News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:07:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nobler ARF help  (Read 14012 times)

Offline Chris Fretz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Nobler ARF help
« on: June 24, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »
Does anyone have pictures on how they beefed up the engine mounts on the ARF Nobler? I tried searching stuff on it but with all the pictures gone due to the crash is making that hard to do.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Re: Nobler ARF help
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 02:20:17 PM »
I don't have pictures but I used triangle shaped gusset stock running behind the engine firewall (tank area). And glued a balsa block between the motor mounts in the tank area.

Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 08:02:07 PM »
I don't have pictures but I used triangle shaped gusset stock running behind the engine firewall (tank area). And glued a balsa block between the motor mounts in the tank area.

Shug
Thanks for the ideas Shug! I guess when I nose it in an break them off I'll give the R/C mount a try ;D

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 03:25:03 PM »
I guess its time to open the box an do something...
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 08:33:50 PM »
Fitting a 4in bellcrank into this wing is a nightmare! Ugh ''
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 08:38:27 AM »
In my opinion, you don't need a 4 inch bell crank in a Nobler.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 09:43:41 AM »
In my opinion, you don't need a 4 inch bell crank in a Nobler.
No doubt you're probably right!  I just got a setup from Tom Morris an used it.  Ha ha I was thinking "why am I doing this" the whole time!  I'm sure everyone on here is burnt out on the ARF Nobler subject too.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 07:48:01 PM »
I have been flying two ARF Noblers with great success. Use  triangular shaped gussets from the bottom of the motor mounts to the firewall.Place triangle stock in tank compartment where firewall touches fuse sides. Fuel proof engine mounting area and tank compartment with thinned epoxy. Use a fiberglass pushrod and trash can the stock clevises.Use quality R/C stuff or ball links. My stock lead outs and bell crank seem to be fine. Also the stock clunk tank used with muffler pressure works well for me. Both of my planes are .40 powered .One has an OS.40 FSR with tongue muffler,the other an HP.40. Both use 6mm venturi with APC 10.5x4.5 props. I fly on 61' lines eyelet to eyelet with Rayco handle.
Both of my planes use 3/4 ounce of tip weight and both required between 25 to 28 grams of lead mounted on the base of the rudder. I would suggest that you mount the canopy in a way that it is removable so that you can get to the flap horn to make trim adjustments. I also used rubber servo grommets on the holes that attach the cowling . I found no problems with the landing gear. Both of the planes weigh in around 42 to 43 ounces and both fly very nicely.Pay attention to alignment of components and you won't be disappointed. PhillySkip

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 08:32:09 PM »
I have been flying two ARF Noblers with great success. Use  triangular shaped gussets from the bottom of the motor mounts to the firewall.Place triangle stock in tank compartment where firewall touches fuse sides. Fuel proof engine mounting area and tank compartment with thinned epoxy. Use a fiberglass pushrod and trash can the stock clevises.Use quality R/C stuff or ball links. My stock lead outs and bell crank seem to be fine. Also the stock clunk tank used with muffler pressure works well for me. Both of my planes are .40 powered .One has an OS.40 FSR with tongue muffler,the other an HP.40. Both use 6mm venturi with APC 10.5x4.5 props. I fly on 61' lines eyelet to eyelet with Rayco handle.
Both of my planes use 3/4 ounce of tip weight and both required between 25 to 28 grams of lead mounted on the base of the rudder. I would suggest that you mount the canopy in a way that it is removable so that you can get to the flap horn to make trim adjustments. I also used rubber servo grommets on the holes that attach the cowling . I found no problems with the landing gear. Both of the planes weigh in around 42 to 43 ounces and both fly very nicely.Pay attention to alignment of components and you won't be disappointed. PhillySkip
Thank you very much for the good info!
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 07:21:01 PM »
Chris, you're welcome, and glad I could be of help.One other thing, pay careful attention to your flap horn to  pushrod length. On the elevator horn I used a "fixed" (soldered) clevis,but on the flap end I used an adjustable clevis. I'm glad I did because both of my planes needed me to go into the cockpit area to adjust flap to elevator "neutral".

