News:

• April 25, 2024, 12:27:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodack Li'l Jumpin' Bean  (Read 26209 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Brodack Li'l Jumpin' Bean
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2017, 01:38:02 PM »
I gotta tell ya...Shawn Cook flew the wings off of a Lil Jumping Bean yesterday at the Philly shindig. It was a thing of beauty!

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2017, 04:44:17 PM »
Shawn would be a good one to wring it out.

I flew the wings off of mine, literally. I resurrected it with twin tail booms, fixed flaps and a Norvel .061. Called it the Refried Bean.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2017, 09:38:38 PM »
Looks like a nice home-cut kit. I don't recognize some of the pieces compared to the Brodak kit I built, but that's no concern. I would rather have one that allowed a beam mounted engine so I could run a Medallion or a Tee Dee. Or a Brodak .049, which would not be my choice, but it is for a lot of people.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Paul_BB

• Ensign
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2017, 07:24:30 AM »
OK my Lil' bean is almost finished. I sprayed the clear yesterday and I only need to glue the wing on and paint the wheels. I'll post a photo of her once finished. I found an old worn out Babe Bee on eBay, that will help me not get too much dizzy after 40 years of CL flying interruption.  <=

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2017, 01:22:07 PM »
A rather mild baby bee will pull a 'bean just fine.  I flew mine on a single bypass baby bee growing up. There isn't much more mild.  Even on this weak engine, with 35 ft lines, it will do any stunt you ask as long as the engine is running healthy.

On a mild bee, a 6x3 prop will preform better than a 5x3 prop, unless a rubber ducky, then a 6x4 as it will flatten and loose pitch.  The larger diameter will provide more thrust, at a loss of RPM vs the smaller size.  On a mild baby bee the rpm loss is not that much as the engine won't spool up to the higher RPM that a more performance setup will provide. 

Phil

Offline Paul_BB

• Ensign
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2017, 07:07:30 AM »
On a mild bee, a 6x3 prop will preform better than a 5x3 prop, unless a rubber ducky, then a 6x4 as it will flatten and loose pitch.  The larger diameter will provide more thrust, at a loss of RPM vs the smaller size.  On a mild baby bee the rpm loss is not that much as the engine won't spool up to the higher RPM that a more performance setup will provide.

Thanks for the tip Phil.  :)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
A rather mild baby bee will pull a 'bean just fine.  I flew mine on a single bypass baby bee growing up. There isn't much more mild.  Even on this weak engine, with 35 ft lines, it will do any stunt you ask as long as the engine is running healthy.

Phil

I can confirm that a Lil Jumpin Bean with a Golden Bee and a 6-3 prop will do the entire AMA stunt pattern, if trimmed correctly. In fact, the week before my first contest, I probably put in 25+ patterns with that combination because I could fly it in the empty lot next door. It *will not* do it to the specified dimensions, but that's sort of beside the point for 1/2A.

Brett

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2017, 08:43:41 PM »

The 'Lil Jumpin' Bean was the first C/L model I ever built. It was the progression from my Cox planes, the PT-19 and then a magenta Super Sport. My Bean ended up with a Tee Dee .051 on it running Missile Mist and flying with Dacron lines because that's all our so-called LHS had at the time. I didn't know any better, I just remember flying the heck out of that little bugger and having a blast with it.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2017, 09:55:15 AM »
Boy how did we manage flying with the dacron lines that came in some of the kits as well as the fibre type material used for a handle.   Lines tied to the bell crank and handle was the storage place for the lines.  I guess that is why I got by with 25 foot lines in the side yard of the place we lived.   Would you believe an old kitchen table was my launching pad with my version of a stooge release.   A lot of good flights with Scientific American Boy with OK Cub .049A. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul_BB

• Ensign
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2017, 03:40:09 AM »
OK guys, my Lil' Bean is finished. The Babe Bee is old, it has the Thimble Drome mark on the tank. The spinner comes from a Golden Bee.

I realized that the crankshaft fits inside the crankcase with a lot of slack. I suppose that this will bring a lot of vibration? I'll try the motor on a bench first. I may have to buy a crankcase, crankshaft, cylinder and piston at Cox International.

Offline Mike Bufkin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2017, 04:23:46 AM »
That's very nice !!!!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2017, 10:23:30 AM »
That looks great.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2017, 01:30:37 PM »
...I realized that the crankshaft fits inside the crankcase with a lot of slack. I suppose that this will bring a lot of vibration? I'll try the motor on a bench first. I may have to buy a crankcase, crankshaft, cylinder and piston at Cox International.
Paul, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of crankcases.
That's a Super Bee with the "Thimble Drome" stamp on it. Could have come out of an old plastic P-40. It has a dual bypass cylinder and should have good power for your Bean.

That's a really nice looking build.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Paul_BB

• Ensign
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2017, 10:19:44 PM »
Thanks everybody, I had a lot of fun building the Lil' Bean. Thanks for your support and advices.  H^^

Rusty, I've PMed you but I'm not sure the message has reached you.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »
It did. Thanks.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2017, 05:32:20 AM »
              Paul, that's outstanding. It just looks great. Nice color scheme and I'm certain your going to be more than impressed. Ken

Offline Paul_BB

• Ensign
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2017, 05:44:44 AM »
Thanks Ken. This Brodak kit was meant for a beam mounted .049. The plastic radial mount is not good looking and I wanted the Lil' Bean to look like the one I had in 1976, that's why I added the cheeks. I got lucky and it turned out well.  :)

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2017, 06:28:43 AM »
Thanks Ken. This Brodak kit was meant for a beam mounted .049. The plastic radial mount is not good looking and I wanted the Lil' Bean to look like the one I had in 1976, that's why I added the cheeks. I got lucky and it turned out well.  :)
That ain't luck.  That is nice work.
Phil

