News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:38:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Memories of you FIRST FIRST PLACE THROPY  (Read 8849 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Memories of you FIRST FIRST PLACE THROPY
« on: September 02, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »
The other day I was digging through some old boxes and found an old trophy that I thought was long long gone. It was an old 1st Place trophy that I had won in Canada Internats in the early early early 1960's.
The best thing about finding that old award was not the award itself...but  how this little silly piece of hardware instantly brought back vivid heartfelt  memories of old friends and places that I hadn't thought of for decades?

Although this  award is old and tattered..what a gift in  heart felt memories of old friends, peers and places this trophy INSTANTLY brought back to me.....THAT ARE TRULY A PRICELESS GIFT!
 Just for a test..
Why not dig through your old awards, trophies....Pick one up that might have meant so much to you...Try to think back what took place that day you stepped up to accept that first award (no matter if it was a first place or a last place thropy...Why not just  share those stories and memories about them with us today?
Bottom line: (gettin old and seeee-nile' SUCKS!!)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:58:58 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Memories of you FIRST FIRST PLACE THROPY
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »
Now you are testing this old mans memory.   I still have the the two first place trophies I won in a club, Flying Eagles of Kansas City Kansas, beginner contest/event.  Flying my first Ringmaster with McCoy power.  Won't mention which one as I've been told it didn't exist.  First event was to get ready to fly.  The event director said go and started a watch.  But had to fly at least 25  laps after starting the engine.  Time stopped at 25 laps.  Second event was takeoff, level laps, loop if you wanted and land.  Was so excited I won that the folks, Mom and Dad took me out to watch my brothers at the flat track motorcycle races.  Then it was several years before I won another trophy and it is story in itself. LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 11:31:24 AM »
Now you are testing this old mans memory.   I still have the the two first place trophies I won in a club, Flying Eagles of Kansas City Kansas, beginner contest/event.  Flying my first Ringmaster with McCoy power.  Won't mention which one as I've been told it didn't exist.  ~

Yes...
I too had one of those old AHC mail ordered McCoy engines that many have informed me that this engine "never existed:) Here is a fuzzy snapshot close up*
I needed this new Mac engine for my new 1956  Kenhi Wildcat that I also ordered from AHC to replace my worn out old Forster 29 that had ingested waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much sand n' dirt from that nearby Iowa sand lot ball field.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 03:26:00 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 11:42:30 AM »
HI Donaldo!

My first real First Place Stunt trophy came at a Huntersville meet.  It was in Beginner stunt!  I had a profile I made based on the Impact.  I had flown "Stunt" for years but never entered a "Contest".  Everything I did before that was maneuvers from the OTS period so I had to learn all the "modern" maneuvers.  The Huntersville Meets are still going strong, twice a year.  Lots of great memories and friends have I met there!  Unfortunately, several are now flying on those perfect circles in the sky.......

About the time I was starting to actually fly patterns that looked respectable, I changed jobs.  No real flying for a long time afterwards, just going to whatever contests I could get to and flying there.

It has been quite a while since I have even won a trophy of any kind! LOL!! (but that's ok, and just might change before too long. ;D )

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 03:42:39 PM »
HI Donaldo!

My first real First Place Stunt trophy came at a Huntersville meet.  It has been quite a while since I have even won a trophy of any kind! LOL!! (but that's ok, and just might change before too long. ;D )Big Bear

Bill and any of you others that might be lurking...Your story about your first trophies...that started the competitoin  addictions in your hearts and souls, doesn't really have to be  aboutmodel airplanes.

For example..my addiction to competitions of any kind was "SEEDED" when I entered a Miltion Bradley "America the Beautiful" coloring contest that was sponsored and given to all Kansas grade school students. Grades 1 through 7th.
My MEAD KANSAS teachers were blown away that I lucked out and won a first place award and an AMAZING GIFT of $100.00 (which was like a million bucks to my family in those early 1948) 
Don Shultz

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »
My first 1st place trophy was in May of 2007.  We went to a contest in Wrentham, MA and I was a beginner at the time.

The plane I flew was a Brodak Fw-190 with a McCoy 35 powering it. I was the only beginner at that contest, and Bill Hummel told me I was already flying as well as the intermediates above me.  I didn't know the pattern at the time (I was only a beginner, I didn't even know how to do an overhead 8 yet).  The next contest was in Lee, MA.  This time there were 3 beginners and I won that by a large margin. I was then booted to intermediate. That was the beginning of my career in stunt.

