News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:01:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combat Ringmaster Build and Review  (Read 3507 times)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Combat Ringmaster Build and Review
« on: May 26, 2016, 10:05:20 PM »
   ARF Ringmaster is coming together with one week to go.  Thought I would write my own review as I go along.

Model was covered pretty decent.  A heat gun tightened up the monokote-like stuff in a couple places but was otherwise happy.  Due to the time-crunch and lack of experience with electrics, I opted for Brodak's .25 package.  It comes with motor, ESC, timer, battery, charger and an APC prop of some flavor that I cannot remember.  My only complaint is that the charger is DC only...not a lot of car batteries with which to charge with in Kuwait, and talking to Brodak's customer service, it never occurred to anyone there to offer a AC adapter (???). I bought another charger that is AC capable and is on its way to Kuwait.

The elevator horn looks like what came with the stock S1 kit--way too short.  I cut a new one from 1/8" ply that that measures one inch.  The RSM RM kit offers both the stock and elongated horns, and the longer one was the ticket on my old warhorse so I more or less copied it.  Substituted the CA hinges for the nylon RC version.  Used the existing precut slots.  A small yet irritating note: the red trim running down the elevator/stab was WAY crooked!  Really messing with my ADD.  My daughter Clara even stopped in the shop to lend a hand for awhile!  ;D ;D ;D

The pushrods comes in 2 pieces: one already installed in the bell crank and the other packed with the rest of the hardware.  One is expected to join the two with this metal...thing and solder in place.  Between lack of soldering supplies in Kuwait and my general distrust of that setup, I cut up both pieces and incorporated a piece of Midwest CF tubing in the middle, making a much more reliable and stiffer setup.  It will have to stay in pieces to ship, and once I join them in Kuwait they will be epoxied and wrapped in copper wire for security.

I also stripped all the monotoke off of all the glue joints.  Trying to do as much as I can to it from the comfort of home.  Once everything is pinned up and test-fitted, it will come back apart, back into the box and head for the desert.

Stay tune for more!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Combat Ringmaster Build and Review
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 01:42:37 PM »
Your helper sure has grown and is a real cutie.   Remember stay safe over there and thanks for what you do. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 03:30:42 PM »
So, is she going to stop at President, or will she be joint chief of staff?

The Ring's looking good.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »
So, is she going to stop at President, or will she be joint chief of staff?

The Ring's looking good.

For right now, a 4th gen modeler 😄

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here