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 09:59:12 PM »
Well I finally stuffed the 4in bellcrank in there! I cant say its right but its there! Got the flaps glued in with Du-Bro hinges, not sure if they are ok hinges but they look better then what came in the kit. Also fitted up the elevators on the stabilizer.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 10:03:57 PM »
How do you guys use an incident meter on the wing once the flaps are installed? I guess I should ask how do you make the flaps level to use an incident meter?
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 06:20:08 AM »
Chris one more thing....the covering Top Flite uses on the ARF Nobler is not "real" Monokote as it can't be tightened using the same amount of heat you would use when working with "real Monokote" .I suspect it might be "Econokote". If you try to fix loose covering with high heat you'll be very sorry. Also, the color is different than the Sapphire Monokote they suggest repairing it with. You can use "real Monokote over it but applied at much lower temperature.....PhillySkip

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 07:43:07 AM »
Chris one more thing....the covering Top Flite uses on the ARF Nobler is not "real" Monokote as it can't be tightened using the same amount of heat you would use when working with "real Monokote" .I suspect it might be "Econokote". If you try to fix loose covering with high heat you'll be very sorry. Also, the color is different than the Sapphire Monokote they suggest repairing it with. You can use "real Monokote over it but applied at much lower temperature.....PhillySkip
I wonder if they didn't change things along the way,  cause mine has updates that are changes from original plans, relief cuts already in the wing an stab for the horns. My covering I cranked up the iron like I use on regular Monokote an it was fine, it tightened right up.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 09:33:49 AM »
I see you didn't want to remove any more center sheeting for the flap push rod,  you have a sharp angle that may bind. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 10:41:26 PM »
Chris, what motor are you going to use in it?

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 04:14:48 PM »
I see you didn't want to remove any more center sheeting for the flap push rod,  you have a sharp angle that may bind. 
The ball joints seem to be doing a good job with the angle, it moves smooth.

Chris, what motor are you going to use in it?

Carl

Giving the LA46 a shot.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 06:09:10 AM »
Try this prop with the 46: APC 12x.25 x 3.75 also with the 46 you may want to use 65' lines center of handle to center of plane....Cheers ,PhillySkip

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 07:38:16 PM »
Getting closer...
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 07:39:34 PM »
Try this prop with the 46: APC 12x.25 x 3.75 also with the 46 you may want to use 65' lines center of handle to center of plane....Cheers ,PhillySkip
Ive used this prop on my Shoestring with a LA46, its a nice prop for sure!
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 07:44:48 PM »
The level gets it close, gave a incident meter a try, will see if I did it good enough though...

Beefed the engine mounts up too, hopefully that is good enough.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 05:44:31 AM »
Looks like you're doing a fine job assembling your Nobler. With the proper mods (as you are doing) these planes fly great. Don't be shy about adding weight to the tail .It's critical in getting the ship to turn properly.....PhillySkip

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 01:20:19 PM »
And don't forget the MANDATORY words on the underside of the wing "FLY NAVY" H^^
You know it does need something it is rather boring looking.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 06:12:38 PM »
Leadouts done, I don't have the skill to make a cowl so the original will have to do. Pretty much all together #^, just have to put some decals on an find a entertaining pilot somewhere.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 08:38:29 PM »
That's about as nicely done as a Nobler ARF can be. Good work.

My old Nobler beater is the only one I've ever flown and it was(busted now) a very good pattern plane, the next best to my beater Cardinal ARF that I fly this season. But I don't know how much difference is in the planes or how much is me. I'll find out pretty soon because I have another Nobler ARF half way put together, waiting for the Twister project that's dragging along at the almost-finished stage.

Looking forward to seeing your Nobler fly.
Rusty
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:24:43 PM by RknRusty »
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 07:29:28 AM »
That's about as nicely done as a Nobler ARF can be. Good work.

My old Nobler beater is the only one I've ever flown and it was(busted now) a very good pattern plane, the next best to my beater Cardinal ARF that I fly this season. But I don't know how much difference is in the planes or how much is me. I'll find out pretty soon because I have another Nobler ARF half way put together, waiting for the Twister project that's dragging along at the almost-finished stage.

Looking forward to seeing your Nobler fly.
Rusty
Thanks Rusty! How's it going?  That Twister looks good!  I have one to build this winter with a Banshee, what all did you modify?
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 08:08:56 AM »
Thanks Rusty! How's it going?  That Twister looks good!  I have one to build this winter with a Banshee, what all did you modify?
Going good, Chris. I only added more bracing to the bellcrank, and it needed nothing more. This is a Walter Umland kit, builtrightflyright.com. It comes with the 2 piece fuselage already extended and ready to be laminated. Also the half ribs, shear webs, ball link CF control rods, triplers for on both sides of the nose with recessed tank and engine, adj. leadouts, weight box, etc. Looks like it's going to be near 40 ounces, so I'm going to use an fp.35.