Matt Colan

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »
That would've been June 1950 - a kids' 12-and-under Display Scale contest.  Age age 9 I won First with a Strombecker DC-6....in the "Junior" category.  The "Senior" winner won 1st with a Speedee-Bilt P-51.

...and by the way, I still have that little trophy!
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 01:45:40 AM »
The only first place trophies I recall getting were for shooting: UNIFIL pistol champion and part of the winning rifle falling plate team in summer 1991.

The pistol shoot made my heart skip a few beats: one guy with a whistle was timing us for two shots in a given number of seconds. At a kneeling stage, he missed a "stop" whistle and I was seriously late for the next pair of shots, being uncertain if the whistle that came was the "stop" or the next "start". In the corner of my eye, I saw everyone else get down on a knee and followed. Somehow, my quick "double tap" hit well enough...
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »
My first FIRST was the `97 Canadian Team Trials held in Vancouver BC.  I had several 4th place finishes through intermediate and advanced but never a first.  It was against Chris Cox, Ken Bird and Kim Doherty.  A formidable field to be sure.  I had practiced my butt off leading up to the event and felt pretty comfortable that I wouldn't be embarrassed. 

During practice I noticed a small crack on the wing, investigating, the spar was cracked.  Well off to Chris's shop for repairs.  By that evening the repair was in place and the back up plane on the ready. 

I went and washed my truck a shiny new 96 black and very nice.... actually I had it washed.... turns out the washers didn't latch the hood and it popped open while driving and bent the hood backwards.  Nice!  Oh well have to focus now.....

Contest day, the first two flights go pretty smooth and I'm leading the pack, so on the third flight I decided to really burn one in.... I had a reasonable margin but felt it was ok to go for it.  I had recently read Rabe's go for broke article...  Things were going great, I was in the third lap of inverted when suddenly POW.  It pancaked in upside down.  I was stunned.  I was told later that there are little "suckers" that occasionally pop up (down?) at that field. 

So anyway, there I was with only two flights and I scraped my plane all up even more... and i had a bent truck... and I had the lead.... so far...

Ken was up next and he was shaking, I asked why, foolishly, He says "Dude, I just saw you crash!!!"  Ken was my flying buddy and my crash didn't help his focus...  I felt dumb later for asking.

At the end of the event my two flights held up, and I was first victim to go to the Ukraine in 98.... and that's another story.

B

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »
Bruce...Was the F2B trials held at the Rice Mill Road site in Richmond? If so, what were the conditions, calm or windy? When going there, I keep thinking about bringing the chainsaw along....  y1 Steve   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »

At the end of the event my two flights held up, and I was first victim to go to the Ukraine in 98.... and that's another story.

B

I was looking through some old SNs and came across Paul walkers article about the 98 worlds, and it said that you didn't have a very good experience (getting sick doesn't help anything). Also what sounds like an extremely toughtime with customs and having to pay money not needing to be payed
Matt Colan

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 12:06:35 AM »
OK, I'll play. My first 1st place isn't actually a trophy, but a certificate. It was at the Western Associated Modelers (WAM) stunt championships contest in Corning, CA. in 1994. It was the Beginner class, but WAM contests used the full pattern for all skill classes.

It was windy as h*ll and my 38 Special w/ Fox .35 was struggling bad. But it was good enough for the win AND my first 400+ score ever. 411 to be exact.
Ted Fancher was the judge. At the time, I didn't know him from Adam.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »
I don't have any aeromodelling first place trophies.  Although since I started flying Beginner CLPA, I have finished last in every contest I've entered, and gotten a trophy for it (including an indoor free flight contest last winter).

I entered two events at Puyallup this year, though.  So even though I ended up last place in both Profile and Beginner, I only took had to take home one trophy for a last-place finish.  I'm kinda thinking of moving up to Advanced just to dodge that bullet, but at Puyallup there were few enough competitors that I would have been at risk there, too.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 11:33:58 AM »
I don't have any aeromodelling first place trophies.  Although since I started flying Beginner CLPA, I have finished last in every contest I've entered, and gotten a trophy for it (including an indoor free flight contest last winter).

