News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:22:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Design I'm Kicking Around  (Read 5057 times)

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
New Design I'm Kicking Around
« on: February 17, 2017, 04:10:42 PM »
Hi, all.

This is just a preliminary 1/2A design I'm kicking around.  It's an elliptical wing with pseudo I-Beam construction with inspiration from the Tercel (moments) and Spitfire (wing shape).  The airfoil is my own with true elliptical leading edge to high point, and smooth arcs from high point to trailing edge.

My thoughts are to use a Norvel BigMig .061 (what I have on hand) but could accommodate up to a .10 or .12 easy enough, with a balloon tank, or perhaps a 2oz. clunk tank.

The name is Mi Sonrisa, named after my wife.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: New Design I'm Kicking Around
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »
Sort of marrying the best of WWII with the modern jet age....very cool H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Mike Bufkin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 05:31:27 AM »
Like !!!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 10:15:39 PM »
Outstanding!

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 04:42:35 AM »
Hi, all.

This is just a preliminary 1/2A design I'm kicking around.  It's an elliptical wing with pseudo I-Beam construction with inspiration from the Tercel (moments) and Spitfire (wing shape).  The airfoil is my own with true elliptical leading edge to high point, and smooth arcs from high point to trailing edge.

My thoughts are to use a Norvel BigMig .061 (what I have on hand) but could accommodate up to a .10 or .12 easy enough, with a balloon tank, or perhaps a 2oz. clunk tank.

The name is Mi Sonrisa, named after my wife.

I like the top-view very much! The profile look to me needs the canopy moved back and the fin/rudder re-shaped.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 06:58:36 AM »
Begs for a NV074.  Too much offset.  Whats the area ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Re: New Design I'm Kicking Around
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »
Begs for a NV074.  Too much offset.  Whats the area ?
The offset, for now, is 3°, and yeah, it looks to be a bit much. The area is neighborhood of 250-260 squares.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

EDIT 02/20/17: Ok, just checked it's 260.5" sq. I've changed the engine offset back to 0°.  This is still in the design stage, figuring out how I'm going to do some of the internals, but I'm hoping that I can use my BigMig .061.  If not, well, I'll have to get a bigger engine.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:01:17 PM by Steve Berry »

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »
Nice looking design. I'd triangulate open fuselage area though - should then be stiffer, more torque resistant, and less subject to warping. 'just a FWIW.

SK

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 11:01:35 AM »
Nice looking design. I'd triangulate open fuselage area though - should then be stiffer, more torque resistant, and less subject to warping. 'just a FWIW.

SK

I'm actually thinking of making it a 3 piece fuselage. Center section 1/8" and outer skins 1/16", with opposed cutouts (that is, cutout slanting towards back in middle & towards front on the outer skins.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 05:20:54 PM »
I like the top-view very much! The profile look to me needs the canopy moved back and the fin/rudder re-shaped.

I'm in this camp.  Love the wing and tail elliptical shapes, but think it would be killer with a more classic styling on fuse profile.  Thinking along the lines of Joe Adamusko's  Stuntress.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »
Alright. Been thinking about the suggestions.  I've restyled the fuselage, keeping the old one for a future design, to be more in line with "classic" styling.  Let me know what you think.

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
Alright. Been thinking about the suggestions.  I've restyled the fuselage, keeping the old one for a future design, to be more in line with "classic" styling.  Let me know what you think.

Re: "The name is Mi Sonrisa, named after my wife." Keep the name Mi Sonrisa and drop the MKII, sounds much better. No matter how many changes keep the airplane name the same and instead version and timestamp the plan.

I like what you are doing when you reach a final I'm tempted to build one too. The only changes I see are: make the canopy larger and reshape the fin/rudder to look like the wing and stab/elevator tips.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
Fuse much better, cant handle that rudder.  Agree with CL-flyer on this "The only changes I see are: make the canopy larger and reshape the fin/rudder to look like the wing and stab/elevator tips."
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »
To all: Here is my (hopefully) final rendition of the MiSonrisa 1/2A stunter.  About all that's left is pulling out all the parts and drawing up any needed details for building.  I'm also in the process of building a solid 3D model of it in Inventor so that I can more accurately produce the ribs (think of it as a digital version of the lost foam method) and work out the geometry (25° up/down for flaps, 35° up/down for elevators).  For now, I have a custom 2.5" bellcrank, but may, for ease of use, bump it to either 2" or 3" - not real sure which way.  I'd prefer 3" but the wing is running out of space, real fast.

One other detail that may not be apparent is this. It does have a built-up I-beam spar, with the center piece being 1/8" basswood with 1/16" doublers in the center. It also is using (2) 1/4" thick center ribs glued directly to the fuselage on either side to provide an edge for the covering. The built-up trailing edge, flaps, stabilizer, & elevators, all have 1/32" balsa in the middle that will already have hinge pockets cut out (I hate cutting those things!).

I'd like to go with wing mounted landing gear, but I've never done that before, so for now, I'm sticking with what I know - fuse mounted.  Tail skid - a little undecided on that one.  I think a simple piece of 1/16" music wire would work so that a loop could be fashioned in the end for stooge launching.

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 08:16:49 AM »
For the wing landing gear look at an Ares plan which has an I-beam and it's simple system.

Ares 
by Bill Werwage
http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4884

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 09:14:12 AM »
Two air scoops ?  Loose the one under the wing..  Stab/elev location too high in fuse.  Rudder still to small, its front should be even with front edge of stab.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
Okay, my two cents.  I like the fuse on the Mi Sonrisa MKII. The low slung canopy gives it a mean, aggressive look.  Now just match that fuselage with the fin/rudder of your first drawing, and it'd be awesome.

Mark

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »
Try these out.  I've got a total of 12 different profiles now. Two fuselage shapes, two canopy outlines, and 3 rudders for each. 

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 10:57:41 AM »
Top view reminds me a lot of a Dixon Charisma.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here