Offline Paul_BB

• Ensign
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2017, 07:11:48 AM »
Thanks Phil.  :)

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2017, 10:21:54 AM »
Paul BB

On the Cox Engines Forum (CEF) a long while back--- Rusty AKA "RknRusty" showed off his Lil Jumpin Bean Bash and literally dozens of members got the jaz to build Lil Beans

It got to be quite comical with all the different "Me Too" builds

I procrastinated for ever but finally pulled my Brodak kit down

I personally think it was the very most challenging kit ever for me to build and I am not too much pleased with how mine turned out

BTW do NOT be tempted to put a Norvel .061 on the nose with a combat prop like I did...I certify it WILL SCREW you into the center of your circle with 2 second laps on 38' lines

OK all the BS aside... I sure do wish I could build as pretty a Bean as you did.. I like it!
Good work old man
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Paul_BB

• Ensign
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2017, 10:01:17 PM »
Thanks Fred,

Of all the 1/2A CL kits the Lil' Bean is the cutest, at least that's what I think. I'm sure I'll build another one. I flew my first Lil' Bean in Canada when I was young, but now I live in France and nobody here knows about the Lil' Bean, so I was happy to find the Stunthangar control line forum and you guys.

Next time I will glue some silkspan on the fuselage and stabilizers during the finishing process because I haven't had any issues with the CG location (I thought it would be tail heavy). I've had a heck of a time keeping the balsa grain invisible, it kept popping up. :)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2017, 08:45:49 PM »
Your Bean looks great! I hope mine can look even half as good as yours. All ready to paint but just gotta find the time. Hopefully soon now that the weather is nicer.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »
Just takes more clear and light sanding to get rid of the grain with maybe a touch of talcum powder added to the dope.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul_BB

• Ensign
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »
Thanks Chancey, I wish you good luck.

John, I tried the talcum powder, but what I think happened is that each time I applied a new coat of dope with my brush, the brush strokes dissolved the previous coat exposing the wood grain. Maybe my dope is out of date. Next time I will spray the last coats.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »
Paul BB

When I am filling grain... I tend to prefer the zink sterate from Randy Smith but have used Talc and cornstarch as filler

I first lightly sand all the balsa...then I just SLATHER ON the first of several coast of Nitrate or Butyrate dope n filler mix

I think at this stage I am thinning only 60/40 and NOT caring a bit about brush strokes of self leveling... MOSTLY because, once it dries I intend to sand almost all of it off

Once I get only 2 to 3 coats I can tell the grain is filled, the fuzzes sanded off with 400 grit, and there is enough dope remaining that sort of is shiny--- to let the paper/tissue/span/silk... soften and glue down with my 70/30 dope "perimeter glue"

I shy away from transparent coverings as--- IMO -----they require the ENTIRE wood construction to be CRAFTSMAN perfect with ZERO lifts, gaps, or funky glue joints ANYWHERE

That all said...your photos of the yellow transparent Bean look pretty darned good

Fred von Gortler IV

Jim Roselle

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »
I really like Midwest sanding sealer. I apply 2 coats lightly thinned dope sanded between coats, carbon veil, then 2-3 coats sanding sealer. I just started using the carbon veil and I love it, very easy to work with, goes around compound curves great.

Jim

Offline Paul_BB

• Ensign
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »
Thanks MM, Fred and Jim.  :)

Fred, the photo is not in high resolution, and some filler can be seen between the leading edge and the lower sheeting. I also messed up a little the wing tips because this yellow transparent film is light and does not conform to wing tips as well as Monokote does.

Jim thanks for the carbon veil tip.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2017, 10:40:29 AM »
I have and use:
.02 carbon Fiber (tissue)/(veil) as well as CF .05 stuff
and Fiber glass in both of the very lite weights from Sig
plenty of Oriental(PC grin) Tissue...some questionable and some tru Esaki
I also keep a lot of silk in 5MM and 8MM on hand
And no doubt we all have some stash of good Silkspan and the new lesser versions
Add to that the Polyspans, Dave Brown SkyLoft,  and a whole lot of just plain old JoAnn's fabric dress lining

I guess what I am getting at is ------THERE are a LOT of ways to seal Balsa for strength or grain hiding

I tend to use the liquids with filler for wing structures and cloths and fillers for the fuse-- or other solid structures...
Some times the idea is anti twist...sometimes just wood filling

The true beauty of most of these is... if it sux....sand it off

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Paul_BB

• Ensign
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2017, 09:16:16 PM »
Thanks for all the tips Fred. I have viewed some of Windy Urtownsky's videos to find some inspiration. I suppose the most important is to find one's own best finishing method.  :)

Offline Paul_BB

• Ensign
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2017, 02:24:42 AM »
I have broken in a new Cox Babe Bee from Cox International. And also have built a launch stooge. I should maiden the Lil' Bean Wednesday.
I have prepared 30 foot of control line but I have a question: how do you store the line? Do you wind it around some kind of reel?

When I was young I used to wind the line around my Cox handle but I suppose I am grown up and should know better. ;)

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2017, 07:09:45 AM »
It really depends on the line.  If you are using Spectra fishing line, roll it up on the handle or on a reel, or cut some plastic (or even cardboard if nothing else is available) to make a flat line holder.  Dacron can be treated like Spectra, but it is so stretchy I would recommend 20# Power Pro fishing line instead.  If you are using wire store it on a round spool like it probably shipped on. 

Phil

Offline Paul_BB

• Ensign
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2017, 09:54:29 PM »
OK, thanks Phil. I use Dacron.  :)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here