I entered two events at Puyallup this year, though.  So even though I ended up last place in both Profile and Beginner, I only took had to take home one trophy for a last-place finish.  I'm kinda thinking of moving up to Advanced just to dodge that bullet, but at Puyallup there were few enough competitors that I would have been at risk there, too.

HUMAN BEINGS HAVE ALWAYS GAINED SKILLS FASTER BASICALLY FROM SIMPLY  "GOING TO SCHOOL" OR LEARNING" BY SURROUNDING THEMSELVES WITH EXPERTS AND GIFTED HUMAN BEINGS.

(THESE REAL TIME TEACHERS!) MUCH MORE PRECIOUS THAN GOLD!

What better teachers...especially in CLPA are the consistant top three expert class flyers and then Entering ABOVE your skill level should REWARD YOU WITH FAR AND AWAY MORE CHARISHED ITEMS THAN  ANY 1ST PLACE AWARD.....

Simply hangin around "going to flight school" in a staging area...shoulder to shoulder, taking notes and watching close up and personal just how these EXPERTS of fellow and new found friendship of PEERS and then carefully watching just how they go about the task of preparing and performing their rountines and GAMESMANSHIP.

Begin by making MENTAL NOTES...From the very first moment they sit their flight boxes down to the last minute that they pack up to leave for home.
"CLPA MONKEY SEE...MONKEY DO!"
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:15:35 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »
OK, I'll play. My first 1st place isn't actually a trophy, but a certificate. It was at the Western Associated Modelers (WAM) stunt championships contest in Corning, CA. in 1994. It was the Beginner class, but WAM contests used the full pattern for all skill classes.

It was windy as h*ll and my 38 Special w/ Fox .35 was struggling bad. But it was good enough for the win AND my first 400+ score ever. 411 to be exact.
Ted Fancher was the judge. At the time, I didn't know him from Adam.

I remember the contest. I think that one was the day Ted left the second Trivial Pursuit in his van to protect it, and the paint bubbled up. It was hot and windy.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 11:11:54 PM »
I don't remember earlier 1st place trophies (yes, there were some), but I remember a 3rd place in '81 and a 1st place in '95 that are very fond memories. Both were flying F1A, aka Nordic Glider, starting in '70, retiring about '85, then coming back in '95 and '96. 

The '81 contest was in Rancho Cordova, CA, the 2 day, 10 rounder. I maxed out the first day (5 x 180= 900 sec.) and won the "Champagne Flyoff" with something over 8 minutes...1 flight, mass launch, no max. Next morning, before the crack of dawn, we went up again, and I dropped 4 seconds, and marked the only lift of the round, after towing for 50 minutes. Maxed the rest, for 1796 seconds of 1800, for 3rd, missing the flyoff between Lee Hines and Jim Parker, both of whom had been or eventually became team members, while beating several past team members. A good go, that weekend. But I came back from vacation to a pink slip at Boeing, and Mom died that month. But I got to be with her when she died,  tell her I loved her and that she was THE best Mom a kid could ever ask for.  :'(

The '95 contest was up here at Ft. Lewis' "Harts Lake Prairie", for the "Western FAI Challenge". Pierre Brun had called me from California, to try to get me to fly in the contest. I had been planning on going to help, but didn't think I had a model left from the early '80's. Pierre said he would let me fly one of his old models, no problem (and legal, being FAI rules). He really wanted me to fly because he was leading the America's Cup competition, and the more people he beat, the more points he got. I knew that, but don't know if he knew I knew that! I had to join AMA plus FAI, plus entry fees and by the time I was done had $95 invested. Suddenly, I got real serious about doing well, because that was a lot of money to me, and only cash was awarded, except for 1st place. I ended up winning 1st in F1A, beating Pierre with the same model he was flying. Ralph Cooney (Fourmost hardware and tools) placed 2nd, also flying the same model! The win put my name on the Marc Nagasawa memorial perpetual trophy, which meant more to me than the $240 I won, and means even more to me now.

The original perpetual trophy disappeared sometime after '95, but was replaced with a new plaque. The contest stopped when the Strat-O-Bats club folded up around Y2K, but a few of the active fliers are still around, and I asked about the trophy. It was in a storage locker, and now it's on my wall where I can see it as I twiddle on the computer. Oh, FWIW, Pierre didn't win the America's Cup until the next year.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 10:34:42 AM »

WOW! STEVE!  H^^
You are such a gifted writer...

