News:

• March 29, 2024, 12:53:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DPC Scientific Hellcat & OK Cub .049R  (Read 5665 times)

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
DPC Scientific Hellcat & OK Cub .049R
« on: August 24, 2016, 12:04:26 PM »
Dane Martin freely sent me a prized gift a few days ago, a prized OK Cub .049R engine. Speaking about his kind and free willing spirit, this is not a good condition used engine, it is new! For an OK Cub, this long stroke engine has extremely good compression. It is the reed valve engine, which I have heard is actually a decent performing engine. Comparing to the Cox .049 tank backed engine, this engine has the same bolt pattern, thus it is a direct drop in.

Many thanks, Bro. Dane. I have attached photos of a DPC, Farmington, NM retro-kit I've been working on for the past 2 years. It sat on a shelf for a year. I was undecided what engine should I use to power it. Now, I have a period correct engine for it. Although the Walt Musciano kit was released by Scientific in 1964, OK Cubs were still being sold. Many earlier Scientific 1/2-A CL kits show an OK Cub .049A on the plans. Scientific shows a Cox Babe Bee.

Why does this kit have a special place in my heart? 50 some years ago, I got the kit as a birthday gift when I was in 4th or 5th grade, mid 1960's. That had a Cox .020 Pee Wee. It was my first (but not last) experience with silkspan to cover the wing. Prior to it I built several rubber powered stick and tissue kits, so was already familiar with covering. I built it and painted it with dark blue dope. We may see the reliving of the battle of the Philippine Sea soon. ~>

Offline goozgog

• Captain
Re: DPC Scientific Hellcat & OK Cub .049R
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 02:41:07 PM »
George, That looks great!  

I was unaware of that Scientific design
with the vacuum formed deck. It was the sort of thing
that I loved as a kid. Opening the kit box and seeing
cool parts.

Cheers! - K.
Keith Morgan

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:15:32 PM »

That's cool, please keep us posted on the build. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
George,
When we were on the phone and you said scientific kit,  I thought to myself "self,  you have a scientific kit". Sooooo I wandered out to the garage (tiny) and dug around. As it turns out, I had 4 scientific kits! Re-pros I'm sure.  And one is a dauntless!
I'll probably build the stunt champ in a few months. It looks promising.

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 04:39:22 AM »
Is anyone still making the re-pros?
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 05:57:31 AM »
David Cowell's website is: http://dpcmodels.homestead.com/ He also posts as skyraider on http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/

Although he doesn't advertise them on his Aerowerkes website, he does make such repos. I'd contact him if I were you. He also made a Sterling profile 1/2-A Lockheed P-38 for a gal, Brenda who builds 1/2-A control line aircraft. She has an article on it on Hip Pocket. David has a notice on his website that he is not accepting orders September 15 through November 10, so you might want to contact him right away.

Incidently, Tony G on Stuka Stunt pointed out that there were 2 versions of the OK "R". Sure enough, I put it along side an OK Cub .049A that I have on a CG Swordsman 18. The tank on back is the same size as the .049A. The engine is about 1/4" taller than the "A". I surmise I have the .06R. Dane mentioned it as a .059, which I thought was a typo, apparently not. Haven't weighed it, but probably is very close to the "A", just a minor touch more. This would then explain why its power is decent for a half-A.

It will probably move any aircraft powered by it as spritely as the Cox reedies.

Hobby King USA West outlet has a limited number of Black Hawk Musiciano Scientific "hollow log" half-A CL kits for sale. As Larry Rice has discontinued production, once they are gone, they are gone.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 12:01:27 PM »
George,  I was thinking maybe it's this engine....
What do you think

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 12:17:43 PM »
Dane, the .059R does seem to be a reasonable match. The one in the photo has the OK glow head instead of the glow plug head. I understand this was an option. The 2015 OK Engine Parts price list states it as the .06R. So, it appears that they may have used the designations interchangeably. I notice the engine you gave me has a slightly different and shorter prop thrust plate than the 1960 one. I'm wondering if it may be a later version, has a shorter 5-40 prop screw like the Cox reedies.

I found the plastic needle valve friction collar works best if tang is oriented between the fuel tank fill / overflow nipples.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 10:22:39 PM »
Is anyone still making the re-pros?
Dave Cowel's Typhoon and FW-190:

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
The Zipper had the plastic top, too.  I'm not so happy about how I got glued-on.

I was able to paint from the inside, which wasn't easy.
Paul Smith

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 01:29:19 PM »
I gots me this here waiting to be built. Bought it locally last year on our version of Craigslist.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 02:32:03 PM »
Built it or bay it.

Here's the Zipper with the plastic top.  This plane, like some of my others, was a rescue rehab of a homeless model dropped off at the local senior citizens special.  The assembly had been bungled and I needed to dissolve the glue and go back to square one.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:16:21 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »
Mr. Chancey,

You have a PM.

I gots me this here waiting to be built. Bought it locally last year on our version of Craigslist.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 07:07:33 PM »

George,

Did the Hellcat ever get finished?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member