News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:56:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2016 "Tuscon" 1cc Multi Engine Scale Oct. 22-23  (Read 6850 times)

Jim Roselle

• Trade Count: (0)
2016 "Tuscon" 1cc Multi Engine Scale Oct. 22-23
« on: April 16, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »
Attached are rules for the 2016 "Tucson" 1cc Multi Engine Scale contest.
 There are two big changes for this year.

1. The contest is being held in Phoenix this year, October 22 & 23.

2. Single engine entries will be allowed in both limited and unlimited categories.

Single engine will run as its own class with awards for 1st-3rd in both limited and unlimited. The "more than two engines" option will be replaced with an "open" option that is subject to judges approval.  Single engine entries will not be eligible for the Plank and Pilots Choice awards.

I am working on getting a block of discounted rooms at the Sheraton Crescent which is within walking distance of the contest, I should have pricing by the end of next week. If you are planning on traveling to the contest PM me so I can get an idea of how many rooms to block.

Keep in mind if that time of year starts to get cold where you live it will be in the 80's out here, and the hotel has a beautiful pool!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:17:33 PM by Jim Roselle »

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: 2016 "Tuscon" 1cc Multi Engine Scale Oct. 22-23
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »

why are they Screwing with the Limited rules, most of the Limited ships already built cant do more than a clime and dive
rad racer

Jim Roselle

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 06:42:46 PM »

why are they Screwing with the Limited rules, most of the Limited ships already built cant do more than a clime and dive

Good point. The wingover is as high as you can make it, not a true stunt wingover. The lazy eight is also not a stunt lazy eight. A single lap would have two high points and two low points, 12oclock and 6oclock as high as possible, 3 and 9oclock as low as possible.

I failed to mention that in single engine classes the "more than two engines" option is replaced with an open option so that the inside loop is not mandatory. I've edited the original post to include that information.

I hope that clears things up,

Jim

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 05:15:52 PM »
You're a brave man, Jim. Good show.
What is the venue and how is the circle surface condition?
Chris...

Jim Roselle

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 05:52:55 PM »

What is the venue and how is the circle surface condition?
Chris...

Hey Chris,

The venue is Castles & Coasters auxiliary parking at Metro Center.  We have a swath of parking lot that's in great shape with room for three circles. Musciano/Scale one one, speed and carrier on the other two.

Are you building something for 1cc scale? You could do a single engine so I'm not the only one!

Jim

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 09:22:23 PM »
So much for the original idea of "1/2A Multi-Engine Profile Scale".  May it rest in peace.  Looks like things have gotten totally out-of-hand.   :'(

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 09:43:02 PM »
So much for the original idea of "1/2A Multi-Engine Profile Scale".  May it rest in peace.  Looks like things have gotten totally out-of-hand.   :'(

The original format was great, inspired builds of some really great models, and was held at a perfect site. Sounds to me like just another case of fixing things that aren't broke. HB~>
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Jim Roselle

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 10:09:59 PM »
The original format was great, inspired builds of some really great models, and was held at a perfect site. Sounds to me like just another case of fixing things that aren't broke. HB~>

Actually that perfect site is quite broken. Last year a great deal of time was spent taping cracks and a couple of models were still flipped. The contest was moved to Phoenix for sake of a site suitable for the small wheels on 1cc models.

As far as the single engine classes being added, why not try something to foster more participation?  The more the merrier.

Jim

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 08:19:25 PM »
Jim is correct about the former site (Circle #1 in Tucson):  it's 'FUBAR'.  That's why they moved it to a smoother site.

As for the addition of additional events, I guess it can't hurt.  I just remember the original intent of the 'multi-engine profile scale' event:  fly a minimum of 10 laps with all engines running, added to your static score.

Now we have additional maneuvers added -- including some kind of 'dipsy-doodle' thing being called a 'Figure Eight'.

At any rate, since it's no longer my 'baby', have fun guys!

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 10:27:10 PM »
Yup, just obsoleted most of the limited twins already built, new class's are ok ,leave the origanal class;s alone
rad racer

Jim Roselle

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 11:40:30 AM »
With exception of the single engine classes these are the same rules as last years contest. To the best of my knowledge there were no complaints at the actual event. Granted I'm no expert as it was my first model airplane contest of any type but I did notice that everyone involved seemed to be having a good time.

Jim

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 02:16:55 PM »

unless i missed something ,the multi engine limited class had take off, fly 10 laps with all engines running and land
rad racer

Jim Roselle

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »

unless i missed something ,the multi engine limited class had take off, fly 10 laps with all engines running and land

Last year was take off, one lap with all engines running makes it official, and five options. One point for each lap with all engines running, up to ten laps. Last year was my first time being involved so I can't speak to what the rules were prior to that.

Jim

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »

I just wish this contest was about 1700 miles closer. :(
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 03:07:56 AM »
Hi Jim,
Yes, I have a T-34 and will try to finish a twin even if it's a kit.
Couldn't leave you on your own.
Chris...

Hey Chris,

The venue is Castles & Coasters auxiliary parking at Metro Center.  We have a swath of parking lot that's in great shape with room for three circles. Musciano/Scale one one, speed and carrier on the other two.

Are you building something for 1cc scale? You could do a single engine so I'm not the only one!

Jim

Jim Roselle

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 06:30:36 PM »
Hi Jim,
Yes, I have a T-34 and will try to finish a twin even if it's a kit.
Couldn't leave you on your own.
Chris...

I appreciate that Chris. I spoke with Leroy Black today and it sounds like he is going to build a single as well. At the very least we have 1st - 3rd covered and we all go home with something for the trophy case!

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 07:41:14 PM »
Sounds good, Jim.

Jim Roselle

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 07:24:33 AM »
Flyer and discount hotel info for this event here:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/event's/phoenix-carrier-plus-xlx-oct-22-23/

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 09:51:20 AM »
 ;D Greetings!  I see you are allowing proxy pilots!  I have a couple that I'd like to enter but I doubt very seriously that I will be making the trip from Florida to participate.  I have flown both of them successfully and had a ball doing it.  Can you make some recommendations as to who would be willing to fly proxy entries?  I can ship them via Greyhound Freight.

Jim Roselle

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 09:58:02 AM »
;D Greetings!  I see you are allowing proxy pilots!  I have a couple that I'd like to enter but I doubt very seriously that I will be making the trip from Florida to participate.  I have flown both of them successfully and had a ball doing it.  Can you make some recommendations as to who would be willing to fly proxy entries?  I can ship them via Greyhound Freight.

Jim,

We would love to have your entries! Ken Gulliford is the CD for 1/2a scale, his email is on the flyer. I would suggest contacting him to work out logistics for proxy flying.

Thank you,
  Jim

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 09:30:07 PM »
It wasn't "broke", but they "fixed it" anyway.  Another fun contest falls victim to "improvements" (?).

Have fun, folks.  I'll pass.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here