News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:18:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What should a Newbie do??  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Chuck Schultz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
What should a Newbie do??
« on: November 22, 2015, 07:02:06 AM »
Well here's my problem. I epoxied the horizontal stab. to the fuselage on my trainer, Sig Skyray yesterday. Got it lined up and level. Made sure the elevator was neutral, epoxied and pinned it in place. Later when I picked it up from the temp. jig I had made I noticed a very thin line of daylight between the rear 1/3 of the stab. and the fuselage. Holy C---! When I pushed the rear pin in to hold it in position It mus have lifted the stab about a mm off the fuselage. Now what to do. 1.cut the stab. from the fuselage & start over,2.
fill in the space with epoxy or 3.leave it as is and see how it flies in the spring ( it's now 29 degrees with several inches of snow on the ground. Also remember I'm a Total Newbie and I foresee many a crash in the learning curve! I might not even paint it because of the expected crashes and damage.Thanks for any ideas.
Chuck %^@

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
Re: What should a Newbie do??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 09:23:31 AM »
If you had used epoxy, I have heard and read that you can carefully use a heat gun to soften it up. This may be worth a look to see if you can get it to move to the right place or remove it and restart. Also by your description, it is very minimal and will probably fly just fine as I am sure there have been many things like this happen and they had flown fine. You may just need a slight bit of down elevator to keep flying level to make up for the lifted stab. I am no expert and I am sure others will chime in here. These answers are things I would try if it were me.

Offline Chuck Schultz

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 11:54:21 AM »
I'm thinking along the lines of C. Chorny.Leave it alone and see how it flys and then after the crash fix it H^^. Thanks guys.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »

if u do decide to cut it loose .rather than trying to break the glue loose make a slice in the fuse then either shim it or pull it down as needrd to level the stab
rad racer

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 01:56:34 PM »

if u do decide to cut it loose .rather than trying to break the glue loose make a slice in the fuse then either shim it or pull it down as needrd to level the stab

+1.  This also works if the stab is tilted side to side -- cut one side, correct with glue.  I usually cut a thin wedge out of the high side because that lets me use CA glue and leaves less of a divot in the finish, but cutting a wedge out of the low side and propping it open, then filling it with glue, also works.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 08:10:54 PM »
+1.  This also works if the stab is tilted side to side -- cut one side, correct with glue.  I usually cut a thin wedge out of the high side because that lets me use CA glue and leaves less of a divot in the finish, but cutting a wedge out of the low side and propping it open, then filling it with glue, also works.

Slice the fuse on the low side, then shove a 1/64 or 1/32" ply shim in the slice and recheck. Might even be able to use hard balsa. When satisfied, saturate with glue and sand smooth. A twist in a box fuselage can me removed in the same manor by cutting a diagonal slice in the proper direction and shimming. i learned this trick back in my sailplane and free flight days.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 07:34:19 AM »
If you leave it and the angle is excessive, you may learn the meaning of "Porpoise". We all have probably had one of those.  ;D

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here