Beautifully written and heartfelt story! Thanks for sharing
Don Shultz

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »
Cool! I won my first one, also with a towline glider. I had the high time at a St Paul Minnesota contest flying a Jasco Thermic 50. About 1946!
Don

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 04:28:51 PM »
Cool! I won my first one, also with a towline glider. I had the high time at a St Paul Minnesota contest flying a Jasco Thermic 50. About 1946!

My first model contest win of any kind was 1st in model rocketry, B Chute Duration, 14 minutes OOS in 1974. I don't think there was any sort of trophy. My first model airplane contest win was Beginner at the 1981 Middle Earth Stunt contest in Lexington, the plaque is hanging from the wall near the 2006 NATs Open Championship plaque.

Brett
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:27:03 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »
" My first model airplane contest win was Beginner at the 1981 Middle Earth Stunt contest in Lexington "

I bet it was in perfect trim also. ;D

What was the model brett?
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 12:36:06 AM »
        My first contest ever was the 1991 Broken Arrow.  Placed first in Jr/Sr Balloon Bust when I was 8.  My first win in Beginner was in 1995 at the same contest I believe.

Most of the hardware that I have collected over the years are in storage at my folks' house.  I do tote around with me plaques and trophies that have some special meaning.  Those include:

-1998 Sig contest 1st place JSO beginner. That one was a big deal!  Made from a distributor cap for a Wright 3350.  Dad was pretty jealous about that one!
        -1998 Nat's 1st place beginner stunt.  Dad dumped me off at the grass to go fly OTS and classic up at the L-Pad!  That left me INCREDIBLY nervous for a 12 year-old to be on his own...and at my first Nat's no less!!   :)
        -2001 Nat's 2nd place Sr. PA.  The week from H*ll!!! Paint was drying on a new model on the way to Muncie, decided it wasnt worth it and put it away, only to pull it back out after wrecking in an official due to a control failure.  Lots of lessons learned that week!!
        -2006 Sig contest 2nd place Advanced.  My first contest after joining the Army, I had just landed in STL after coming home on R&R from my first trip to Iraq.  I jumped right in the car and drove overnight to Montezuma.  Took delivery on a brand new P-Force, and took it to the podium.  Then I think I slept for about 3 days......
        -My dad made a few BEAUTIFUL trophies in 2003, commemorating the centenial of aviation.  I picked up one for another 2nd place spot in Advanced.  Probably my favorite out of all of them, it has enough space on it that I add to it every time I make it home and place at the Broken Arrow

I have also collected hardware from places that I have been in my Army postings, to include The Cholla Choppers, Dallas Model Airplane Association, Tulsa Gluedobbers, and also trappings from my Free Flight activities here in Colorado.  They all take their place of honor in my study, and its great to just stare and think of all the great stories behind them.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
Well I got first trophy for being oldest flyer at the regionals. Not too many people can top that! HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ H^^

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »
Some of my first trphy's were for golf tounaments that I entered in in Montana. I think it was because I din't break my leg by steppin in a Gopher hole. I won one trophy for being closrst to the hole  at a tournament in Sunburst Mont. when I was in my twentys. I also won trophy's in my hometown several times. In those days we played by amature rules and no hanycap. It was fun but I really like the trophys I won in modeling simply because I got to win them with my own designs.

Offline thomas farmer

• Ensign
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »
My first first place trophy was in a contest at California Missouri, the summer 1957. Model was a Guided Musscle with a Veco 35 loaned to me by Pete Asjes. Great memories: Forerunner

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 12:35:06 PM »
Bill and any of you others that might be lurking...Your story about your first trophies...that started the competitoin  addictions in your hearts and souls, doesn't really have to be  aboutmodel airplanes.

For example..my addiction to competitions of any kind was "SEEDED" when I entered a Miltion Bradley "America the Beautiful" coloring contest that was sponsored and given to all Kansas grade school students. Grades 1 through 7th.
My MEAD KANSAS teachers were blown away that I lucked out and won a first place award and an AMAZING GIFT of $100.00 (which was like a million bucks to my family in those early 1948) 

After returning to this post I realized I mis stated my actual "First Trophys".  Those cam early on in Sports, especially Track and Field.  Usually we were given Ribbons, but for the North Carolina/South Carolina AAU meet, actual Trophys were awarded.  I was 13 and won the Shot Put event.

