News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:40:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ToughBaby Plans  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Phillip Kenney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
ToughBaby Plans
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
AI have seen eference and one video of the Toughbaby used at Kidventure, I have not seen a link to the plans for the plane. In the video Bob states it is basically a platter cut to look like a plane, which it does, but I'd like to find some more detailed info on the construction, the beam for holding it together, the size etc, If anybody has such info they could send mne I would appreciate it or a link to where such info may be hiding?

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ToughBaby Plans
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 05:10:22 PM »
This is not the plane you mentioned but it is a platter I designed for the 4H. It is made of corplast and is incredibly tough. We have built them both electric and glow.

Offline Phillip Kenney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 06:30:46 PM »
Thanks, it is interesting but for several reasons I would like to build one of the Toughbaby's

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 07:24:55 PM »
   Hi Phillip;
     I'll be sending you an email with a file for the ToughBaby and the other two coreplast models that we sent to people who signed up for them at the KidVenture circles. It's been a very reliable and durable airplane for the purpose it was designed for.
    I had been attending Oshkosh and volunteering for KidVenture for several years and Bob Arata started riding along. At the time we were using SIG 1/2A Skyrays, Bratco Skybabies, and some Cox PT-19 trainers but it was apparent that the endeavor needed a better model. For several years on the long ride home, Bob and I would discuss what the model needed to be and what it didn't need to be. One thing we learned in talking to people was that most people had no access to a hobby shop and it needed to be built from common materials available anywhere, except of course the engine and bell crank, which could be bought on line. Then, of course, it needed to be tough, crash survivable, stable an fly well. It did not need to be a stunt model or really look like anything. Bob did the original construction using political yard sign material that the good people of St. Louis County provided one year after the primary elections, hardware store materials and some scraps from his job at a local airport. We designed and sized it to be powered by the Norvel .061, as we had lots of these at KidVenture thanks to SIG Mfg. For that and a few other reasons, he just used the outline of the Bratco Skybaby for the airframe. It just clamps between a top and bottom piece, which also serves as the base for the bell crank. Fuselage parts have been made from all sorts of different wood products. No real need to paint or fuel proof anything either. If the wings or control surfaces get damaged at all, just unbolt the fuselage pieces, take out the old, and put in the new. We took the original 5 models to Oshkosh in 2010 and they have been in continuous use ever since, surviving anywhere from 10,000 to 12,000 flights between them! I think that qualifies the model to wear it's name, ToughBaby!
   Check your email for the letter and the files.
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline larry gliz

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 08:03:20 PM »
is it possible for me to get the plans for the tough Baby ?

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 08:32:38 PM »
Have a need for such a plane.
Please forward a set of plans if possible.
Many thanks & "Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline RogerRamjet

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 09:59:26 PM »
Sounds like an interesting plane. Any pics or links? I tried searching for it but all searches came up empty.

Shawn

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 03:21:29 PM »
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here