News:

• April 24, 2024, 03:08:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phoenix Musciano contest, October 22 & 23 2016  (Read 6288 times)

Jim Roselle

• Trade Count: (0)
Phoenix Musciano contest, October 22 & 23 2016
« on: April 16, 2016, 05:23:21 PM »
Central Arizona Control line Club and the Cholla Choppers are running a Musciano contest along with 1cc Multi Engine Scale. The contest will be held in Phoenix October 22 & 23. Rules are attached.

As mentioned in the 1cc scale post I am working on securing a block of discounted  rooms at the Sheraton Crescent which is within walking distance of the contest site. I will know pricing later this week.

Come enjoy the late October Arizona weather and have some Big 1/2a fun!

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: Phoenix Musciano contest, October 22 & 23 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 05:20:48 PM »
I just realized I never built a Scientific ship that was legal for this event as a kid, I had the built ups. I didn't realize the event was restricted to just Walt's kits by Scientific before, I built Top Flight, Sig and Enterprise kits too. maybe there was another event somewhere in which they were included.
Cool event, I think I will participate!
Chris...

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 08:32:39 PM »
There 3 kits that will qualify for this contest listed in the Classified section by Black Hawk Models  AT LOW CLOSE OUT PRICES!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 08:44:30 AM »
Musciano events are just for the hollow logs with sheet wood wings.  That's what makes the stunt a challenge.  I liked the Cadet, which had a built up wing and a box fuselage.  A good stunter with a Black Widow.
Paul Smith

Jim Roselle

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 05:23:26 AM »
Plans for the twin mustang just went up on Outerzone.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7655

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 06:33:35 AM »
There was one around here that won a Hollow Log speed event. 
Built by Currell Pattie.
As was learned the hard way, there is a lot of stress between the two engines of a fast twin.
Paul Smith

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 09:52:40 AM »
Central Arizona Control line Club and the Cholla Choppers are running a Musciano contest along with 1cc Multi Engine Scale. The contest will be held in Phoenix October 22 & 23. Rules are attached. As mentioned in the 1cc scale post I am working on securing a block of discounted  rooms at the Sheraton Crescent which is within walking distance of the contest site. I will know pricing later this week. Come enjoy the late October Arizona weather and have some Big 1/2a fun!
Thanks for posting. I grew up with Scientific CL and FF rubber kits, they were neat. Might attend if no conflicts arise. Too bad they don't allow Gilbert .074 Thunderheads, power akin to sport .049 reedies due to side porting (uses piston skirt for valving).

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 04:16:48 PM »
The real standard of the hollow log was the Babe Bee taken out of a plastic nasty.
Golden Bee, Super Bee, Black Widow,,,OK.
Enough is enough.
I'm not so sure the Fox .049's should be allowed, based on their late appearance success in speed.

I do not foresee running an event.  But if I did it would be limited to Cox reed valve engines in the spirit of Walter A Musciano and the genuine Scientific hollow log.
Paul Smith

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 08:33:15 PM »
I do not foresee running an event. But if I did it would be limited to Cox reed valve engines in the spirit of Walter A Musciano and the genuine Scientific hollow log.

Many of the Musiciano Scientific plans show .049 OK Cubs, later showed the Cox .049 reedies with tank. I think it would be fairer to say that sport engines must be used, which as per current rules eliminates Tee Dees, Killer Bee reedies, etc. I think it should not include Medallions. However, I think it would be fair to include the Cox .020 Tee Dee, as power is sport .049 like. The OK Cubs are not that powerful, hence why Cox with their better power although reed valve and cheaper manufacturing techniques with high quality dominated the sport flier market. The Wen Mac and McCoy .049's were also sport like, akin to a Cox Babe Bee.

Reason why I mention the Gilbert .074, is that it is an era engine, and it's power is akin to a reed valve .049. Many of Walt's plans state for .020 - .074, some .020 - .099, for some of the earlier lame powered .099's. (The Fox Rocket .09 comes to mind, although it is tad but not much more powerful and beyond reason to include in this discussion.)

Retaining sport engines keeps it a fun flying event eligible for all to attend. Regarding external fuel tank, these are easy to add and make it work with the Musciano kits. Some kits of the 1960's came with a balsa block to allow Cox .020 Pee Wee to be mounted within the cowling, which would also with trimming be a suitable spacer for shorter tankless engines. Some of the kit marketing photos and box art show a tankless engine on front like one of the OK Cubs, for example, Li'l Devil. (Can't remember off-hand, there was "A" and "B", one had a tank, the other didn't.)

It's all in fun, and to see what modeling was like 50 - 60 years ago. Anyway, that is my personal opinion, for what it is worth. And personally I wouldn't mind seeing the event expanded to Walt's 1/2-A profile models as well as built up fuselage. Back 50 - 60 years ago, to me they were different building techniques, but of the same class, because after all they were all or nearly all were Walt Musicano designs.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »
The OK Cub .049A came with attached fuel tank.   The OK Cub .049B came with a smaller tank that attached to the back plate and were beam mount engines.  I think the .049A was the only engine in their line that was not a beam mount.  They did have quit a few sizes of engines.  I think they did try a reed valve that was not too successful.  Still have my little .049A some where in the shop.   Guess that is the reason I got away with flying on 25 foot lines in the back yard.  My favorite was the American Boy.   Looking for some thing else I found an original kit in the shop.   Even has lines and handle.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »
The most recent Brodak Control Line World has a new and significantly-revised set of hollow log rules.   I don't know who is using these "new" rules, but they are enough different to drive some equipment decisions, if not the decision to enter of not.

The overall points for the combined winner have been expanded from the top 3 in each event to the top 10.  This is a good thing because it lets 10 people feel that they scored points and not just 3. 
Under the old top 3 scheme people figured out that they wouldn't be in the top three of an event and didn't fly it.

The event list has been changed from craftsmanship, stunt, speed and RACING to craftsmanship, stunt, speed and SCALE.
This is huge.  Under the old rules flyers dominated three events and conceded one builders.  In the past some felt that they were essentially giving both speed and racing to the same three people.

Now with scale & craftsmanship the same condition exists the opposite way. A winning scale entry will also do well in craftsmanship.  So now they have two flying events and two static events. 

Hollow logs are cheap & easy to build.  So those who like the new rules can build a dedicated scale job easy enough.  It can double as a craftsmanship entry.  But those who built a racer or a non-scale craftsmanship plane are stuck.
Paul Smith

Jim Roselle

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 06:39:33 PM »
I got mine!

Jim Roselle

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 07:23:39 AM »
Flyer and discount hotel info for this event here:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/event's/phoenix-carrier-plus-xlx-oct-22-23/