News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:26:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lil Satin  (Read 3951 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Lil Satin
« on: November 28, 2016, 11:18:35 AM »
This should have been done the first week I had the kit.   Way last spring I bought a kit off the bay from a gentleman by the name of Henry Shun out in Hawaii Islands.   He sent this kit along with my purchase and asked me if I would build it.  It is ready for test flights.  As you can see it has one of my super duper finishes.   Scrap of Monokote I had laying around and Brodak clear dope.   Power is TeeDee .049 being fed with one of my metal tanks.  Two line tank, fill through the while holding the plane nose down.  No I did not weigh it.  Need to finish attaching the Spectra lines to it.  Don't know when I will get it air borne.

By the way his kits are hand cut and I have built a couple of them.   I think this is his foray into 1/2A.   The Shrunk Bosta and Sneaker are .15 size.   I had them at the Tulsa meet but didn't get to fly them and they fly great.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
Re: Lil Satin
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 03:01:46 PM »
Nice little build. Seems to me that I recall a post somewhere from the gentleman you are referring to some time back. Glad it worked out for you.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 03:04:03 PM »
I forgot to add that the Lil' Satan is one of my favorite little planes. I will one day build myself one.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »

Just redid mine.

Cut open..put steel leadouts...recover to the best of my ability... thank goodness for shadows lol!!

Really want to get another!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 05:27:53 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun.  I have a combat kitten waiting to be built.

Phil

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Re: Lil Satin
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 05:28:53 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun.  I have a combat kitten waiting to be built.

Phil
Top flite or Pat Kings?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Ed Rafferty

• Greywulf4570
  • New Pilot
  • Shoestring, Thunderbird, Gladiator, are my planes
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:58:10 AM »
Great airframe!  The Lil Satan is airplane I originally learned to fly with coupled to a baby Bee .049.  In an empty field in Lafayette La. in 1968.  the kit was about 2.00 .  I held on to that airframe and flew it for at least 5 years in various re-coverings.  I always used silkspan for a covering.  Experimenting with it , I moved the elevator spars out to the next wider rib stations, and made the elevator likewise longer , probably 2x longer than the original elevator , but I did not make it any wider.

The result of that experiment made the plane  turn the tightest loops, about half the diameter of those using the standard size elevator.   From that point, I learned to fly upside down, and the stunt competition pattern.

I began using the 6/4 propellers, but found the 5 1/4  / 4 to be faster.  That is , if you find yourself  flying along with another flyer in the circle,  faster is more fun. and  I might ad  Dizzy.  Cheers!!

Jim Roselle

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 11:00:12 AM »
Henry makes great hand cut kits. I've built 2 of his lil Satans and have a 1/2a bosta of his I need to build.

Jim

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 03:20:30 PM »
I heard that Henry passed away. He was a really good guy and combat supporter along with his buddies there.

K

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
If that is true, it would explain why I haven't heard from him.  I too have built several of his kits.  A little rough but buildable and prices were right. 

Now as far as making the stab longer, I had a 1/2A Omega many, many years ago that would not turn a loop.  My brother suggested making a bigger elevator and what a difference. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here