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 09:27:18 AM »
Going good, Chris. I only added more bracing to the bellcrank, and it needed nothing more. This is a Walter Umland kit, builtrightflyright.com. It comes with the 2 piece fuselage already extended and ready to be laminated. Also the half ribs, shear webs, ball link CF control rods, triplers for on both sides of the nose with recessed tank and engine, adj. leadouts, weight box, etc. Looks like it's going to be near 40 ounces, so I'm going to use an fp.35.

Boy that looks like a real nice kit actually. Looking good Rusty!
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline RogerRamjet

• New Pilot
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 09:48:38 AM »

That's a sweet looking plane you're building Rusty. I bought a really nice Sig Twister rtf with an O.S. .35FP for $30.00 from a fellow R/C club member back in the 80's when I was a teenager. It was my first .35 size stunt ship and to me (stepping up from 1/2A and .15 size) it was like flying a Cadillac with the power of a Ferrari! I couldn't believe the pull on the lines and the smoothness of the controls! I was instantly hooked on the .35-.40 size ships. I learned how to do basic stunt with it before it met it's expiration date. Then from there, it was all Ringmasters, Shoestrings, Flite Streaks and later a Sky Ray. Seeing this thread as well as the other Twisters makes me want another one. I also have a Nobler ARF ready to fly with an O.S. .40LA that I converted to C/L from R/C. Hopefully I'll get a chance to fly it sometime soon. But I'm going to beef up the engine mount as suggested here first. Here is a pic of my Nobler hanging up in my shop.

Shawn

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 02:31:22 PM »
That's a sweet looking plane you're building Rusty. I bought a really nice Sig Twister rtf with an O.S. .35FP for $30.00 from a fellow R/C club member back in the 80's when I was a teenager. It was my first .35 size stunt ship and to me (stepping up from 1/2A and .15 size) it was like flying a Cadillac with the power of a Ferrari! I couldn't believe the pull on the lines and the smoothness of the controls! I was instantly hooked on the .35-.40 size ships. I learned how to do basic stunt with it before it met it's expiration date. Then from there, it was all Ringmasters, Shoestrings, Flite Streaks and later a Sky Ray. Seeing this thread as well as the other Twisters makes me want another one. I also have a Nobler ARF ready to fly with an O.S. .40LA that I converted to C/L from R/C. Hopefully I'll get a chance to fly it sometime soon. But I'm going to beef up the engine mount as suggested here first. Here is a pic of my Nobler hanging up in my shop.

Shawn
Shawn, that sounds so much like me.
Chris, I hope you're okay with us hijacking your thread about reinforcing Nobler motor mounts.

I was a lone 1/2A guy all my life, and when forums came to be, I learned how to make bladder fed Tee Dees and Norvels, breathing near deamonic life into my Flite Streaks and Stuntman 23s, and you know all the rest. In 2012 I didn't even know 35 planes existed till my 45' lines outgrew the churchyard across from my house and joined an RC club that was totally entertained with my freestyle screaming looping babys. In 2013 I met a re-treaded CL guy with a B-.40 powered Tutor who told me about Stunt, acquired a wrecked Goldberg Shoestring and never looked back. Entered my first contest and was given a Skyray that I flew into Intermediate and some extra engines that I still use. It's been the most fun I've ever had in my adult life. I finally managed a 1st place in Intermediate, but still don't belong in Advanced, and I want this Twister to be the tool that helps me get there. My body is failing fast, so my life goal is to Belong in Advanced, at any level, low or medium, it matters not.
Here she is as of last night. Got some cool colorful decals for it:
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 03:55:09 PM »
Leadouts done, I don't have the skill to make a cowl so the original will have to do. Pretty much all together #^, just have to put some decals on an find a entertaining pilot somewhere.

Chris,

You might want to get a lighter spinner ie. a plastic/al BP from Tower and use a wood prop. Personally I used an 11 X 4 Xoar or Vess. Can't remember where I got them but I'm sure an on line search will turn up something.

The LA 46 is a good engine for this plane and can be made to run the pattern on 3-1/2, 3-3/4 oz of fuel.

Also the stock LG is 1" to short. (I know I'm going to get some flak for this) The Green Box Nobler , which this is a copy has a pre bent LG and it is 1" longer than the one in the TF ARF kits. When the plans were drawn they shortened it to save paper (I believe) and that's why the shorter LG IMHO!

Let us know how it flies, Jerry

PS: I also radial mounted mine.

PPS: I've had three GBN's and the LG was the same in all of them.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 08:25:57 PM »
Shawn, that sounds so much like me.
Chris, I hope you're okay with us hijacking your thread about reinforcing Nobler motor mounts.