"Competition" was almost "bred" in me.  I always wanted to be the best, regardless.  In a sense, CLPA has been the least competitive event I have taken part in.  I came into the arena late and way behind the learning curve.  No matter, I always strive to do the best I can do at each meet.  A realization that having my name on the Walker Trophy was not possible, I never decided to put in the total effort necessary, even if I had the opportunity.  Not saying I am not serious, I am, but I decided to be realistic.  This is a subjective event, not an objective one, which further leaves things out of my control.  In track, if I threw the shot put or discus farther than anyone else there, I won.  Same for the sprints, if I crossed the finish line before the others, I won.  CLPA has not become a life consuming event for me.  I do thoroughly enjoy seeing my friends and meeting new people at meets.  To me, at my point in life, I enjoy this aspect even more than the possibility of not finishing last! ;D

But having that lonely trophy from a Beginner Stunt contest is pleasant to look at. ;D

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »
Hmmm, I won Advanced once during a windstorm over Joe Dill. But I'm pretty sure it's the only first place I've won in PA. I won classic once when I was pretty much the only guy dumb enough to put up a pattern in a wind storm.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 08:35:26 AM »
Not bad Randy,  I've done that a few times.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 08:27:45 PM »
1st 1st place was in Albuquerque last year at the High desert Control Line Classic-Beginner Class. I Beat Lance after he pitted for me and I pitted and repaired the Club Banshee for him to make sure he put up his last attempt to try and beat me. Turn about is fair play- he beat me the year before!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 07:39:05 PM »
The only 1st place trophies/events I remember are the '80 and '83 NATS.  Especially '83 since I was flying my buddy Gil so we went 1 and 2.  Drove Don Hobrook crazy on the ride home.

I do remember my first contest, flying combat on a paved circle.  Only 3 were nuts enough to fly.  I ended up second due to a silly fuel line problem.
phil Cartier

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 06:31:28 PM »
My first 1st place trophy was at the first KOI ,1954 ( age 12 ) i built a Redskin with a K&B 23 and won team racing with my dad pitting . my second 1st place was four years later in JR comat also at the KOI flown on the runway.
rad racer

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 07:08:24 PM »
Okay, other than that Solid Scale award (post #6 above) my first CL Stunt trophy (actually a ribbon) was in Beginner, 1976, at the old Datsun Hq. field in Gardena, CA.  Goldberg Shoestring, muffled Fox .35.  Really nervous since the judges were Whitely and Klapinski!  Pulled it off, though in all honesty there were only two of us in it.

Prior to that, several other Firsts...but all in Free Flight:  A-Gas, 1/2A ROW, A/1 Towline, etc.

Offline donchandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 06:00:39 PM »
I had started competing in control line and free flight almost simultaniously and the first award was actually a home made placque for a hand launch glider event (still have it) at a combined WAM control line and free flight meet in 1969. But it was two more years before I got a first flying control line to back up the 2nds and 3rds I had been getting. It was in a scale air race event at Delta College in Stocton, CA. Actually got two that day and was definatly hooked.
Don Chandler

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »
Still waiting. No, wait a minute, - we won 1st. in a 1 hour T/R Enduro event. Very hot day. My pilot was so exhausted he had to lift his pint left handed, his right hand just wouldn't go high enough.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »
"...My pilot was so exhausted he had to lift his pint left handed, his right hand just wouldn't go high enough."
============================================================

I can relate to that.  LL~  LL~  LL~

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »
i don't remember my first first place.  I do remember my second place in Beginner, my first stunt contest.  One of Moose Allen's DeKalb IL contests.
At one time I took all the plates of most of my trophys with the idea of making a large plaque for them, but it never happened.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 10:47:40 AM »
HMMMM, I thought I'd responded to this but I guess not. My first ever trophy was a Senior High Point trophy at the '68 SAM Champs. Taibi Powerhouse, O&R .60 sideport converted to front rotor, 1098 seconds in a single Antique flight. Then '71 first in ABC combined Gas FF at the Michigan state meet. Then after a change from power to rubber I won Wakefield and the '90 Nats. My first (and only) CL first was in Dayton 2006 I think, John Sunderland and Joe Reinhardt were judging Advanced. I'd practiced hard prior to the contest and when I landed after my second flight these guys came to the center and trapped me and informed me that I was from that point on, an Expert, my first and only 1st place Advanced trophy (certificate).
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here