williams

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 04:48:42 PM »
I'm definitely not flying the Ares til I get some experience. I also have a Sig Banshee still in the box for that. I do have experience covering with silk and dope.

I just haven't built an I-beam wing before.

Thanks for the help and imput. I appreciate all of it.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 05:31:16 PM »
You risk having your threshold of what you consider "good" to rise beyond what you built into the plane.  That's part of the reason that Nobler is still hanging on my wall.  (And I was in about the same position as you -- I had decades of building RC planes and some casual CL behind me, then I built the Nobler from the kit).

BUT -- if you just want to build it, go build it.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here