I was a lone 1/2A guy all my life, and when forums came to be, I learned how to make bladder fed Tee Dees and Norvels, breathing near deamonic life into my Flite Streaks and Stuntman 23s, and you know all the rest. In 2012 I didn't even know 35 planes existed till my 45' lines outgrew the churchyard across from my house and joined an RC club that was totally entertained with my freestyle screaming looping babys. In 2013 I met a re-treaded CL guy with a B-.40 powered Tutor who told me about Stunt, acquired a wrecked Goldberg Shoestring and never looked back. Entered my first contest and was given a Skyray that I flew into Intermediate and some extra engines that I still use. It's been the most fun I've ever had in my adult life. I finally managed a 1st place in Intermediate, but still don't belong in Advanced, and I want this Twister to be the tool that helps me get there. My body is failing fast, so my life goal is to Belong in Advanced, at any level, low or medium, it matters not.
Here she is as of last night. Got some cool colorful decals for it:

Hey whatever floats yinzes boat, or flys your airplanes!  ;D

Chris,

You might want to get a lighter spinner ie. a plastic/al BP from Tower and use a wood prop. Personally I used an 11 X 4 Xoar or Vess. Can't remember where I got them but I'm sure an on line search will turn up something.

The LA 46 is a good engine for this plane and can be made to run the pattern on 3-1/2, 3-3/4 oz of fuel.

Also the stock LG is 1" to short. (I know I'm going to get some flak for this) The Green Box Nobler , which this is a copy has a pre bent LG and it is 1" longer than the one in the TF ARF kits. When the plans were drawn they shortened it to save paper (I believe) and that's why the shorter LG IMHO!

Let us know how it flies, Jerry

PS: I also radial mounted mine.

PPS: I've had three GBN's and the LG was the same in all of them.

Hi, but I like my cool spinner :( I ended up bending new gear but I made it 1/2 longer, looks like it will clear before I start chewing dirt with the prop.

You put radial tires on yours (white walls out?) ???
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 02:47:50 PM »
Hey guys, remember the plane was designed when 10 inch props and Fox .35's were the norm.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 07:09:51 PM »
Well I finally put the finishing touches on it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out this weekend. Fingers crossed.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2016, 07:04:09 PM »
I'm having a vibration problem with this airplane.  I was running it like 4.8 sec laps an you could tell it was vibrating a little. I tried slowing it down 5.2 -5.4 sec laps an you can really feel the vibration in the handle. I tried 4 different props and the vibration was still there.  When I was running it fast it kind of hid the vibration. I just epoxied some plywood plates on the engine mounts an some other places. Has anyone had any vibration problems with the ARF Nobler?
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 11:05:39 PM »
Swap the spinner with a Great Planes plastic and make sure your props are really well balanced. Run at least 22% oil by volume with those bushed OS engines. You did use lots of epoxy gluing that whole motor mount beam front to back, wing to fuselage and tail, right?
I think those soft motor mounts and that big, heavy spinner could be a problem if for the some reason they have a bad harmonic. Easy to check by swapping the prop and spinner. Gotta balance stuff, for sure.
Chris...

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 03:00:45 AM »
Swap the spinner with a Great Planes plastic and make sure your props are really well balanced. Run at least 22% oil by volume with those bushed OS engines. You did use lots of epoxy gluing that whole motor mount beam front to back, wing to fuselage and tail, right?
I think those soft motor mounts and that big, heavy spinner could be a problem if for the some reason they have a bad harmonic. Easy to check by swapping the prop and spinner. Gotta balance stuff, for sure.
Chris...
The spinner was the first thing to go,  I just have a prop nut for now. I've tried a few props from working airplanes too. It was a ARF so the motor mounts were already attached, I tried beefing them up though.  Even just beefed them up some more so I'll have to try it again.  It feels like all 4 mounting screws are loose when it's in the air. Weird.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2016, 01:58:44 PM »
The spinner was the first thing to go,  I just have a prop nut for now. I've tried a few props from working airplanes too. It was a ARF so the motor mounts were already attached, I tried beefing them up though.  Even just beefed them up some more so I'll have to try it again.  It feels like all 4 mounting screws are loose when it's in the air. Weird.

They probably are loose after running a few minutes. When (if) you go to a radial mount (RC type), you will smell the wood and it is very different than ours. Totally stinks AFAIC!

With a radial mount you'll need to add a second 1/8" fire wall. I no longer have my Nobler (ARF) or I'd post some pictures.

Another thing I did was to use the "smaller" venturi from an LA 25. It's 6 MM.

Tight lines, Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here